Thread: Calling with AR-15

Default Calling with AR-15

Just thought I would let you guys know a little on my own research with the .223. I know there was a post earlier about this and just thought I would share my experience.
    Went out calling last night and had a nice coyote come in to about 100 yards. This would have been about the extent of my .2 mag range, but luckily i had the .223. The coyote was facing us and i hit him just off center in the chest with a FMJ. The bullet made a tiny hole in his chest and came right out his hind quarters with another tiny hole. Both of these holes were barley the size of the bullet.

So we will still have to seen on foxes but I assumer it would do the same. If the bullet didnt expand through a whole coyote I doubt it would expand going through a fox.

Also we calling in a lynx later that night. Came out on the field about 400 yards away. Would be a tricky shot with the .223. Cant wait until Decmeber 1st.

Thanks
    Carl

Great job on the yote!

Thumbs up

Great job and thanks for the pic! I've been wondering what my .223 would do on a coyote. Nice to know a FMJ works so well!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Congrats!

I too spotted a lynx a couple weeks back. I was wishing it was Dec 1st that day too.

Default Good job!

Congrats on the dog bud!!! Nice to see another interior hunter being successful!!

Default Nice yote

Ive been calling around fairbanks for a couple years now with limited luck. Good to see they do come to a call. Hillbilly

yea the calling seems slow. I be made about 20 stands this year with 2 fox and the coyote plus the lynx called in. So I wouldn't call it a great sucess rate but a sucess none the less. Thanks guys I will try to keep posting Picts as I call em in.

That's cool.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Lynx opened NOV 1st in 20B under the trapping Regs

Default pretty

love the dog, and that gun is soooo purty.

Lynx is open. Would have been a tricky shot so I am not too torn up. I guess I need to look at the regs more often. Thanks

Carl, what rifle are you running? Did you custom the white yourself?

Carl, I have used a 223 on the line for years went to a 22 mag now back to an AR similar to yours just not white The 223 is a great round but even FMJ when hitting bone can do some horrible damage to fox take good shots and things can go ok but be forwarned they can really do some damage to the thinner skinned critters when hitting bone
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I agree that the .223 might tear up fox, but I like the distance over the .22 mag. Plus if I ever get lucky and call in a wolf I would rather have .223. I shot a fox in my trap with the .22 mag and it tore it up a bit. Hopefully I will get a chance to shoot a few with the .223 to see how it works.

The gun is a .223 DPMS A-15. Its nothing too special but is super light. I have a leupold vx-3 6.5-20. Not really a tack driver but I can get 2 in. groups at 100 yards. Might try some different loads to tighten that up. The paint job was a rattle can job.

Thanks
    Carl

awesome job Carl.

Last year I busted a Fox with a FMJ out of my 30-06 tiny hole going in and a tiny hole coming out. Back home Ive seen coyotes shot with a 7 mag also witht he FMJ tiny hole going in and out.I ahvent tried it with my 25-06 or 22-250 yet in FMJ but will soon. Good job again on the callin'