Thread: Cleaning up after others

Default Cleaning up after others

Took my son out for a hiking trip today and on the way home on the Seward highway I found a moose head sitting on top of a post on a guardrail. Yep, someone was trying to be cute and placed it there to keep an eye on the traffic as it passed by. The trouble was, before I could turn around and go get it, a lady from the state of Maine had stopped and was taking a picture of it. I appologised to her and told her that things like this should not happen.

How do we keep things like this from happening? Why would someone find this funny and want to do this? If the person who did this reads this post, your joke is over, you have no class, and I would love to return the trophy to you since its in the back of my truck.
    Adison

Could have been PITA or Green folks trying to make hunters look bad!

Saw some heads going down the road on 4 wheels-

Also saw a couple squashed animals in the middle and side of road.

I wouldn't get to worked up about it.

Default Stupid thing to do

But at least whoever got it wasn't a headhunter.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I'd call the Troopers and have them look for the person and cite them for Wanton Waste.

According to some on here that is what has happened.

Salvage - to transport the edible meat, skull or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wildfowl to the location where the edible meat will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in a manner which saves or prevents the edible meat from waste, and preserves the skull or hide for human use.

Allen, I understand your points on the other thread, but was this comment really necessary? Besides, you hightlighted skull, but not as required by statute, which, of course, a moose skull is not required to be salvaged in many areas.

-Brian

Thumbs down Green?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
    Could have been PITA or Green folks trying to make hunters look bad!
    We're having a bad week around here, I guess. First military bashing, now environmentalist bashing.

For the record, there are plenty of environmentalists who hunt. Shucks, most of the founders of the American environmental movement were hunters. I know more members of the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council who hunt than I do hunters who aren't SEACC members.

It's human nature to assume the people we hang around with are the norm, and everyone else is unlike us. It's also incorrect. You may well hang around with hunters who always come out on the side of development over environment. How does that come to mean environmentalists hate hunting and are out to get us?

Maybe we all need to calm down a little...

I am not trying to turn up any flames here but I can't agree with 8X57 on this.
    Environmentalists may truly not be against hunting (although you will find a higher percentage of anti-hunters among them than the general population), for the sake of argument I'll give you that right now.
    However, environmentalists are leading the charge to lock up land in parks and other special use designations that don't allow hunting.
    Environmentalists are also leading the effort to restrict access by the public (hunters) to public lands.
    So if they don't want to stop hunting, they only want you to hunt in your backyard.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    We're having a bad week around here, I guess. First military bashing, now environmentalist bashing.

For the record, there are plenty of environmentalists who hunt. Shucks, most of the founders of the American environmental movement were hunters. I know more members of the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council who hunt than I do hunters who aren't SEACC members.

It's human nature to assume the people we hang around with are the norm, and everyone else is unlike us. It's also incorrect. You may well hang around with hunters who always come out on the side of development over environment. How does that come to mean environmentalists hate hunting and are out to get us?

Maybe we all need to calm down a little...
    Of course we are all environmentalists, unless your a scumbag living in filth and garbage , there is a difference between that and “Greenies” as I refered to.
    Anyone who thinks that humans are not part of the eco system in my book needs bashing.......
    PITA is full of ignorant idiots but arent always Green. Most greenies hate my boat, 4 wheeler, suv, log cabin and are anti-2nd admendment. If you hate these things too then I'll have to bash you too.

I am quite calm thank you very much.

Default We are Conservationists.

I'd like to think all of us around the ODD are conservationists. Simply put folks who respect the land and its wildlife and want it in balance through hunting, trapping etc., (or not)--often prudence dictates that seasons be closed--nothing to do with peta or anything else, just good stewardship to let game populations to replenish. Wolf control etc. might be warranted.

Most environmentalists I know are fanatical and arent conservationists. They want all or much of the land and wildlife left untouched.

Certainly there are exceptions.
    Like um....AL Gore, the Tennesee "hunter" and staunch environmentalist. Ug.....

Default Semantics

Bill F,

I envy your boat, don't much care for your ATV or SUV, and am saving my nickels toward a log cabin of my own. I believe all 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights are important. I hunt, load, shoot, and sometimes disagree with the NRA. If you "have to bash," then you will, but I sure prefer discussing.

fullkurl,

I'm not going to try and parse the difference between 'conservationist' and 'environmentalist'. We could go back and forth all month, and in the end we'd probably each think the other was trying to hijack the language.

I posted on this thread because I don't think sometimes disagreeing with Mike Echo about ATV access necessarily means someone would put a moose head on a guardrail in an effort to sabotage hunting in Alaska.

There are extremists in the environmental movement who burn down ski areas. There are vegetarians who want to ban hunting. There are hunters who go out drunk and shoot at noises. There are developers who dump toxic crud in salmon streams.

It's as wrong to define environmentalists by the extremes as it is to define hunters by the extremes. And we don't help anybody by it. I've seen bills that would protect hunting opportunities in Alaska shot down because the legislators who introduced them were 'too green.' That sort of thing gets under my skin. It's the perfect example of labels getting in the way of something just about everybody wants.

Default Good on you, Mauser!

Too often generalizations distort perceptions of actual reality. Not all are one way or another. There are an infinite number of ideologies in every group, some extreme and some moderate. "Greenies" = "Rednecks" in my book. Try to see things through your own (fair) judgements and not through what stereotypes have been in your face for the last X number of years.

And I am also envious of your boat,

Cheers!

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    Bill F,

I envy your boat, don't much care for your ATV or SUV, and am saving my nickels toward a log cabin of my own. I believe all 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights are important. I hunt, load, shoot, and sometimes disagree with the NRA. If you "have to bash," then you will, but I sure prefer discussing.

I call rattlesnakes, rattle snakes. Wolfs, Wolfs. Scumbags, Scumbags and Greenies Greenies. No sense in sugar coating anything. I have no appetite to discuss why any of these mentioned may posses some good. As far as I'm concerned they need shooting- aaaahhhh OK, I’d be willing to discuss which Island to ship the Greenies to instead of shooting them.

Bashing is a good thing, it keeps things lively, but I never go out of my way to do so.

Life is to short to worry about the little things- Use , but don’t abuse, is what I live by.

Default Its not just a word.

Maus, I disagree with you on this one.
    Normally, I'd say Okay, yeah its just samatics. In this case? No chance.
    Teddy Roosevelt coined the term, and he was a champion of the environment and of hunting and harvesting game. (Thats another term I use proudly to the chagrin of others). Surely you know he started our National Parks system--like Yellowstone.
    The term Environmentalist has become symbolic of something ugly and politically fashionable and out of touch with balance in nature.
    (eg: Unhuntable deer by the dozens in the town park eating twinkie wrappers etc. out of the dumpsters.)

I suppose we could say as good stewards of our wild places we are "environmentalists" but unfortunately the word has been become twisted and ambiguous.

Default Conservationist

I NEVER want to labeled an environmentalist. Its a dirty word to me. It epitomizes some of the things in life I truly loath: tree-huggers, anti-hunters, and liberals.

Tim

Aren't we making a big jump here from dead moose along the road to hunting?
    Much more likely it was hit by a truck than shot.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.