Thread: Pulk Reviews

Default Pulk Reviews

Hi !

I'm currently shopping for pulks/sleds for climbing expeditions to use with skis, snowshoes or crampons. I do not have the money to get the usual Acapulkas or even Fjellpulken. That lead me to cheaper options like :
    Granite Gear
    Wilderness Engineering
    Skipulk.com
    and more importantly (since it is my first choice...)
    Northern Sled Works

Anybody used one of those, can they comment on their experience with them, etc. ?

My only concern with Northern Sled Works is their pulk shape which would seem to plow instead of floating in deep fresh snow like the other designs.

Also, anybody here pulled a Northern Sled Works pulk on bare ground/rocks for a long distance (just like their website pictures) ? Is it worth the effort compared to put all the load on my shoulders (backpack) ? I'm planning a 3 weeks summer tundra expedition and was wondering if it would be easier to pull a sled on bare ground !

Thanks all

mriguy

Default Yes,Yes,and Yes

Go with the Northern Sled Works. It is better than you have heard, pulls better than it looks, and performs better than described. Get the 'arms' and ditch the ropes. Go get a stiff frame fannypack with the shoulder straps (I think mine is a 'badlands?' from sportsmans) and attach the arms to this. It is super light, lets you keep h20 handy and doesn't make you sweat like a pack. It pulls like a dream! 2 moose quarters at a time over the tussocks was not a problem. As far as in the snow, I ski with mine set up as described and have never had a problem with diving. Keep your sleeping bag in the front and heaver stuff in the back and go wherever you wish. A bonus is the owner/builder is a really great guy. I would buy from him again in a heartbeat.

jt

I have a northern sled works, in fact that's my picture with dog on his web page. I'd add a skeg underneath it if you felt like you were going to side hill on crust or ice. Other than that the unit has performed well on expeditions in the Brooks, Alaska, Talkeetna and Chugach mountains.

I coupled mine with a skijor belt. works great. I can then carry my day pack with me.

I made my own with some fiberglass fence poles and hardware store parts.
    I have so far been very happy.

I can add pics later if someone wants to see.

Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    I made my own with some fiberglass fence poles and hardware store parts.
    I have so far been very happy.

I can add pics later if someone wants to see.
    Where did you get the fence poles? I can't find any in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Where did you get the fence poles? I can't find any in Anchorage.
    http://www.fenceemporium.com/ They are in Palmer.
    I am thinking about getting some ends made from swaged tubing. Those would be much better than my current aluminum round stock bored out.

Have you read Ed Boffards pulk book? He has a jig for threading the poles so you can use a steel connector. http://www.skipulk.com/images/pulkbook.pdf

That is where I got my idea from.
    He uses a threaded reducing coupler, then cuts off the shank of teh rod end and welds on another.

I am going to call Greer tomorrow. If they can swage tubing, I will have them make me some ends. Then it is only a matter of tapping the treads and then epoxying onto the poles.

Does any one here ever use a work dog to pull their pulk? I'm looking for ideas for using poles to hook one or two dogs. Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated.
    Chuck

I have my dogs pull a sled on ski trips, though I don't use poles - basically I use a sigland style sled w/ skijoring bungee connected to a short length of chain attached to the front of the sled. When the sled starts overtaking the dogs (while going downhill for example), the sled overruns the chain and slows down. It works pretty well - I have done lots of trips with this setup and have never had any sled-hit-dogs accidents. On very steep hills I have to rough lock the sled - I run a short bit of rope under the sled near the back.

Some pictures:

Stopped on a hil - the sled has run over the chain and stopped:

Older setup using rope rather than chain as a break:

Fullsize images can be seen Here.

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Does any one here ever use a work dog to pull their pulk? I'm looking for ideas for using poles to hook one or two dogs. Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by jec; 12-22-2008 at 12:39. Reason: Arg, spelling.

Kifaru sells them too: http://www.kifaru.net/sleds.htm