Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat sunk in Whittier harbor with 10 hours on it?

Default Boat sunk in Whittier harbor with 10 hours on it?

Anyone know the story behind this one? I would be curious on if there could be some new boat lessons to be learned from such a terrible situation.

In case the link gets dropped, the boat is a 2008 26' Fish Rite with only 6-10 hours that sunk in the Whittier harbor.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/908605952.html

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Anyone know the story behind this one?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/908605952.html

Jim
    Launch with out putting plugs in alone, go park the truck, see "joe" have a long talk, walking past the coffee shack and stop for a cup, bs with the owner, head to the restroom before leaving. 1hr has past and $$$$$$$$. Just a thougt, would like to know the true story too. ....Nice boat.

I've heard that the most common reason boats sink in harbors is because of through-hull fittings, meaning not closing the seacock and the hose coming off it (should always double clamp hoses to through-hull fittings that are below the water line). Don't know about this case, though.

This could be a steal for some one.
    My uncle growing up many years ago in Maryland launched a boat sank. He launched it and went to park the truck. by the time he came back it was under water. I was standing on the dock wondering why the boats was sinking. He asked me what happen. I told him he your the captin and you should know... Lucky the boat recieved no damage.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

$55K seems a bit steep for a boat that sat on the bottom. It could be a great winter project for someone with the time and know how, though. I would suspect the entire interior,wiring, all electronics, and motors would probably need replacing. I am curious and would like to hear the story. My bet is on a through hull fitting like skydiver suggested.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thumbs down Sounds fishy!

Sounds like a bad deal! Did you catch the part about the trailer being "as-is, normally double the price"? Why no mention of what happened? "Extenuating circumstances"? I wonder if this thing had a mishap coming off the barge into Whittier? It would be attached to the trailer during transport. Why would a salvage company be needed for something that happened at the boat ramp? How come the batteries didn't bake the whole thing if they were installed, which they would have been if it was going in at the boat ramp? Why no mention of just forgot the plugs and she settled at the ramp? Alaska Minning and Diving should be your first clue of something weird!

Default Sorry AKMAD!

Whoops wrong shop! Marita not Minning.
    (See what a bad rep does, people automaticly assume your the guilty one.)

Default oops again

I miss read the whole thing, about the trailer -my bad. Double the price of the whole thing not just the trailer???
    Sorry guys, sounds like a fantastic deal -I'll take two please!

makes you wonder if the pictures are "before" of "after"...

Lots of speculation, if someone really wants to know why not call em?
    I would suspect it is a "salvage" because someones insurance paid it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Lots of speculation, if someone really wants to know why not call em?
    I am not in the market, but was curious to what the story was so I called and talked with the sales department. The salesman said that it was taking on water and was listing to one side due to all the rain. The bilge pumps drained the batteries and she went down. He said there was also a problem with one of the scuppers. The bow was still above the surface, though. According to the salesman, troopers and harbor staff were on the boat several hours before it sunk and did not prevent the inevitable. The salvage company would not let anyone touch the motors until the tab was paid, so the motors were not flushed and are probably toast. He said twin DF 140's would run about $19K. The pictures in the ad are current and it can be viewed at the shop. I asked him what the bottom line price was and it was reasonable. May not be a bad deal.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Talking Buy the "unsunk" boat

They have the same boat, except with a Yamaha 250 on it, listed the day before for about 20K more.It is in Washington I believe. It must be "close to half the price of new " also????!!!!

Default I wonder...

This looks very similar to a boat I saw sunk over there two years ago. The weather was very rough and the guy was anchored next to the dock or something (it was not directly in the harbor itself, but near the breakwater I think). Anyway the story I got was that it was anchored off the stern and wind-driven waves came over the transom, swamped it and it sank. When I saw it, all you could see was the bow and bow railing. The rest was submerged. If someone does a search on the ADN website you could probably find the story.

It may not be the same boat, but it looks very similar.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Lets all pitch in and get... ODD party boat....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

There's got to be a superstition somewhere about getting bad luck by buying a boat that has been sunk. If not, there should be!

$55 does seem really steep to me. Wouldn't surprise me if marita bought it from an insurance company for $5k.

I would be very cautious buying a boat that has spent any time in the drink. I can only imagine all the "little" hidden things that they salt corroded that will rear their ugly head at the most inopportune time, which of course will be when you are running away from deteriorating sea conditions far away from any help whatsoever. I think 55k is a heck of a lot of money for this boat.

What would the empty hull be worth new? Cause that's all you're buying. I'd say that mess is worth half of the bare hull cost.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    What would the empty hull be worth new? Cause that's all you're buying. I'd say that mess is worth half of the bare hull cost.

I was thinking that too when I posted.

Wow how long would it have to sit for rain to sink it?? Must have been a lont time and a heck of a lot of rain!! Must be more to the story than that!

I would pay $25,000 if they would take payments but would never pay the $55,000 for just the shell you are looking at about another $25,000 just in motors, electrical wiring, & electronic's but like I said only if they would take payment's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast