Thread: .300 WSM more energy than .338??

Default .300 WSM more energy than .338??

Not very experienced in the energy, ballistics and what not of a fire round. Looking for answers that I can relate to from someone who knows this stuff.

I read about the .338 having more nock down power but when I look at ballistic charts the WSM 180grn passes the .338 225 grn in energy at 200yds and is close at 100.

Is 300ft lbs of energy at the barrel that much of a difference?

Is it because of the .38 diameter difference?

Wondering cause I want to know if I really need a .338 to go hunt brown bears if I already own a .300 WSM?

Thanks

.038... my bad

There is a lot more to bullet performance than "paper ballistics". A 338 WM has more "knockdown" than a 300WSM. Heavier bullet + larger diameter = more "knockdown". I cannot imagine many guides advocating shots at large brown bear over about 150 yards. I have a 300 WSM and a 338 WM. While I love my 300 WSM, when the animals get really tough and potentially dangerous, such as brown bear, the 300 WSM stays in the safe and the 338 WM, 35 WHELEN, or 9.3x62 come out.

Actually, the 338 WM has 300-400 more ftlbs of energy than the 300 WSM when comparing the fed load for the 180 AB with the 225 AB to over 500 yds.

The 300 WSM would be *adequate* IMHO, but the 338 would be better for big bears. Is this going to be your all around gun or just a big bear gun? As an all around gun, I might go with the 300 WSM... that's just me. For a secondary, bear only gun, I would go with the 338.

Energy equates to shocking power and is affected more by bullet velocity than weight. Bullet diameter and terminal ballistics will also play a role in shocking power as well as penetration. For brown bears, you probably want penetration more than shocking power in order to do more damage, which is what a 338 will do better as well as make a larger wound channel given the same type of bullet.

In another thread, a guy killed a 10 ft brownie with a 300 WSM, 180 gr AB at 300 yds becuase they didn't have time to close the distance. The bear went about 40 yds into the alders and died.

TSX's would be good bullet choices too.

Smile Energy, well....

A well constructed heavy 250 grain .338 caliber bullet in the right place or a well constructed 180 grain .30 caliber bullet in the right place. They will both do the job, eventually. Which one do you want for your brown bear when you are in the alder patch and visability sucks? Energy tables do not tell the whole story and they can favor velocity. My 2 and 5 year old grandsons have alot more energy and velocity then I do. But I hit harder.

Take a look at .325 wsm. Another nice round.

A lot of Browns have been killed with all the different 300 Mags. Heck, alot have been killed with 30/06's. But when I think of Browns, I remember this, because it's true : Two good friends are stalking a very, very big Brown that is sound asleep. The wind is in their faces, so they know they can get close. One is carrying a .338 with 250gr Nosler Partitions, the other a .375 with 300gr Partitions. At 50 yards, the bear wakes up and stands, but doesn't smell them. 338 whispers, "if he doesn't go right down, you shoot too". Blam, 338 nails him, nothing at all happens. Pow, 375 wacks him and down he goes, but gets back up, so 338 hits him, and nothing at all happens. 375 smacks him again, and down he goes, but gets back up! 338 nails him with the 5th bullet, and again nothing happens at all, so 375 wangs him with the 6th round, and he finally stays down. When skinning, they find that every shot was a "Kill" shot, but it took six of them to really kill, and the bear wasn't even "excited"! Folks can carry what ever they like, but in Brown country, a .375 is always in my hand. I can't stand the memory of that bear not even twitching every time a .338 went in.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    A well constructed heavy 250 grain .338 caliber bullet in the right place or a well constructed 180 grain .30 caliber bullet in the right place. They will both do the job, eventually. Which one do you want for your brown bear when you are in the alder patch and visability sucks? Energy tables do not tell the whole story and they can favor velocity. My 2 and 5 year old grandsons have alot more energy and velocity then I do. But I hit harder.
    My 375Wby with a 300gr TSX All kidding aside in THE thick stuff??? A 338!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Puma Hunter View Post
    A lot of Browns have been killed with all the different 300 Mags. Heck, alot have been killed with 30/06's. But when I think of Browns, I remember this, because it's true : Two good friends are stalking a very, very big Brown that is sound asleep. The wind is in their faces, so they know they can get close. One is carrying a .338 with 250gr Nosler Partitions, the other a .375 with 300gr Partitions. At 50 yards, the bear wakes up and stands, but doesn't smell them. 338 whispers, "if he doesn't go right down, you shoot too". Blam, 338 nails him, nothing at all happens. Pow, 375 wacks him and down he goes, but gets back up, so 338 hits him, and nothing at all happens. 375 smacks him again, and down he goes, but gets back up! 338 nails him with the 5th bullet, and again nothing happens at all, so 375 wangs him with the 6th round, and he finally stays down. When skinning, they find that every shot was a "Kill" shot, but it took six of them to really kill, and the bear wasn't even "excited"! Folks can carry what ever they like, but in Brown country, a .375 is always in my hand. I can't stand the memory of that bear not even twitching every time a .338 went in.
    SEE I TOLD YOU 375Wby 300gr TSX for me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS