Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rabbit snares

Unhappy rabbit snares

I'm trying to learn to snare so I figured I'd start with something easy like rabbit. I set out a couple this week and actually had some luck...sorta. I check the snares everyday at about noon and I got a total of 4 this week.But 3 outa the 4 rabbits were all or partially eaten when i found them. its obvious foxes got em...but Is this common??? or am I doing something wrong.

I'd say the only thing you are doing wrong is not setting some snares for foxes. If you know they are there, go get em!!!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Supporting Member

Have to agree with danjordan78, except I would add, "Wait for the season to open (Nov. 10th)". Would be happy to share some snaring tips with you if you want to make a trip out to Wasilla after the season opens next Monday.
    Last edited by spike9542003@yahoo.com; 11-06-2008 at 23:43. Reason: typo correction

Default timing

in the past we would get about a 50% return on rabbit snares. we would set them out just before sunset, then comeback in the morning around the time ya have enough light to see. only had a few chewed on. mainly had to get there to collect before the eagles woke up.
    i would caution you as for setting snares for fox in the same area/time as for rabbits. it could be viewed as baiting???? thats what i have been told in the past. one at a time. just my 2cents

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Fox and hares run the same trail. there is no baiting in a snare.. and if you have a trapping license.. you use bait any way ....

as for checking them. I get the kids up and out by 8 am. and use a flashlight when necessary. i found the OWLS are the number one snare cleaner. i have never caught a fox on the hare trail. though i have tried.. during the coldest part... i will have the kids do an afternoon check as well. as they tend to be up and about for the few hours of daylight late DEC/ JAN...this has reduced a considerable amount of loss. we are fortunate that we can run them around the house and yard with no worry of neighbors dogs cats etc....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

well you can bait your traps for trapping, so it's perfectly legal. Depending on where you are setting the snares I wouldn't jump straight to thinking it's foxes or other furry criiters. Ravens and magpies will do the same thing. If there is a lot of them in one area they'll take out a couple real quick. I looks like something really got to 'em, fur everywhere, ground all packed down, look at the ground and you'll more than likely you'll see the big piles of raven splat.

Vince was ahead of me on that one. Covered it as I was typing.

Default baiting

Thankyou for replies. one more question, i realize it isn't legal to bait snares. but can somebody clarify about "baiting" for predators/furbearers while hunting. I beleive the regs say any part a small game animal not required to be salvage may be used as bait is this correct???????? I called down to fish and game to check and the guy didn't really sound to sure so i'd like to hear your guys opinion.

i'm pretty sure it was foxes. there were trails goin to and from the kill sight and they had dragged the entire snare about 50 yards away before they chewed on it.

bait your snares all you want, not quite sure how that would work if you are talking about putting bait right in the snare loop. I personnally use a bait setup in a thicket and snare the openings around the thicket.

Ok it seems like there is some confusion here snaring is trapping snaring falls under the rules for trapping so baiting is allowed here are the rules on baiting note small game may be used for bait except for the breast meat of game birds so you can use the whole darn rabbit if you want
    Under methods and means
    >Bait for trapping

You may use the following as bait for trapping furbearers:

any part of nongame animals(i.e., agricultural or domestic animals)

the hide, viscera head or bones of game legally taken or killed by vehicles after salvage of edible meat

game that died of natural causes so long as the game is not moved from the location where it was found. " Natural causes" does not include death caused by human;

game furnished by the department provided you have a permit

the skinned carcass of a bear (except for the edible meat of a black bear taken from jan 1-may 31 or brown bear meat taken under a subsistence brown bear management permit) , furbearer, or fur animal

parts of legally taken big game animals that are not required to be slavaged as edible meat , if the parts are moved from the kill sight

small game ( except the breast meat of game birds)

leagally taken unclassified game

the head tails fins and viscera of fish taken with a sport fishing licenses

any fish that does not have a bag limit season or other regulatory methods and means provided for it

any commercially caught fish that has been previously sold

any fish taken with a subsitance permit

You may not use protected species (e.g. gray jays0 for bait even if you caught them by accident in a trap set for marten or other furbeares

I hope this clears it up for those who are wondering like I said snaring is considered a form of trapping so the rules apply you can bait a snare same as you can a trap no difference
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    bait your snares all you want, not quite sure how that would work if you are talking about putting bait right in the snare loop. I personnally use a bait setup in a thicket and snare the openings around the thicket.
    What I meant with "not quite sure how that would work" was that hanging bait in the middle of a snare loop would seem quite a bit less effective. They would pull the bait out of the catch loop and the snare would miss. But as I said before bait 'em up. As for the other question I would think that if you have a bait pile set up and you are using your trapping license, then you could shoot away.

To clarify I set my snares similar to arrowslinger when setting a bait pile snares are the way to to keep unwanted catches such as fox in wolf snares from happening.
    I belive he is right that as long as it is legal to shoot something under a trapping license if it happens at a bait pile and you have a trapping license it would be legal

Can someone go out and shoot a bunch of rabbits and use them for bait? From how I'm reading it, it appears so.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Can someone go out and shoot a bunch of rabbits and use them for bait? From how I'm reading it, it appears so.
    you may use the non edible portions.. small game has salvage requirements as does big game. you must salvage meat and or hide... even squirrels technically can not be shot and waisted...it is in the regs, and the trapping regs has more info as well.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

page 16 of the hunting regs under using meat of game for bait and food for livestock and pets

"However you may use the following as bait or food for pets or livestock...."

"the skinned carcasses of furbearers and fur animals, and the meat from small game (other than birds) and unclassified game, and...."

Birds have to be breasted

Otterman covered the trapping regulations portion above. It is on page 12 of the trapping regulations.

Now I am not saying go out and make a pile full of rabbits to sit around and watch hoping a plethora of fox, lynx coyotes and wolves are just gonna come in and bum rush you, but we shoot the ones we eat and snare a few for bait on our line.

Default You can use rabbits as bait

Ok not trying to start an argument just get the facts so people know what they can and can't do. After some investigating on my part including both a trip to the ADF&G and Wildlife troopers office it was pointed out that page 16 of the 08-09 hunting regulations is very clear on the top of the page second column
    here is what it says

However, you MAY use the following as bait or food for pets or livestock

skip down to the 4th bullet and it says

the skinned carcass of furbearers and fur animals and the meat from small game ( other than birds) and unclassified game.

So in essecne yes you can go shoot a rabbit or squirrel and use the entire thing for bait for trapping or snaring. I personally prefer to eat the rabbits and use the hide for bait but I know some who use whole rabbits. As far as squirrels they are not good bait as far as I am concerned but the hides are worth 50 cents or so if you have the time and desire to mess with them.

Crud you all beat me to it
    Last edited by otterman; 11-07-2008 at 14:49. Reason: further comment

Default I beat you to it

I beat you to it this time Otterman, I sure wish they'd make it possible to copy and paste from the regs. I guess if they did that someone would figure out how to change the words and say "well I read....." and try using that as an excuse and then they would try holding the forums liable.

I also agree that squirrels are not worth the time and aren't any good for bait.

That's what I figured, which is good to know since I like hunting and killing rabbits but not eating them. I might consider this approach next year. I already got enough scrap and bait for my trapping line this winter.

About 1/2 my rabbits that get eaten are eaten by owls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast