Thread: Skunk smell

Default Skunk smell

So me and a friend were rabbit huntin today and came across a smell that reminded both of us (midwestern boys) of a skunk. I was pretty sure that there aren't any skunks in alaska... so what did we smell?

A bear? A sasquatch?

Thoughts, opinions?

schmidty

Default Lure

You probably cought wind of a trappers lure. Some trapping lures have skunk essence in them.

You are probably right archer, and that didn't even cross my mind. But there is a trapline close to the trail we were on.

Question pack rat?

What about a pack rat? Is there any of those in AK? Their stench is kinda skunky, musky smelling especially around their hangouts.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default skunk stank

Sounds/smells like fox urine to me. Trapping lures could also do it.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default wolverine?

Badgers smell a lot like a skunk sometimes - what's a wolverine smell like?

Default Skunk Smell

The whole weasel family i.e. mink, ermine, wolverine that has glands that protrude a similar smell to skunk with a little twang of there own or like the other posts suggest you were close to someones trap set.

I ordered skunk juice lure online. The post office called my wife to come pick it up because it stunk up the whole building. She got there and the box was outside sitting in the snow. Powerful stuff, goes for hundreds of yards.

Default Animal Musky smell

There's been a lot of times that I've smelt bears/moose/deer/elk and other varmits that have a real strong musky smell from their glands. I've even cleaned squirrels that stunk.

From my farming days, I remember a native plant that if eaten by dairy cows, would make their milk stink like a skunk. They had to eat alot of the plant over a period of time to create the foul smell. If I stepped on the stem of the plant, I could smell the skunk odor.

Default Gusto Rules!!

A common and good trapping lure up here is Gusto. We run across it quite frequently, let's us know pretty quick someone's probably trapping pretty close. Usually you can stop where you are and look in a circle and see martin boxes, leaning pole set, or a cubby. Sometimes you can't spot the sets because everyone sets their own way. We also use it on our line Has a nice long distance aroma and you will definitely pick out the skunkiness in it. It is made with their blend of other ingredients and has pure skunk quill added to it.

Default Skunk Smell

Could be your partner ate a big bowl of chili for dinner. Ha Ha

Default I'm not crazy..

I am also from the lower 48, Montana to be exact. My wife and I were unloading our sleds at the big p/l at the end of Petersville road yesterday and I smelt a skunk. I had no idea that other animals would smell that bad. I know that the weasel gfamily stinks, but I thought that Pepe had them topped.

Skunk Cabbage?

Default gusto

Chances are it was gusto (trappers lure). It is great stuff. As always, take caution when out and about with your pup if you smell skunk and think there are traps around. I would hate to see your pet get pinched, and trappers do not need the bad press.

willing to bet it was magnum marten petrleum jelly and skunk pee.

Mercaptan, the stuff they mix into natural gas and propane so you can smell it. Smells alot like Gusto but twice as strong! Thought about using it for trapping but dreaded the thought of it leaking in the cub.

Default Magnum martin

It is strong stuff. lots of skunk in it. Hillbilly

Default fox den

Fox also has a very "skunky" odor. A little sweeter than skunk, but if you are near a den area you will definitely find it reminiscent of skunk.

That was pepe le'pew, the west coast dems sent him up here to protest palins game management