Thread: Burbot-Poor man's lobster

Default Burbot-Poor man's lobster

Why do folks call the burbot, the poor man's lobster?

This fall I went out fishing with some friends from another village for burbot, we used blackfish for bait on our jigging sticks. Over the course of a few hours we had a few hits and misses, finally our host hooked into one and landed it. This was the first time I saw a burbot, man it looks strange almost like a catfish or an lamprey or a cod. While we were fishing another skiff pulled up with a couple dozen whitefish and a few burbot in their boat, the boys had been gillnetting and were successful. They gave us a few whitefish to take home for dinner. When we returned to our host's home in the evening, he cut the fish up into quarters and boiled them along with the burbot liver and roe. When it was done we scooped in some pieces into our bowls, I took part of the liver and roe along with a piece of the burbot midsection. We poured a little seal oil over the steaming fresh fish, shook a little salt over it and then started eating it. Interesting note, the flesh of the burbot is white and looked real good, tasted good too. I especially like the roe and liver, seal oil really added to the flavor. In my area I guess this is the usual and traditional method for cooking and eating burbot.
    Does anyone have a favorite recipe for burbot, would like to try them prepared differently. Another note, burbot are kinda boney too, not as bad as pike though. Thanks

If you boil burbot in sugar water and then dip them in melted butter it tastes just like lobster but a lot cheaper, hence, "poor man's lobster." A personal thought is, I wouldn't dawn burbot with seal oil, properly took away the great mild taste of burbot as the oil, I'm sure, is very strong.

Here's another one I like (I'm a burbot holic, love the stuff.) couple burby fillets and very small sprinkle of sea salt and pepper a dash of BBQ sauce and wrap up in tin foil and do it on the BBQ'S. Good stuff!

Another month or so and I will be out in full force to my secrete burbot holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can't fix stupid"
    "Our pets HEADS are falling off!"
    "I'll make ya famous"

Myself I like them deep fried in bater ( boneless chunks,) but I think I'll try that BBQ thing, thanks AKDSLDOG, Its funny because out in the villages they call them mud fish and only eat the liver and other parts. ( at least the western villages where I spent some time at)

Burbot are like Halibut to me. A good excuse to eat more mayonaisse!

We do the poor man's lobster thing with Halibut, too. No sugar. Lots of mayo.

If you want God's own lobster substitute? Quill-back rock fish. Incredible! No mayo necessary.

I have a couple of burbot that my inlaws gave us a few days ago. I am gonna try the boil in sugar water method and have them with melted butter. I'll give the other recipes a try too when I get a few more burbot this coming winter. Thanks.

Try 7 up and steam them as you would lobster. I also like burbot in beer, bay leaf, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Dip them in melted salted butter!

Another recipe is to use the back of the green enchalada (SP) sauce sold at the store and make green chili burbot enchiladas instead of chicken. Really good stuff!