Thread: Anybody reload for ducks? Load suggestions?

Default Anybody reload for ducks? Load suggestions?

I just ordered some #2 steel shot and I am trying to work up a load. I have a pound of Alliant Steel Powder and a Steel conversion kit for my MEC 600 jr. Any component suggestions would be much appreciated.

Just be sure to use the wads for steel as they are much thicker to protect your barrel. It would be interesting to know if you can load cheaper than buying the wally world shells. I checked into it a few years back and the components were not cost effective. Could you post what it will cost per box. I may try again.

Default ducks

From the little bit of duck hunting that I have done up here - I would try a good 165 grain boat tail out of my .300 maybe next time

Default Cost effectiveness

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Just be sure to use the wads for steel as they are much thicker to protect your barrel. It would be interesting to know if you can load cheaper than buying the wally world shells. I checked into it a few years back and the components were not cost effective. Could you post what it will cost per box. I may try again.
    I'm not sure what the cost per box will be yet, but it will be more than Wally World shells. Shipping components from the L-48 is a savings killer and I have not found steel shot, wads, or 3-inch hulls in Fairbanks.