Thread: XD .45 Problems?

Question XD .45 Problems?

Hey all,

I picked up a 'new' XD .45, and went out for a range trip yesterday. To my surprise, the gun would not go bang consistently. It would consistently strike light on the primers. At first I thought I had some dud rounds, but put them into another .45 and bang they went!

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Is this fix-able locally or do I have to send it to springfield

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Strip and clean well with a de-greaser, then re-oil with a good synthetic. Usually on a new gun there's some grease, wax, or some other gunk left over from manufacture or packing. Otherwise contact Springfield directly, they'll take care of you.

Default when I bought my first NEW handgun

I was instructed to clean the best I could before any range time. I since have cleaned every new gun that way. He told me if you don't the factory grease or whatever they use basically turns to CONCRETE and can do what has happened to you.

My new ruger lcp was pretty nasty new. So much grease and gunk, which is good and there for a reason. Never fired it yet, but very clean and cycles and dry fires nicely.

I always clean my 'new' guns before taking them out for the first time. May have to have Springfield take a look at it. I took it out again Sat. and it fired fine with Federal factory loads, but wouldn't shoot my WLP-primed reloads. Weird stuff.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Hey all,

I picked up a 'new' XD .45, and went out for a range trip yesterday. To my surprise, the gun would not go bang consistently. It would consistently strike light on the primers. At first I thought I had some dud rounds, but put them into another .45 and bang they went!

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Is this fix-able locally or do I have to send it to springfield

Thanks,

Jon

I was at the range the other day, a dude had same problem. I looked at his ammo and primers where high, requireing two hits......The ammo was bought at the last gun show here in FBKS.......Check your ammo.

I always clean my 'new' guns before taking them out for the first time. May have to have Springfield take a look at it. I took it out again Sat. and it fired fine with Federal factory loads, but wouldn't shoot my WLP-primed reloads. Weird stuff.
    Jon
    Did you compare the seating depth of the WLP primers versus the Federal? Did you ream your pockets before priming (maybe deepened them a tad)? You should have 0.003" depth from the face to the primer or so and less is OK as long as they are flush or just under at worst. If your primers are a little deeper and the primer metal a little thicker, then you could get misfires. I don't know how the Winchester primers compare to Federal factory primers as far as the metal goes. Anyway, just a couple of guesses since the factory rounds worked OK.

Brian

Thanks for the help guys! It turned out to be the ammunition. Primer placement was a tad too deep.

Thanks again!

Jon

Thanks for the help guys! It turned out to be the ammunition. Primer placement was a tad too deep.

Thanks again!

Jon
    That's why I like hand priming better than priming with the press. It's harder to smash a primer in too hard, and you can feel when it hits bottom 'snug' but not any more. When reamed with my pocket reamer and hand-primed with an RCBS hand priming tool, I find that the face of the primer ends up between 0.003" and 0.005" below the surface ...but always shoot fine in my various and sundry collection of guns.

Brian

Default Longer firing pin would reach deep primer better?

Thanks again!

Jon
    Anybody think to check the length of the firing pin? Reliability would be enhanced if you knew you could ignite deeply set primers, eh?

Lost Sheep

Hey Jon,
    Sorry to hear about your problem. If you aren't satisfied, shoot me a PM. I never had a problem with the .45. I never shot reloads through it either.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Anybody think to check the length of the firing pin? Reliability would be enhanced if you knew you could ignite deeply set primers, eh?

Lost Sheep

If I remember correctly the XD is striker fired, so I'm not sure how that works? Regardless it's functioning fine now

Phish- That XD runs great (Dad can't hit the broad side of a barn, but we're working on that) It was the other one I picked up that I was having problems with.

Jon

Phish- That XD runs great (Dad can't hit the broad side of a barn, but we're working on that) It was the other one I picked up that I was having problems with.

Jon
    Good deal. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to make it right. Glad you are satisfied.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default issues

alot of people if they arent use to grip safeties have problems .