Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Coyote

Talking First Coyote

Went out this morning on foot and tried some calling in an area that I had seen lots of Coyote tracks. First stand I got a moose’s attention and herd something running off the hill above me, but did not see anything I could not take my but being frozen to the ground any more. So I decided to wonder down the trail a little farther. I stopped in the middle of a small opening about fifty yards from a small group of pine trees. I was not having much luck with the rabbit distress so I tried the squeaker that is attached to my shooting stix. I started of with just random squeaks then went to a long fast series of squeaks then just as I stopped I herd something skidding in the trail looked up and there he was fifty yards away broad side. I pulled the Encore in 22-250 out shooting off hand. NICE hit a little low but enough to do the trick. One yelp and he went down. About a 3/4 to 1 mile pack back to the car with a grin from ear to ear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2645.jpg   IMG_2651.jpg  

Nice yote. R u in the Interior?

South Central.
    Got this one a little north of Palmer.
    I don’t think they have been called much or at least not this one Because I was standing in the open it seen me before I seen him. He should have high tailed it before I was able to shoot but he just stood there

Nice yote, I'm hoping to get one in a snare this year.

Great job Mike. I'm looking to get one of those buggers in my sites in the next few weeks.

what bullet were you using out of the 22-250 and how much damage was there on exit?

Default Yah!!!!

Good job bud! The moon is coming in just right for us now, It's driving me crazy!! Going on my first night hunt on wednesday. Good hunting

Nice!

I keep hoping they'll make their way down the AK PEN in larger numbers. I only know of two in the area in past 7 years.
    Now what ?

There are plenty down there!! bgreen busted one last year. They seem to spend more time up high from what I have seen. Personally I would love to see them pretty much hammered as much as possible state wide. I feel that they are an invasive species and are only here because of mans expansion. I personally feel that we should not have a state funded extermination program but that they should be treated as the invasive species they are and there should be no regulation on their harvest what so ever.

From the ADF&G website:
    The wily coyote (Canis latrans incolatus), so deeply rooted in the history and lore of the American West, is a newcomer to the Alaska scene. Coyotes were first noted in the state shortly after the turn of the 20th century. Populations were first reported on the mainland of Southeast Alaska, then slowly expanded northward into the upper Tanana Valley from which they radiated in all directions. A population peak occurred around 1940; since that time numbers have declined in many areas. There are few records of the coyote north of the Yukon River, although they do occur in this area. Portions of the state with the highest densities of coyotes are the Kenai Peninsula, the Matanuska-Susitna valleys and the Copper River Valley.

Thats a nice big coyote, i hope to get my overnight wheels(motohome) back from getting worked on (generator pooped) and go north above petersville or eureka. I sighted in my savage 22-250 today and can hit a dime at 50ydrs. i moved it up 1/2 inch and figure that should still be dead on at 150yds?

I need to learn how to skin one before i shoot one though!! Do you skin it in the field when its warm or whats the best plan. What if it freezes?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There are plenty down there!! bgreen busted one last year. They seem to spend more time up high from what I have seen. Personally I would love to see them pretty much hammered as much as possible state wide. I feel that they are an invasive species and are only here because of mans expansion. I personally feel that we should not have a state funded extermination program but that they should be treated as the invasive species they are and there should be no regulation on their harvest what so ever.
    Correction... Read the Pen part missed the AK portion of stevelyn's post...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Correction... Read the Pen part missed the AK portion of stevelyn's post...
    Sorry about that. I usually write it "AKPEN".
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    what bullet were you using out of the 22-250 and how much damage was there on exit?

no exit.
    I was useng a ballistic tip and it exploded on impact 1.5" to 1.75" hole.
    I am switching to FMJ next time. Maybe even try my Bow

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowshoe View Post
    Good job bud! The moon is coming in just right for us now, It's driving me crazy!! Going on my first night hunt on wednesday. Good hunting

aksnowshoe good luck on your night hunt.

I tried that last year a couple time but no luck.
    I will be in Kenia for the full moons this year. So Maybe i will give it a whirl down there

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    Thats a nice big coyote, i hope to get my overnight wheels(motohome) back from getting worked on (generator pooped) and go north above petersville or eureka. I sighted in my savage 22-250 today and can hit a dime at 50ydrs. i moved it up 1/2 inch and figure that should still be dead on at 150yds?

I need to learn how to skin one before i shoot one though!! Do you skin it in the field when its warm or whats the best plan. What if it freezes?

Got busy with some wife demandes after getting it home so I just finished Skinning it about 20 min. ago.
    I like to use a couple old rabbit snares and hangem in the garage buy there feet and case'm out. Its not hard just time consuming to do a good job. Not sure what to do with this one may just tan it

Default Well Deserved

Nice job man, really happy for you after seeing you put all that hard work in and all that $ spent, you really deserved it man. Keep it up, I can't wait to get out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    Nice job man, really happy for you after seeing you put all that hard work in and all that $ spent, you really deserved it man. Keep it up, I can't wait to get out there.
    Forgot to say...thats a BIG YOTE

Supporting Member

Default Coyote pelt

If you get it tanned, my wife can make a beautiful hat out of it for you for 1/2 price. Leftover pieces and parts can make earmuffs for your sweetheart as well. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Freaking outstanding dude.Congrats!

Default doggie

Nice yote, new snow got to get out too...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast