Thread: Problems with my fly line...

Default Problems with my fly line...

I use sinking tip line for reds with 12lb test for leader with a small fly and I have had a problem with the line. The line streches and will eventually come apart. I have tried expensive lines, cheap lines all with the same result. Does anyone know what is going on and what I can do to prevent it? (besides catching fewer fish
    Thanks!

Depends on where it is parting. DEET eats fly line for lunch. The core of 8-weight and lighter fly lines is usually 20# test, so that shouldn't be a problem. If you're getting any shredding, is there wear in your tip guide or a crack in a ceramic stripper?

what are you cleaning your fly lines with?

flyline just doesn't last forever. Especially if you are using it to haul in reds. I usually end up getting new line every 2-3 seasons.

But you can take steps to extend the life of the line. Clean the line often and use the line treatment pads. Store the line off the reel in the winter.

Flyline just needs to be replaced every once in awhile. But you should probably be able to get an extended life from teh higher quality lines.

Good luck with the line.

cmo,

I have lines that are approaching 6 and 7 years old. I am hard on gear and they work almost as good as new. Heck early on I never cleaned them, never even heard of it. These lines were used and came in trades by a buddy who is also a guide and fished pretty darn hard with them also.

Reason I asked what he's cleaning them with is I've never heard of a fly line stretching and coming apart. Sure it stretches some when a fish is on, but I don't believe this stretch is permanent to any degree though maybe a little, not enough even over a summer or two to seperate and competely fail?

The other question I'd have to ask is where you (sockeye orange) are storing your lines and/or reels with lines both in/during the season and off season?

Somewhere something is going on here that is ruining them. I don't think it would be the lines themselves, even cheaper lines, but good lines to boot. Have you contacted the manufactorers? Has it happened with lines from different companys too? Say SA and cortland, orvis or the upteen billion other line makers?

Default Thanks for the replies...

I usually leave the line on the reel and NEVER clean the line, so maybe that is my problem. What happens is the the line streches and the covering will split in multiple places. Then it will get worse as is goes through the rod guides. What type or line (brand and all) do you guys use for reds?? I found a line last year (the one that split this year) that is weighted with sink tip (600 grain I think) and I LOVE IT. That with a weighted fly has worked well for me and the reds. How about you guys?

PS- I caught the biggest Dollie of my life Sunday on the Kenai, I was shaking it was so big! Tight lines....

Sounds like cracking and delamination. That's either a manufacturing or chemical problem in most cases, but depending on where it happens on the line it is also mechanical- usually from walking on the flyline while fishing. Cortland released a line a few years back that had the problem, and they since discontiued it. I was afraid you were using Armorall as a line dressing like some folks, which can lead to serious cracking in some lines.

I'm up for Rio lines mostly now, though some of the new ones from SA have outstanding tapers and finishes. Their Expert Distance line is even better than the Rio Windcutter, and I didn't think I'd ever say that about any line. You have to be on top of your casting game, but when you are that thing is an absolute rocket for long casts. I've added about 20 feet to what I can do with a Windcutter, plus it has less tendency for trailing loops with weighted flies or excessive turnover at the finish.

Not much into sink tips in freshwater myself, except for the heavy sinker from Rio for saltwater. Use those on my 12-weights and 14-weights, and they sink better than anything I've tried, yet stay flat (compensated).

that or its a form of dry rott due to storage issues (heat and sun)?

I've still have quite a few of my old lines and up till this summer used the more often then not and they're still working great.

Armorall actually does work well. I don't use it but know folks who do and they have no problems using it as it as a line dressing. That said they mentioned staying away from anything but the original AA. It's pretty rare I have to treat my lines though I do clean them after every outing in warm soapy water. WHen I do treat them I am using glide and it does pretty darn good.

TradBow is right about longevity. I probably have fly fished more and longer than anyone you know. I bought some of my old "peach" 444 lines from Cortland in the late 1970's and they are still going strong.

Check the manufacturer recommendations for cleaning and care of your specific lines and follow them. Even with very heavy use, you should get decades of use from your lines rather than months.

Default Thanks boys...

Having expensive fly line only last one season is no fun...thanks for the info, I will put it to good use!