Thread: More ar questions

Default More ar questions

Well i finally pulled trigger on an AR build and ordered a kit from Del-Ton. Now i have some questions about reloading. since 223 is getting harder to come by and a 500% increase may be in our future im thinking about reloading. I bought a AR with 20" barrel with a 1 in 9" twist. Im wondering what weight bullet works best in the barrel? Imgoing to be predator hunting with it so I need to take that into consideration. Also there any special considerations that are different from a bolt action type rifle? Ive been over at AR15.com but to much crap to sift threw. Thanks Hillbilly

Cool

Hey Hillbilly. I have been reloading my 223's for several years now. I have an AR and a bolt rifle. I have loads that are best for each and some that are more than decent for both. I use either a 60 grain Hornady V-max or a 50 grain Nosler ballitic tip. I have a 6 x 24 mil-dot on the bolt and 300 yard hits are common. I put a dot reflex sight on the AR and it will roll yotes @ 100 yards with ease. Hope this helps ya.

Default Fur freindly

gunrman are either one of those bullets fur freindly? Thanks for the info. Hillbilly

HB, used to shoot a lot of coy dogs and fox in Montana with a 22-250. Found the best for least least fur damage was FMJ downloaded to a slower speed. Shoot then through the lungs, small entry and small exit hole. Might run a few feet before they figured out they were dead. This was before you could buy FMJ,s in a 22 round. Pulled bullets from M16 rounds.

A 20" 1/9 should handle everything from 45 gr to 69 gr without a hitch. If I were going to do a pred load I would consider a 69gr match grade BTHP for long range stuff.

Default thanks

Thanks for the info fellas. Hillbilly

Default delton

hey hillbilly how do you like your ar from delton?

i ordered one too and im very satisfied with the upgrades i got from them, and the price is unbeatable! thanks

Default Ranger

I dont know. I havnt got it yet but its great to hear someone is pleased. I just ordered it last tuesday. I received conformation that it would be 1-2 weeks but checked the website 2 days later and they are saying 4-8 on custom builds. Im hoping its only 1-2. My boss ordered the week before and I think his have been shipped. What did you have built? Hillbilly

for 1:9 Twist I try to stick with 55-62gr handloads. Course, I am just starting myself. Ive had good luck with the hodgdon varget powder.

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    gunrman are either one of those bullets fur freindly? Thanks for the info. Hillbilly
    If your shooting wolf's and want a hard hitting fur friendly bullet in your 1-9twist 5.56/223, try the Barnes 62gr TSX. I have a couple of 1-9 that love this bullet.

Default delton

hillbilly, I got the mid length build with flat top, YHM quad rail, YHM flip down front sight, RRA 2 stage trigger (best **** trigger in my opinion) badger tac latch, cost me 700 with all accessories! then i mounted my ACOG on it and its freaking sweet. Ill try to post pics soon

The wait time now is 4-8 weeks, the obama craze began the day after the election fortunately I bought mine early so I only waited 2 weeks for it. Im thinking about ordering another one in full size classic style 20 inch with carry handle.

Default Sounds sweet

Id like to see a pic if you get a chance. It hasnt even been a week and im ready for mine. I ordered a flat top 20" with dmps ff hand gaurds, post ban barrel with no flash hider. Im trying to decide what scope to go with. Red dot or standard vari x. Hillbilly