Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 7.62x39 any good?

Default Saiga 7.62x39 any good?

I am looking for a Barack Obama special and came across a Saiga 7.62x39. I don't want to throw a lot of money at an AR15 so I was looking at AK 47s when I found the Saiga. Shoots the same ammo and seems to be fairly comparable to an AK 47 without the huge price tag. I don't want anything fancy but want to get a semi-auto before BHO and his comrades potentially make the assault weapon ban permanent. An SKS would do, but I don't like the fact that you have to monkey with the magazine to get it out; its not that detachable.

Anybody know the scoop on this type of rifle? BTW, it also came in .308.

Thanks for your opinions,

Tim

The Saiga 7.62x39 is a very good rifle and still a good value if it can be found for less than $500. It is essentially a Russian made, sporterized AK47. The complaint that I have with all Saiga's is magazine cost and availability. The Soviet caliber one however, can be converted/modified to accept AK mags, which would be the way to go IMO.

I found mags online (Gun Broker) but other than that I haven't looked around town. I was wondering if it would accept AK 47 mags. I thought it was pretty much an AK 47.

Thanks for the insight,
    Tim

The mod to make it take AK mags isn't a big deal. I wouldn't bother with the Saiga mags.

Default saiga

A federal agent buddy uses one as his 'trunk' gun, went to the range, already modified, accuracy great.
    Standing at 50 yards, about 1.5 inches five rounds, flawless operation, they are about 350.00 here in NC , for now..............
    Get it and spend the remaining monies on lots and lots of ammo.
    www.aimsurplus.com

Default saiga

I would go with an AK-47

saiga's are sporter versions but why not buy the real thing, with no mods to the magwell you can have an AK that takes ak mags.

The reason to go with the Siaga over the currently available in the US AK is that is is made in Russia. It is much higher quality than a Yugo or WASR built on a Century receiver IMO. Russian AK's start at over a grand over here if you can find them.

Default Saigas

There is quite the cult following of these on the web at saiga-12.com I'm actually looking at the Saiga 12 ...

The AK 47's are $550-600 locally (for the Bulgarian and Romanian versions) and the Saiga's run about $450 new, at least I believe they were new. Mags tend to run +/-$35 each on gun broker's, including shipping. What kind of mod needs to be made to make it receive the AK mag? Seems like the AK mags are more available locally.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by blakdimnd View Post
    There is quite the cult following of these on the web at saiga-12.com I'm actually looking at the Saiga 12 ...
    Pretty cool sight. I haven't seen the Saiga .410 or 12 gauge locally. Pretty cool though.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    The AK 47's are $550-600 locally (for the Bulgarian and Romanian versions) and the Saiga's run about $450 new, at least I believe they were new. Mags tend to run +/-$35 each on gun broker's, including shipping. What kind of mod needs to be made to make it receive the AK mag? Seems like the AK mags are more available locally.

Tim
    Don't say I never did nothin' for ya

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=53631

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Don't say I never did nothin' for ya

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=80&t=53631
    Thanks for the link. Lots of info on that site!

Tim

Default saiga

There are other companies like vector, lancaster, arsenal to choose from.

Century's craftsmanship is really bad, you can tell they cut corners and dont put very much effort into their guns.

I have seen saigas converted into AK's and KREBS custom does it but turns around and sells them for 1200$ and up

Quote Originally Posted by STI-RangerII View Post
    I have seen saigas converted into AK's and KREBS custom does it but turns around and sells them for 1200$ and up
    And that's INSANE!

There's a video of a guy on YouTube converting his Saiga on his kitchen table, for goodness sake!

About $80 in parts, a few hand tools and you have an AK, but with a bolt hold open lever. $1200! What a racket!

I've gone through almost all of my 7.62x39 Arsenal Saigas. We are converting some for folks, but others take them as they are. You do have to do some mods to make them usable with AK mags, lucky I was able to snag a bunch of hi cap Saiga mags which are usuable without mod. There are very high quality guns, like all Arsenal products.

Default Saiga 12

Here is a Saiga 12 that I just converted it's my seventh Saiga conversion the ten round mags make it a fun 12ga to shoot a bit
    Heavy but great all round 12ga best bang for the buk.
    the guys in our club have converted about 80 or so I got it down to two hours lots of fun.
    Be very careful of your parts count so that you comply with reg 922R.
    Last edited by frankd4; 11-11-2008 at 13:42. Reason: Info on parts count
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

I don't think I'd do any conversion right away, I've found quite a few Saiga mags online-not too cheap though.

Don't mean to sound too dumb but what is 922r FrankD? I thought that pertained to the Clinton Era AWB?

Tim

Default Saigas

Saigas are imported in a sportter configuration if you put a pistol grip and a collapsible stock you need to have a certain number of American made parts, I change the fire control group, gas piston, gas regulator and the AGP mags count as three separate parts each gun has a certain parts count from factory and you need to keep track in order to be legal.
    Go to Saiga12.com they have a step by Step conversion guide the rifles will require a bullet guide that you can get from Danzig Arms he has a link on that forum . The front tronun has lugs that keep regular AK mags from going in all the way by grinding these lugs you can use regular mags or you can convert the AK mags by using a Dermal tool they also have the how to on the Saiga12.com forum.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

any one have experience with the 308 version? i really want a semi auto 308 but M1A1 and AR-10's are way expensive!!! I know they will have to be Sagia Mags but still not too bad considering price compared to the others.

Thanks Frank. I thought that only applied during the AWB. BTW, nice piece of equipment there!

Once I get the gun I'm going to have to spend more time on the saiga.12 forum. I read the link and perused it based on someone's recommendation off this thread.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast