Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Updates?

Default Delta Updates?

Headed down to Delta on Tuesday morning. Has anyone else returned recently? Any updates on where the buffalo are hanging out would be appreciated....if you already tagged out of course

My father took a cow this morning, but I don't know the details yet. Good luck to you. I'll probably be heading back up there with a friend in two weeks.

Right on Brian. I would appreciate the info....and likewise I will return the favor when we return as well.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    My father took a cow this morning, but I don't know the details yet. Good luck to you. I'll probably be heading back up there with a friend in two weeks.

congrats are on the way to your dad then Brian.. In all my years i have yet to even apply for the bison tags perhaps this year we may....

anyway good luck to all and congrats to the victors..!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I have not had any luck even finding A HERD YET

But I have been hunting the state lands mostly, every farmer I talk to is booked.

A little birdy told me superbowl weekend is the best weekend to go as everybody is at home watching the game.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Tatonka

There were a few different herds, about 250 total, circling around the Schultz farms and the Gerstle River last week - still real skittish and doing alot of feeding at night. Gotta be at the field looking at first light and should get out of the truck to get close enough (use whites). We were able to use a truck for cruising/glassing but had to use snowmachines to cross the field and retrieve our buff. Great hunt, good luck & have fun.
    Mike

Default where the bison near gerstle river

south of the highway or north of the highway?

You can pm me if you want.

Default Buffs

North of the highway. But, they are constantly circling from the Gerstle and Clearwater watersheds to the farmer's fields. It is all private property so you will have to get permission. We saw most of the buffs on Schultz tracts adjacent to the one we had reserved (although we had fresh tracks in the morning), so we were unable to get one there. I ended up getting one on a smaller tract I had previously reserved that was still close to the Gerstle, and they didn't charge a trespass fee! Highly recommend reserving a private tract, even if you have to pay the fee. We were able to take our time and crawl 500 yards to within 25 yards of the herd of 30 to take the lead bull - would have been impossible on one of the state tracts. F&G said the success is at about 33% so far so hunt hard.
    Mike

Default headed down tonight

going down tonight to try my luck again for bison or my cow moose. Anybody else going to be there?

I'll pm back with my ph# if you want to compare notes.

Andrew

Default dm798

how are people doing on the moose hunt lately?
    how have the temps been in Delta in the past week?

UNcle went up last weekend said it was cold..in the negatives and not a lot of cows running around. He was up there from Fri to tues only saw a cow and calf...saw tons of tracks. Saw one shot by the road.

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Default 798 moose

I dunno, you could ask the locals, but I don't think single digit negatives qualifies as cold in Delta!

As far as moose goes, my experience this weekend was that the easy truck/ATV access areas have been hit pretty hard and the remaining moose have wised up and are in hiding during the day. They aren't dumb, and the pressure is pretty intense in some areas. That said if you get away from the highway, I saw plenty to go around.

I worked a little bit for it, but there's one less out there now.

Yk

Default 798 Update

Definitely interested in any DM798 updates.

May also be looiking for a hunting partner this weekend, especially a local PM if interested.

thanks

BR

I'll probably be up again this weekend for bison with my friend who has a permit. That being said...the forecast is calling for lows of -20 and a high of -10. For this mild-weathered southcentral boy, that's chilly! I'm worried my friend might back out, otherwise we'll be there. Staying at the Silver Fox Thursday and Friday night, somewhere else Saturday if needed.

Default Moose

We were in Delta hunting bison last week and we lost count of how many moose we saw everyday....we had to have seen between 25-30 moose a day, mostly in the mornings right at day light and quite a few were between private land parcels and on the roads. But when day light hit, they were gone.

I'll probably be up again this weekend for bison with my friend who has a permit. That being said...the forecast is calling for lows of -20 and a high of -10. For this mild-weathered southcentral boy, that's chilly! I'm worried my friend might back out, otherwise we'll be there. Staying at the Silver Fox Thursday and Friday night, somewhere else Saturday if needed.
    Right on Brian,

We'll be renting a motorhome and heading up wednesday-sunday to try and fill my buddy's 798 tag. With -10 to -20 it'll be a little bit nippy but should be fine if dressed for it. Too bad I've climatized to Wasilla instead of when I was a tougher lad living in the interior.

Default warming up

Looking at Weather underground, it might be warming up - forecast says lows to minus 15 high around 5 above. do you have any problems getting your vehicles to start when it gets to be 15 to 20 below.
    Are you plugging them in using a generator or other device to warm them up?
    Thanks

I'm hoping that the Silver Fox cabins have an external outlet to plug my block heater into. I'm borrowing a diesel truck, so I know I'll need to keep it plugged in to be sure of it starting in the morning.

I've cleaned a caribou in -30 weather, so I'm not too worried....but I'd rather it be a tad warmer. I'm also wondering if negative temps will affect the bison movement. Any experience out there with Delta bison and negative temps?

I'm hoping that the Silver Fox cabins have an external outlet to plug my block heater into.

?
    Brian they do have plugs ,I keep mine plugged in .The cabins are very well heated and if your lucky you'll get the one with a sauna Pay cash and it's also cheaper
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast