Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska hunting reg. questions

Default Alaska hunting reg. questions

I was hoping someone wouldn’t mind answering a couple of questions relating to Alaska’s hunting regulations.

• Why is there “No Limit” for caribou in units 8 and 10?

• Regarding Brown bear hunting; many of the units state “Every Four Years” and other units in the interior state “every year” and 2 of the units (19&22) even have “two every year.” Technically (not discussing ethics here), could a hunter harvest a brown bear in a “every four year” unit and then travel to unit 19 and harvest another, assuming he has the proper permit? Or if you purchase a specific permit are you required to only hunt that unit during that year?

• I have been reading a lot of information on this forum about the difficulty in drawing good hunts. Yet I have read through all 26 of the units and I have noticed that almost all of them have registration hunts even for sheep and goats which if I understand correctly, means that any resident can go pick up a registration permit and hunt until the that particular permit area is closed after quotas are met. Example: Unit 8 has registration permits for brown bear, goats, and elk. So doesn’t this mean that a resident could hunt those animals every year if he wanted, excluding brown bear if he should harvest one of course? Now I realize that some of the registration permits limit the time of the season a person can hunt vs. a draw permit which may allow the hunter a better (earlier) season. But it appears to me that at least Alaska residents have excellent opportunities to hunt a large variety of animals if their schedule will allow them the time and they are willing to travel. The only thing I can come up with that may cause some difficulty is that maybe there are a limited number of registration permits? But if they limit the number of registration permits, why wouldn’t they just make these draw permits? What am I missing?

Brown bear hunting, heres how it works....

You may go shoot a bear in a "2bears every year unit" and then go shoot 1 bear in a 1bear unit and you are done for the year. If you shoot a bear in a 1 bear unit you MAY NOT go shoot another one in a 2 bear unit, you are done for the year. Make sense? As far as the other 2 I need to go look at the regs to give a explanation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the no limit is pointless the bou are only in the area a day.... or three in most cases...

the book lays out all of the 1 a year 2 a year and 4 year bear tags... says this unit you may and that unit you may not...top left of the page bear hunter info.

some units have a liberalized limit.. per say 2 a year... and the next says one. a year..

YOU MUST shoot your first in a one a year area.. and your second in the unit that allows you two... you can NOT shoot one in the unit that allows you two first and then take a second in the unit that allows 1..or one every 4 years...

it is all there in your hunting information for bear hunters... i don't have it on hand... but know it is there inside out..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    YOU MUST shoot your first in a one a year area.. and your second in the unit that allows you two... you can NOT shoot one in the unit that allows you two first and then take a second in the unit that allows 1..or one every 4 years...
    You sure about this? This is NOT the way it was explained to me at F&G.

The statement made by AKDSLdog about bear hunting is backwards. Whatever the quota is on an animal in a specific area is the maximum number you can take in a regulatoryyear. If I kill a bear in a one bear area I can go to a two bear area and kill another. I can not go kill a bear in a two bear area and then kill a bear in a one bear area. As for the one bear every four years area. The same applies except if you kill a bear in a one bear every four years area you may not kill another bear in a one bear every four year area for another four regulatory years.
    Pg 17 the second paragraph explains this.

Residents are not required to buy permits. Residents have to buy locking tags for bears, which are good anywhere in the state.

You are correct with registration permits. Normally the number of registration permits is not an issue. Some registration permits are limited to the first 50 folks standing outside the F&G office.

Your statement about hunting a wide variety of animals is also correct. 70 days I will be in the wild chasing all of Alaska's critters next year. No registration or draw permit needed.

As for good areas. You are hunting Alaska. You will find a good area eventually without drawing.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    You sure about this? This is NOT the way it was explained to me at F&G.
    yes i am sure... first... not every one at the adfg office knows what they are doing.. talk to the trooper in the area if you want the goods for real. i learned this deal with the caribou hunt on the steece and the fed regs vs state people.

as for bears.. for instance living in Valdez.. unit 6 allows one blackie a year. unit 13 up the road allows 3..

i could take 1 in Valdez and 2 in 13.. but if my first bear was in 13 i could NOT hunt one in Valdez..

meet on face book here

Most people don't know that you can take two brown bears a year in a "one bear every year" unit. You have to shoot one in the spring first, though............

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Most people don't know that you can take two brown bears a year in a "one bear every year" unit. You have to shoot one in the spring first, though............
    Careful with that advice - you can indeed shoot two in one calendar year in such an area, but if you shoot one in the fall, you MAY NOT shoot another in the spring. The regulatory year goes from July 1 - June 30. The annual limits start over in July, not January. So...if you did something like that this year and shot one in April and one in October, you may not hunt bear again until next July.

Curt - I'm afraid you're wrong, buddy. You can shoot one in a 1/year area and then go shoot one more in a 2/year area, but not the other way around. If you're hunting in a 1/year area and have shot a bear anywhere in the state during that same regulatory year, you MAY NOT legally hunt as you have already reached your limit.

Cool

and then of course there are the predator control units where there are a whole 'nother set of "limits".
    the "no limit" on caribou (kodiak isl.) is actually a feral reindeer herd that is not that easy to get to.
    you can kill all you want as long as you can salvage all the meat....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

critrgitr - Here are some thoughts on your other two questions:

The caribou in unit 8 (Kodiak Island) were planted there and are considered to be deleterious. There is little pressure on them, but there is no conservation concern and the state would probably like to see them wiped out so they don't compete with the deer and goat populations. No limit is needed. (I don't know the full story on Unit 10, but would assume a similar situation.)

As for tags, you are absolutely correct that Alaskan residents have lots of opportunity to hunt if they have a flexible schedule and the means to travel. In addition to the registration permits you cited, there are also over-the-counter harvest ticket hunts (free) for moose, caribou, deer, and sheep in many units across the state as well as hunts for brown and black bear where you don't need any tag, just a hunting license. Our laws are complex, but the fact remains that there is tons of opportunity to hunt every year. A drawing permit is certainly icing on the cake, as that often means a better area, more access, or less competition, but the general season harvest ticket or registration hunts are great options as well.

yes i am sure... first... not every one at the adfg office knows what they are doing.. talk to the trooper in the area if you want the goods for real. i learned this deal with the caribou hunt on the steece and the fed regs vs state people.

as for bears.. for instance living in Valdez.. unit 6 allows one blackie a year. unit 13 up the road allows 3..

i could take 1 in Valdez and 2 in 13.. but if my first bear was in 13 i could NOT hunt one in Valdez..
    After reading it in the book, I stand corrected. As far as F&G goes, I couldnt agree with you more.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    After reading it in the book, I stand corrected. As far as F&G goes, I couldnt agree with you more.....
    You know i can not stress that enough...when planning on an area...doyour best to get a hold of the guy who patrols it. most of us DON'T like cops....( i know mudd...)but they really do know whats up in their area. Not to mention they can give you and idea of the locals you will dealing with...( cantwell trooper knows me well enough)

I have spent weeks the last few months dealing with TOK, Fairbanks, Glenallen, ADFG offices as well us fish and wild life and fed and state Biologist... I really learned one thing... if they can not fully explain the wording. they don't know what they are talking about. open the book and start finding phone numbers... they guys who wrote the book are in it and THEY WILL tell you straight. and the Troopers THATS HIS JOB... the kids at ADFG desk... get paid for the admin they do and many are college kids doing internships.. don't be afraid to NOT take NO for their answer.

meet on face book here

Vince set you straight on the Bear Question

Brian set you straight on the Bou Question

Most of the accessible units do not allow you registration tags for animals that are also classified into the trophy draw tags, theres a few exceptions (Kodiak) but they are limited and are usually tags that are more easily taken advantage of by locals of said communities. Throw an example out there and I'll esplain.

Thanks for the information guys. I think I understand it now. Just to clarify a couple of details; if a hunter kills a bear in say Unit 4 (1 every four years area), he may NOT go to a different 1 every four years area, say Unit 8, for the next four regulatory years? But he could go to a 1 every year unit the next year? In other words, a hunter kills a brown bear in Unit 4 and the next year he can hunt brown bear in Unit 13?

Lastly, I am assuming that whatever the max number of critters is allowed for a specific unit is the limit for all units combined. In other words, regarding black bear, unit 19 allows 5 bears every year, Unit 18 allows 3, and Unit 17 2. So, you could theoretically shoot 1 bear in unit 17, 2 in 18, and 2 more in 19, but no more than 5 total? Or is it different with black bears since the regs don't state "every regulatory year?" I know I am using extreme examples here - I wouldn't need to shoot 5 black bears a year, I am just trying to understand the technicalities of the regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    Thanks for the information guys. I think I understand it now. Just to clarify a couple of details; if a hunter kills a bear in say Unit 4 (1 every four years area), he may NOT go to a different 1 every four years area, say Unit 8, for the next four regulatory years? But he could go to a 1 every year unit the next year? In other words, a hunter kills a brown bear in Unit 4 and the next year he can hunt brown bear in Unit 13?

Correct

Lastly, I am assuming that whatever the max number of critters is allowed for a specific unit is the limit for all units combined. In other words, regarding black bear, unit 19 allows 5 bears every year, Unit 18 allows 3, and Unit 17 2. So, you could theoretically shoot 1 bear in unit 17, 2 in 18, and 2 more in 19, but no more than 5 total? Or is it different with black bears since the regs don't state "every regulatory year?" I know I am using extreme examples here - I wouldn't need to shoot 5 black bears a year, I am just trying to understand the technicalities of the regulations.

Correct

Looks to me like you understand it just fine.

as for every regulatory year... the book says that game bag limits are on the regulatory year unless posted otherwise.... there are some places that say per calendar year.

meet on face book here

Default Bottom Line

Read the Regulations - Regardless of whether informed by a ADF&G employee; a State Trooper or probably the worst source sporting goods employees the, individual is RESPONSIBLE for knowing the regulations. This means reading and UNDERSTANDING them.
    Joe (Ak)

You know i can not stress that enough...when planning on an area...doyour best to get a hold of the guy who patrols it. most of us DON'T like cops....( i know mudd...)but they really do know whats up in their area. Not to mention they can give you and idea of the locals you will dealing with...( cantwell trooper knows me well enough)

I have spent weeks the last few months dealing with TOK, Fairbanks, Glenallen, ADFG offices as well us fish and wild life and fed and state Biologist... I really learned one thing... if they can not fully explain the wording. they don't know what they are talking about. open the book and start finding phone numbers... they guys who wrote the book are in it and THEY WILL tell you straight. and the Troopers THATS HIS JOB... the kids at ADFG desk... get paid for the admin they do and many are college kids doing internships.. don't be afraid to NOT take NO for their answer.

once again, you've said it best!!! DO NOT take what they say at the desk for granted!!!! I have been in the office in Anc and after they told me what the boundaries were for a certain area, I found they differed from what the regs said and we ended up calling the area bio to find out that the map in the anc office was marked wrong. If all that makes any sense. Anyway, the people in the office do their best but they cant know it all. The least they can do is be courteous to us when we come in with ANY questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast