Thread: barrel twist

Default barrel twist

i just bought a new thompson pro hunter in 243 win. it has a 1 in 10 twist what bullet weights will this barrel stabilize best?? I will use this gun mainly for wolves, does anyone have any preferred bullet/powder that they have used?? thanks in advance

Greetings Yukon...with a 10 twist barrel I suspect that you can stabilize pretty much anything that you can fit into the 243.

I have a 257 Roberts with a 10 twist, and it will stabilize everything up to and including 120 grn Partitions and A-Frames, but not a 115 grain Barnes TSX. Remember that it's the length of the bullet that is important when talking about stabilization, and it is true that weight and length are often interchangeable but not always. The Barnes TSX's are longer bullets when compared to their weight equivalent counterparts from Nosler and other companies. For example, the 120 Partitions and 120 Swift A-frames are shorter than the 115 TSX's.

BTW, I've been all over your beautiful Province and the people there are typically great folks.

I have a new remington 700 sps rifle in 243 with a advertised 1 in 10 twist. It does not like 95 or 100grn bullets of any variety I've tried so far. The 80grn and lighter shoot just fine.

This of course could just be this paticular rifle and as I will be varmit hunting with it I don't feel like I need anything heavier than 80grn rounds.

Default 80 gn and below

Plumber , I have the same results , same twist but different brand of rifle and it does'nt like anything heavier than 80 gn.between 80 and 60 it's very accurate, above 80 it's poor.

Default .243 bullet twist

Agree with Plumber and Col M. I have a custom 243 light varmint gun with 1:10 twist. About 15yrs ago I went thru the tedious task of finding the most accurate load/bullet. Found the Berger 80 gr flatbase on top of IMR 4350 to be the most accurate by a good margin. What that means for any other gun or load combo who knows. I imagine mileage varies on this subject. BTW the bullet length is the most import part of the twist rate--stabilization issue. But, there are many factors. The length of the Berger 80 gr flatbase is ~.915".