Thread: Sheep proposal meeting

Default Sheep proposal meeting

I will host a meeting (at my home in Palmer) on 11/15 for those that would like to talk about and get a few Sheep proposals in before the deadline.

Please either reply to this post or PM me if you would like to attend. Please include your email address.

Troy
    746-5548

Default Date change!

DATE CHANGE:!!!

Moving this meeting to November 16th (Sunday). This date change was need to so the ADF&G Region II sheep biologist could attend.

troy

Default time info

Meeting is getting full, room for only a few more. Meeting start time is 1pm. If you don't go to church then you can show up after 10am.

So far, we have 1 maybe 2 sheep bio's, 2 board of game, several AC members, guides, taxidermist and several serious sheep hunters.

Plan is to have this meeting with a follow up on either the 29th or 30th.

If you want to attend, please forward me your email address.

Troy

Troy, is this meeting just a personal private thing you are doing, or is connected in any way with a particular organization or AC?

What 2 BOG members are coming?

No org, AC or any other side deals. I am just concerned about our sheep and want to talk with those that also have these feelings. If we can come up with 2 or 3 good proposals then I would be happy. I plan on putting something up on this forum after our meeting.

I will contact them and see if they care if their names are released.

troy

what kind of proposals are you talking about? sorry for my ignorance, trying to educate myself here.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    what kind of proposals are you talking about? sorry for my ignorance, trying to educate myself here.

thanks
    There are 5 that I am aware of that are being considered; not necessarily by this group troy is organizing though.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=41406

1) An annual State wide 5 day sheep opener before non-residents hunts kicked in.

2) Areas that are draw only for sheep including any area that goes to draw at anytime into the future would require the commercial hunting interest to stand down in those areas when residents are forced to draw for opportunity.

3) Implementing a non-resident draw for all sheep tags including raising the non-resident sheep tags to $3,000.00.

4) Repealing the non-resident must be guided regulation.

5) Banning the Departments practice of donating non-resident sheep tags to non-profit orgs.

Smile

Troy:
    Good luck guys. To have sheep hunters willing to weigh in on the proposals and organize all these respresentatives is cool. Considering the status of FNAWS which is hoping someone will take over that operation guys volunteering their time is our only hope. Increasing our sheep hunting opportunities while avoiding permanent restrictions on opportunity like once in a lifetime permit should be all or our goal. Good luck on these proposals and focus on increasing sheep hunting opportunity while considering fair chase!!!!!!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I am not a sheep hunter and not in the valley but if there is any thing i can help with let me know... my work with 20A and the DWI issues are putting me in touch with more people every day..though i am still green on many issues i am willing to assist...

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Sunday November 16th

If you plan on attending please PM me or call me and I will give you directions. Meeting will start at 1pm, but if you don't attend chruch and would like to come early you can show up after 10am. I will have football on! I will provide stew or chili and some other snacks. If you drink beer, bring your own.

Troy
    746-5548

Troy,
    Great meeting thanks for getting it together!

Default meeting results

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Troy,
    Great meeting thanks for getting it together!
    Thanks for making it! You got to meet some serious sheep hunters. We had 12 people attend this meeting from users like me, guides, Board of Game members, ADF&G, past guides. It was nice to see such passion about Alaskan sheep. We did a lot of talking about items we don't really have control over (out-of-state guides, cost of tags/licenses), but we did talk about a few we can make proposals on. We did talk about the coyote issue and it seems like you will see more than one proposal on reclassifying them.

We also talked about limiting the non-resident sheep hunter. The idea is to set limits on how many tags that a non-resident can have. This includes the draw and non draw areas. For the draw areas that have more than 10 tags to issue, no more than 10% will go to non-residents. Areas with 10 or less tags to be issues, only one tag may be issued. Last year in one of 14c unit all three tags went to non-residents. I was surprised that on of the local sheep guide is the one pushing this!

It was also mentioned by this same guide that the sheep #s in 14c are the lowest he has seen. For example he flew the Eagle River area over 12 times and never seen a legal sheep. I believe he told his hunter not to bother trying to hunt. This is one example of why a non-resident hunter should choose a local guide, not sure this would have happened if your guide was from Iowa. If I was non-res paying big $8000 to $15000 to hunt sheep to find out there was no legal animals to hunt I would be pissed to say the least.

We got to meet the new Area II sheep bio, nice guy and he is busy making plans to make a difference. Sounds like he has been promised some funds and he talked about using some of this money to do a study on the survival of kids and maybe collar some of them.

Again it was nice to see this amount of experience in my living room and the passion everyone has to make sheep a priority.

troy

PS
    Not sure of the exact details, so do not hold me accountable for this info, but it looks like in the near future they will be making guides bid for hunting areas. Something like 240 to 260 smaller units will be made and each guide then would have to make a bid package as to why they should be the one to have the sheep tags for this unit.

Default Who were the two BOG members attending?

Well, now that the meeting is over, can you please tell me which two BOG members were there?

Also, never heard back from Lujon inre his coyote proposal. What was the take among any ADFG staff and BOG members about likelihood of reclassifying coyotes as deleterious or invasive species?
    Thanks,

Thumbs up

Good to hear what you guys are doing down there. I am looking forward to the proposals you are working on. It sounds like I'll agree with them and will be submitting my comments to the BOG.