Thread: Lynx tips?

Default Lynx tips?

I have never trapped lynx, since there have only been 5 cought in the last 20yrs in the unit I trap in. When I was out getting my wolverine sets ready last weekend I saw some lynx tracks (possitive). Do cubbys work with 330s or are leg holds more effective or are snares the way to go. Lynx season don't open till Dec 1st and wolverine on nov10th, I don't want to catch him in a wolverine set before the season opens. On the other hand I can't wait till dec 1 to start trapping, Thats like waiting till Jan 25 for x-mass

Not that I'm a pro at this, but I set out cubbies with a #3 foothold. I used a grouse wing hanging about head high out in front of the cubbie and a grouse head as bait. I also used alaska lynx cat lure. They hit every cubbie before I got one and stole my bait. So make sure your cubbie is deep and they cant just reach in to the bait. I just learned that part LOL. Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    Not that I'm a pro at this, but I set out cubbies with a #3 foothold. I used a grouse wing hanging about head high out in front of the cubbie and a grouse head as bait. I also used alaska lynx cat lure. They hit every cubbie before I got one and stole my bait. So make sure your cubbie is deep and they cant just reach in to the bait. I just learned that part LOL. Good luck!
    how do you keep martin or other samller critters from robbing you? i have a lynx tagging my trail now and would like to nail him..

at least i think its him.. i have several piles of scat under one tree on a regularly used SG trail... to small for wolf to big for fox... fulla bunny hair
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    how do you keep martin or other samller critters from robbing you? i have a lynx tagging my trail now and would like to nail him..

at least i think its him.. i have several piles of scat under one tree on a regularly used SG trail... to small for wolf to big for fox... fulla bunny hair

If it were me I would use a big bait.. Maybe a whole beaver. Then make a cubby and set it with #3's put some moss under pan to firm it up alittle. You get him 2 traps are better than one. You wont have to cover them either.

Default lynx

I use a cubby with a #4 offset which makes for a nice big space for them to put their big foot and I use guide sticks to make sure their foot goes their. I'll also use my snowshoes to put a trail circling the cubby and put a snare there just in case there's two or a cautious one. I also hang my bait in the cubby with wire so it can't be stolen, I prefer salmon carcasses but a beaver carcass works too and even better if you cut open the caster glands.

Default Cover the entrances

Cover the entrances to your wolverine cubbies with a thick spruce bow , it helps keep your trap working, and eagles out wolverine will go right on in. Lynx will probably not push through alot to get in. Then when lynx is open set a far more open cubby with a big offset trap that should catch either target. Cats love castor and beaver meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

I build it under a tree, so I open up and area under a spruce and build it. This way it has a sort of roof on it. I also have cut a small tree at about 3 1/2 feet and then make a cubbie out of it. Now the bunnies I have been told you can but a tooth pick under the pan. I have only caught one so far and I used what was left for bait. Something came in and ate half of it. Pretty much the butt and legs were left. On my buddies line we do have an issue with some little critter eating the bait. We used wire and just bent it so it will sort of float in mid air. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the advice, sounds like a leg hold is the way to go. Do lynx hang out in the same area for a long time? I would asume if there is food he will hang around. I went out this last weekend and he had got into some of my duck carcases that I hung around where I plan on setting. It was exciting since it snowed and I now know that he is deffinetly around.