Thread: Zdiac pin hole repair?

Default Zdiac pin hole repair?

Hi, I recently bought a Zodiac serie 1 10 foot raft that has about 7 very,very small pinholes in it at numerous spots. I am pretty sure it is made with Hypalon. What is the best way to repair all the small holes? Will the TearAid patch work of is there just a adhesive that will work? Also is it ok to deflate it and fold it up for the winter?Thanks for the info.

Default Repair

For a pin hole it may only require light sanding for a Hypalon raft and a Dab of aqua seal. For a larger repair see tracey harmons raft repair artcicle on www.alaskaraftandkayak.com The tape is really only for quick field repairs.
    Hope this helps
    Jeff Varvil

Default Varv's repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Varvs49 View Post
    For a pin hole it may only require light sanding for a Hypalon raft and a Dab of aqua seal. For a larger repair see tracey harmons raft repair artcicle on www.alaskaraftandkayak.com The tape is really only for quick field repairs.
    Hope this helps
    Jeff Varvil
    Jeff, how do you repair a "pin head"?

hehe

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

For old rafts that start to develop pin holes due to a general failure of the fabric, another option is to re-coat it. They do make some paint on stuff for the outside, but perhaps better is an internal solution. You poor it in, inflate the boat and turn the boat every which way until it the stuff coats the entire inside surface.

Mike, I have discovered that you can also use this stuff for reattaching errant pin heads to their shafts as well. It's not quite as stiff as the dedicated three part adhesives they use at the better pin factories, but it's a great all around pin head product with a faster cure time. All Alaskan boaters should lay in a good supply before the hoarders get to it.

Default Thanks, Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    For old rafts that start to develop pin holes due to a general failure of the fabric, another option is to re-coat it. They do make some paint on stuff for the outside, but perhaps better is an internal solution. You poor it in, inflate the boat and turn the boat every which way until it the stuff coats the entire inside surface.

Mike, I have discovered that you can also use this stuff for reattaching errant pin heads to their shafts as well. It's not quite as stiff as the dedicated three part adhesives they use at the better pin factories, but it's a great all around pin head product with a faster cure time. All Alaskan boaters should lay in a good supply before the hoarders get to it.
    That's a helpful tip; I know Jeff has dealt with "pinhead" issues before and I'm sure he will find it helpful. Those around him will be especially grateful. Most appreciated!

:-0

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Yeah, I'd like to apply it to a few pinheads around here too.

Default Jeff Varvil-

Well, Jim... Jeff called tonight in reference to this thread, and I apparently owe him an apology. He's not a "pinhead" as I said... he's a dweeb.

My mistake; sorry Jeff! It won't happen again. This week.

-Mike