Thread: individual or party tags

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Question individual or party tags

this is not a question on how it works i am fully versed in the draw system..

but rather i keep being told that you stand a better chance of drawing on a party hunt, rather then putting in for individual tags for each person....

it does not make sense to me as you still have the same number of names in the hat..

does any one have any input as far as success rate on party or individual drawings?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Actually, you have less odds of winning on a party tag, as the two (or whatever # apply together) names go into the pot as a single entry. That's why my wife and I apply seperately. It basically doubles our chances of winning at least one tag, though our chances of both getting a tag for the same hunt are far lower.

From my perspective, applying for party hunts makes sense for expensive or hard to plan/access hunts, as then you're able to share the flight or other expenses with another person. Hunts such as Tok sheep or Koyukuk moose seem to make sense to hunt with another permitted hunter. Walk-in hunts like Delta sheep or 14A cow moose hunts seem to be more suited to individual apps. At least...that's how I play the game.

Been 50/50 for me, done well both ways, this winter draw I did party for sheep and goat, see what happens......

If there are 3 tags available and 2 are drawn by individuals. What happens if you and your partner draw the 3rd tag? I don't think that they just add one to the limit, I think you lose the opportunity and they draw another name until they get a single for that tag. If this is the case then it is another reason the party hunt would lower your odds.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lujon on that you are right if there are not enough tags left for the party it goes on to the next individual.

Brian? two names equal ONE? chance? i thought both names went in....and if either name was pulled two tags were issued if the tags were available..

like said i keep being told that you have a better chance on a party tag but i don't see how..in my house i have 5 hunters now but would like to better the kids chances at pulling the tags....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Party draws work for me!

I have put in for tags since 1988 and only drew a goat tag the first year. The last two years I have put in with my step-brother on party tags and we drew the TOK tags and the new 13D tags.

I am not going to screw with the tag gods so I again put in for the party draw this year.

Troy

the way it was explained to by ADFG was that they get put in as individual permit applications. if one person draws, the other person gets selected as well. unless... you are on the last permit for that species/area and one person of the party gets selected. in that case, neither get it. So if there are 3 permits for sheep in one area, and they have already selected two, there is no way that party will get that hunt if selected for the third spot. if one of them gets selected after only one permit has been drawn, then they will fill #2 and 3 for that permit quota.

overall it increases your chances of being selected, unless you are in that last permit spot as explained above. doesn't double your chances of course, but increases them.

I can tell you how it works. You get a nice message on-line with your drawing permit results stating you were selected. The next page tells you you were disqualified because enough permits were not available.

This incident happened this spring. I drew kodiak with my Dad. We were the 5th non-resident guided by next of kin to draw. I mean the first ones to not draw, but wait they said we were drawn. This was an emotional roller coaster in a short period of time. I already had my Dad on the phone telling him we had drawn when I seen the disqualification statement.

This is clearly cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

To top it all off, the nice folks of the native corps kept sending me info and land status maps. They called the house as well. Thanks for rubbing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Brian? two names equal ONE? chance? i thought both names went in....and if either name was pulled two tags were issued if the tags were available..
    That has always been my impression, Vince. There is a benefit that you'll both get tags, but the drawback is that you only have one chance. I'll have to look into this...maybe I'm wrong.

Vince - This is directly from the ADF&G site explaining how the draw process works:

"The computer then randomly assigns a number to each hunt on each valid application. The random number is referred to as your “draw number.” Party hunt applications receive one draw number for each hunt. That is, both applicants on the party hunt application receive the same draw number per hunt, so if that number is drawn, both party members receive a permit.

Permits are awarded to applicants wtih the lowest randomly assigned draw numbers up to the number of permits allocated for that particular hunt. "

Yep. One application, and therefore one chance, for the two people applying together. Thus, less of a chance that one of you will win.

thanks brain that makes it easy... as i only put in for my area there in 20 A... i need as many chances as i can. not that we don't do well with out the bull tags it would simplify things once in awhile..

meet on face book here

sorry for the misinformation. brian's post was correct. i looked it up and read it all. glad the information i got by calling ADFG was correct!
    lesson: always read it with your own eyes

To me the individual permit makes the most sense when there are very few permits to draw and many people applying for them. The party hunt draw odds are much better when there are many permits.

The reasoning is if there are 100 permits to draw, the only draw that will not help you is number 100. Any of the other 99 and you both get it. If there are only 3 permits available, there are only 2 chances to draw out of 3. Put another way, 33% of the permits won't help you.

What had me scratching my head this year was looking at the list of people that won bison permits. It looked to me like quite a few people with the same last name and same address had won bison permits. Of course, I could be wrong, but it sure looked like a lot of people did party hunts for bison. I guess you would have to REALLY like bison meat to need two of them in your freezer in the same winter. To each their own I guess.

I've drawn 8 tags; 4 on party applications and 4 on individual applications. Honesty, I don't care how I win!

Taylor