Thread: Scope for AR-15?

Default Scope for AR-15?

I'm looking for a scope to top my AR. Since this is a predator hunting rifle mainly used in low light conditions at dawn and dusk I want a scope that fits those conditions. I've been thinking of buying a scope with a 50mm objective but have read the larger objective doesn't help nearly as much as the quality of glass and lens coating. Also I read a scope with a 40mm objective at 3 power will be as bright as a 50mm objective scope at 4x considering the optics are of the same quality.

I'm pleased with the 3-9x40 Burris FF2 on my current 223 and the 2-7x35mm Burris FF2 on my wifes 308. So I'm considering the Burris FF2 3.5-10x50mm. I also have the RRA 1" high rise one piece mount on the way.

Any other recommendations for a low light scope would be appreciated.

What config of AR do you have? What range would you like to be able to reach and what is your ballpark budget? Will this rifle be used for anything other than pred hunting? Can you send back the RRA mount?

Default ar

i agree with the other guy, depending on what rifle setup you have depends alot on your optic

Default I have scope question too...

I, like so many other civic minded peoples, just purchased my first AR. It has a carry handle upper, and I too am interested in different ideas for sights. It is a carbine, 16 barrel, and plan on using it for predator hunting. I've looked at everything from traditional scopes, to the red dots. What do you guys think?

The scope is waaayyy up there on an A2 upper, pretty much worthless IMO. Instead of spending money on a cheesy scope mount for the carry handle, I'd buy a flat top upper and replace it. They're only $100. This is just my opinion, but I hate to see scopes on carbines. The rifle you have is the perfect bedside HD gun and I'd leave it just the way it is. If you insist on putting an optic on it I'd do the flat top upper like I said before, I'd do something pretty low powered like a Leuppy CQT, an ACOG, an Aimpoint or Eotech with magnifier or something like a 1-4 power scope with QD rings.

I am too asking the same exact question as WG is. Mine is a stag 6L 24" 1/8 twist barrel. No carry handle here. Tactical? Lemme know....

The AR platform is a beautiful design, but there some things that you must consider when choosing a scope for it. The three main thing to look at are eye relief, height/diameter in relation to the charging handle and the length of the mounting rails on the top of the receiver. Often times the scopes and mounts that you love on your hunting rifle just don't fit right on the AR. I'm not gonna say that you can't go buy some $99 Bushnell and some Weaver rings and be happy, because you might be able to.
    If your looking for something better and more durable I'd recommend that you start by taking a look here -------------------->
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...art=1&total=74

Larue has a number of mounts that solve the ergo and fitment problems with placing a scope on an AR that are the best solutions in the business IMO. They also sell a number of scope/mount combos that they have tested for fit and eye relief and have found to work. If nothing else, it should be a good place to start.

Hunt_AK, that's a nice rifle you have there, take a look at this set up: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=262

tyrex13 is there any particular reason you don't care for the RRA high rise mount? I've read a few rave reviews on PM's and figured I'd give it a shot. I also ordered a winter trigger gaurd and an ambi safety.

This is a dedicated predator hunting rifle and I typically expect shots between 50-200 yards. I also call long before the sun breaks the horizon which means calling in the dead of night is quite common. Almost every trip actually. I want a scope to gather light very well and have the ability to reach out and touch a critter beyond 200 yards if need be (during the day). I've found lights at night to be a serious PITA and would rather have a good scope and use the light from the moon and stars.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Burris Signature Select 4-14x44. That's pushing my price limit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I'm looking for a scope to top my AR. Since this is a predator hunting rifle mainly used in low light conditions at dawn and dusk I want a scope that fits those conditions. I've been thinking of buying a scope with a 50mm objective but have read the larger objective doesn't help nearly as much as the quality of glass and lens coating. Also I read a scope with a 40mm objective at 3 power will be as bright as a 50mm objective scope at 4x considering the optics are of the same quality.

I'm pleased with the 3-9x40 Burris FF2 on my current 223 and the 2-7x35mm Burris FF2 on my wifes 308. So I'm considering the Burris FF2 3.5-10x50mm. I also have the RRA 1" high rise one piece mount on the way.

Any other recommendations for a low light scope would be appreciated.
    Take a look at the Trijicon Accupoints mildot....Great glass for the money. Yes they are 30mm tube so you'll require different mount. Worth a look for low light also, no batts, and great light collector. Specificly the TR22-2
    http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...m?categoryID=5

I have a Burris Signature Select 3-12x on my Bushmaster Special Varminter and absolutely love it. I use it specifically for coyotes and foxes.

Their Ballistic Plex retical almost exactly matches the drop charts for the Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr Sierra Match King factory load. The 55gr.'s shoot nice and flat, but the edge in wind drift and energy at long ranges definitely go the heavier bullets. At 3x you can see in the dark and you can crank it up to 12x for long distance shooting. With a 27" bipod (almost all of my shooting is done sitting), it's pretty heavy for the carry in, but I can almost always see bullet impact and follow-up shots are quick.

Definitely get some good glass. You're better off with good glass and a fair gun, than the other way around.

Default AR optics

Hi there I was planning to purchase an AR soon and I was wondering if there was a way to use optics and iron sights without having to use flip ups. By the way this will be my first AR and I will be using it for a home/CQB gun. Anything you offer will be appreciated.

Dude check out the Burris 4.5-14/42. I have it on my Armalite. I won't be able to comment on it at the range until this weekend coming up.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Hunt_AK, that's a nice rifle you have there, take a look at this set up: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...ail.bok?no=262
    Nice scope, but I really dont want to spend that much dough.....I guess I'll keep lookin...

WG, I ordered a sun devil billet upper and lower with a RRA LPK and the winter trigger guard also!! Let me know what you end up going with...

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    tyrex13 is there any particular reason you don't care for the RRA high rise mount? I've read a few rave reviews on PM's and figured I'd give it a shot. I also ordered a winter trigger gaurd and an ambi safety.

This is a dedicated predator hunting rifle and I typically expect shots between 50-200 yards. I also call long before the sun breaks the horizon which means calling in the dead of night is quite common. Almost every trip actually. I want a scope to gather light very well and have the ability to reach out and touch a critter beyond 200 yards if need be (during the day). I've found lights at night to be a serious PITA and would rather have a good scope and use the light from the moon and stars.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Burris Signature Select 4-14x44. That's pushing my price limit too.
    It's no big deal, but I can stand the thought of using a riser. It's like mounting something (rings) that's mounted to something else (riser) that's mounted to the receiver doesn't seem right to me when you could buy a one piece ring and mount system that would be rock solid. Anything that mounts with thumbscrews will eventually work loose on any semi rifle. 200 yards is not very far at all, something in the 1-4 power range would be fine for me at that distance. I have shot less than 2 inch 5 shot groups with a 2.5x scope at 100 yds with a mini! With practice, 8" groups from the prone position at 200m is not very hard with the great irons that an AR has. I know it's nice to zoom way in there, but I think you should consider something at the 9-10 power as the absolute most scope that you would need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan2000ak View Post
    Hi there I was planning to purchase an AR soon and I was wondering if there was a way to use optics and iron sights without having to use flip ups. By the way this will be my first AR and I will be using it for a home/CQB gun. Anything you offer will be appreciated.
    Optics as in red dot optics or optics as in scope optics?

+

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=19

+

Standard A2 Front Sight

=

WIN

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Nice scope, but I really dont want to spend that much dough.....I guess I'll keep lookin...

WG, I ordered a sun devil billet upper and lower with a RRA LPK and the winter trigger guard also!! Let me know what you end up going with...
    If you don't get that particular scope at least you can use the info on eye relief and objective diameters to find something similar in size and spec for less dough.

Default AR optics

More along the lines of a low powered scope optic if that helps.