Thread: Planning a Trip to Tongass--Need Advice

Default Planning a Trip to Tongass--Need Advice

My brother and I, (both experienced salmon, steelheaders from the Northwest) are planning to take our teenage sons on a rustic fishing trip to the cabins of Tongass. We have heard mixed reveiws on the Naha River/Jordan lake area and I would like to draw upon the experience of this group for some advice. We are limited to July and would like to know if this is the best location for some solid fishing or would you recommend another area?

July should be a good month for dollies, rainbow, cutthroat. Not sure there would be many steelhead in at that time. Sockeye and coho run from July thru September, so you could find some early returners.

I've only fished Heckman Lake and the Naha, never tried Jordan but it shouldn't be any different.

I usually stay in the SE Heckman cabin which is nicer and larger.

We only flyfish, but spin casting should also be excellent.

If you come, have fun and be prepared for black bears.

i really appreciate the info---we are also fly guys amnd prefer river fishing. Which area of the river do you recommend closer to heckman or jordan?

We've fished the whole length and any given day all areas could be different. Because we stay in Heckman we generally fish Naha below Heckman.

Don't pass up the small inlet to the lake, have had excellent results there as well. A variety of dries and leeches have been my favorites.

OK,so if we moved the trip to early August could we get into some coho's? If so are they more aggressive in the river section or Heckman Lake. The cohos we get are typically aggressivse in the fast water of the river but very slow to bite in the lakes. As you can see I'm getting greedy now about species--who can blame a guy when it comes to a good coho bite? When you go to Heckman what time of year and what species are you hoping for?

The timing for coho return in SE has been sort of goofy the past few years, not sure if the cycle is off or what. Typically August would be good, it's sort of a crap shoot now.

We usually fish that area in July and we're targeting the trout. If they're coho in they're more fun IMHO in the river.

do you enjoy catching pinks and chums? If so late july is the time for you.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default getting ready for naha trip

heading to fish the naha--via Heckman lake cabin on Aug 8th---anyone have some last minute updates or advice

If you're flyfishing don't forget leach patterns, they're deadly this time of the year in the river.

what are your favorite colors?

Quote Originally Posted by b00mstk View Post
    what are your favorite colors?
    Dark--black, brown, green etc.

I forgot to add, you could also try some egg sucking leeches too.

JOrdan Lake .......Now that is a name that brings back great memories. Back in 1985 while I was in the Navy, our ship pulled into Ketchikan for a week in July and a couple friends and myself went out to Jordan Lake for 4 days .... to this day, the most awesome fishing experience of my life!! The fishing was incredible, the scenery fantastic, watching the bears feed in the creek when you are 50 yards away in a boat was awesome experience. Wonder what that lake is like 25 years later? Do any of the planes still land on the lake? When we went we landed on Jordan but had to hike up to Heckman when we left as the pilot said Jordan was too small to take off from with us in the plane.

Didn't mean to Hijack your thread, but seeing that name just brought back such great memories!! Hope your trip is as great as ours was some 25 years ago!!