Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burbot fishing 101?

Default Burbot fishing 101?

I have very limited experience fishing for burbot, tried my hand jigging for them this past fall. I almost caught one. Anyway I would like to find out how other folks fish for them. If forum members have any tried and true methods I would really appreciate reading about it. Thanks

I fish for them through the ice only (to much summer stuff to worry about) and I use 2 methods, Jigging and sets. Jigging I have found works well during weird weather patterns, i.e. super cold for a long time then a fast upswing in temps, don't know why. My sets are easy, I use a 1" dia. wood dowl 24" long (24" makes it easy to calculate the water depth) I wrap them with braided daron 80lbs or what ever I have left over from the butt season on the reels. Wrap approx. 80ft on, slide a 1oz. egg weight on the line and then tie a very heavy swivel snap on the end. Then I tie up gannons (24" long) with circle hooks. Bait, whitefish belly works well but I allways use 4"herring cut in half and that works just fine. Drop it to the bottom and leave about 2-3 foot loop out on top of the ice. Fish takes it swims off and bam! Hook up, drive by with the sno go, if the loop is there, leave it alone, loop gone, fish on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hey DSLDOG-

How do you think an artificial fish looking bait would work such as the "Gulp" saltwater baits in herring or other scent? They work well for halibut and other saltwater fish, and I have caught lakers on them too. Just wondering.

Nukal'-
    I used to catch "atiaq" through the ice with just a daredevil in those little tundra streams where pike are too. One time I took a lady school teacher newly arrived from the lower 48 hooking for pike and she pulled a burbot up through the hole. She dropped the stick and ran away crying "Snake!".

I've done some fishing on the tanana in the summer and where you see a clear water stream coming out of the bank, throw out a set line with 5 hooks on it about 5' apart, has always worked for me. There are some spots if I'm going to fairbanks that I will throw out a couple of lines and pick them up on the way back, never fails. Just make sure you mark them for the F&G. Have a 18"er in the frezzer right now

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    How do you think an artificial fish looking bait would work such as the "Gulp" saltwater baits in herring or other scent?
    Keep it quite about the "GULP BAITS", GEEEEESSSSSS!

Naaa, they work OK with a herring oil and jigging them, but, what really works well Jigging is a lure like a "Swedish pimple, airplane jig, crocodile" with a thin strip of belly meat from white fish, not sure if it's the "wigglyness" of the strip of meat or the scent, but they really hammer them. Burbot are very predatory, especially around the spawn beds in the spring time.

Default PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Keep it quite about the "GULP BAITS", GEEEEESSSSSS!

Naaa, they work OK with a herring oil and jigging them, but, what really works well Jigging is a lure like a "Swedish pimple, airplane jig, crocodile" with a thin strip of belly meat from white fish, not sure if it's the "wigglyness" of the strip of meat or the scent, but they really hammer them. Burbot are very predatory, especially around the spawn beds in the spring time.
    Ya got me wondering...

What size circle hooks are you guys using?
    Hey sayak, when I brought a couple of burbot home this past fall that one of my friends gave me, my wife reached into the bag and grabbed ahold of one pulled it out and became so startled by the looks of it she screamed a little, dropped the fish and didnt want to touch the fish again. Had to convince her that it was just a different species of fish. She had never seen one before. We had a good laugh afterward during dinner.

jigging at night is usually the best, tip you hook w/ some blackfish or whitefish which are readily available in your neck of the woods. sets like the above mentioned work real well. i think the best time to jig is spring time before iceout, this is their spawning time and they seem to feed anytime day or night. anykind of fish guts work real well for bait too.

Chicken liver!

Default Bacon...

if it leaves an oil trail when you put it in the water, you can't lose~!

a glow jig and a minnow are great here in MN but we cant stand them down here as they taste terrible down here and we cuss when we get them on our walleye rigs at night

Anyone ever interested in a tag long rookie wanting to learn to do the burbot thing I'd be will to go, day or night. I live in Wasilla if it maters.

Fished pike and rainbows, but gona try to make catch my first burbot and laker this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    Anyone ever interested in a tag long rookie wanting to learn to do the burbot thing I'd be will to go, day or night. I live in Wasilla if it maters.

Fished pike and rainbows, but gona try to make catch my first burbot and laker this year.
    +1. But I live in Anchorage. I have not ever caught but want to catch a laker and a burbot this winter.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

For what its worth I've seen folks catch them on salmon eggs at the mouth of rabedoux creek
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nukalpiaq - Try a 8/0 octopus circle for burbot. We have to have at least a 3/4 inch. gap for fishing the Tanana, so the 8/0 works good and it keeps the little fish under 20" at bay.

Default Burbot

We usually catch a bunch in the 20-32in range each winter on herring. Try to keep your bait as fresh as possible it seems they prefer fresh bait opposed to old nasty stuff. It seemed to work for us up north.

Good Luck, Have fun

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    jigging at night is usually the best, tip you hook w/ some blackfish or whitefish which are readily available in your neck of the woods. sets like the above mentioned work real well. i think the best time to jig is spring time before iceout, this is their spawning time and they seem to feed anytime day or night. anykind of fish guts work real well for bait too.
    Uhhh ...keeping in mind that using the viscera from game fish is illegal. You have to use the meat from game fish. Guts from non-game, non-regulated fish CAN be used however.

Brian

Uhhh ...keeping in mind that using the viscera from game fish is illegal. You have to use the meat from game fish. Guts from non-game, non-regulated fish CAN be used however.

Brian
    This is taken from the summary of statewide fishing regulations-
    Wasting of fish: The intentional waste or destruction of any species of sport-caught fish is prohibited. However, whitefish, herring, and other species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 (area-specific regulations), as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    This is taken from the summary of statewide fishing regulations-
    Wasting of fish: The intentional waste or destruction of any species of sport-caught fish is prohibited. However, whitefish, herring, and other species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 (area-specific regulations), as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes.
    Thanks... I got that backwards!

Brian

Here in MN they love smelt, Hooligans to you in Alaska. I get them all the time on my pike rigs when i used to fish pike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast