Thread: Mosberg model 88

Default Mosberg model 88

I have a mosberg model 88 12 gauge and it occasionally drops a shell on the ground instead of loading it. It happens about 1 out of every 50 rounds. I was wondering if any one else had similar problems?

What kind of ammo? Is it the "all plastic" verity?

All plastic? no it wasn't all plastic. I have been using it for skeet primarily so I have been firing mostly 2 3/4 inch 8 shot remington shells.

after market spring?The spring can overcome the stop

It has the manufacturers spring in it. The only thing I did was take out the duck plug. I got the longest tube that I could and wanted to be able to use the full capabalities. I was thinking the gun could double as a self defense wepon, but the last thing I would want is for it to drop a shell on the ground at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    All plastic? no it wasn't all plastic. I have been using it for skeet primarily so I have been firing mostly 2 3/4 inch 8 shot remington shells.
    I donít know if they still make the stuff anymore but years ago you could buy very cheep shoot shells that did not have brass covered bases. I used to shoot this stuff out of my 870 when I was a kid. I never had one drop but I did have a few malfunctions.

I donít know if they still make the stuff anymore but years ago you could buy very cheep shoot shells that did not have brass covered bases. I used to shoot this stuff out of my 870 when I was a kid. I never had one drop but I did have a few malfunctions.

Have you called Mossberg?

It has the manufacturers spring in it. The only thing I did was take out the duck plug. I got the longest tube that I could and wanted to be able to use the full capabalities. I was thinking the gun could double as a self defense wepon, but the last thing I would want is for it to drop a shell on the ground at the wrong time.
    Im not a mossburg guy but check to make sure the spring is in the cup, they can get stuck on top causing more spring tension. oops brain fart. the carrier has to be up for the round to fall out. I'd say something is binding on the carrier.

It drops the shell when the action is worked. My guess is that the shell is ejected from the tube before the lifter comes down to catch it, but it is also posible that it doesn't release the shell till after the lifter moves forward. I have not gotten it to happen while opperating it slowly. If I watch the action closely it never happens.

Im guessing its new? Work the action several hundred times, she may be just a little stiff. Take rem oil and spray the crap out of the action. One of my nova's came a little stiff and simple needed to be worked.

Yes, I bought it new last year. It has had maybe 350 rounds through it. and dropped maybe 5 shells on the ground.
    Ok I will try your suggestion.