Thread: Long Range Tactical

Default Long Range Tactical

I am having trouble deciding between the Springfield M1A Chambered in .308 or an Alexander Arms AR-15 chambered in 6.5 grendel. The purpose of this gun is a long range tactical gun. With the results of Tuesdays election I have a feeling it wont be too long until we start seeing gun legislation ban guns like this.
    I like the fact that .308 ammo is cheaper and there is still a lot of steel core ammo for it on the market. Its also a pretty good big game hunting rifle.
    I like the 6.5 Grendel because it out performs the 308. I dont know of any steel core ammo available for it so it would be a little less usefull against body armor and vehicles.

Either way I want my rifle to be semi auto.

Im sure I'll be called crazy by some for my reasons for it but as the saying goes, its better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thanks for any advice.

I was considering a 6.5 Grendel but decided to pass at this time due to the lack of ammo / brass readily available here in Alaska. An AR-10 (SR-25) size platform in 260 Remington (basically a 6.5mm in a 308 case) would be even better than the Grendel since it is the ballistic twin to the wonderful 6.5x55mm Mauser.

On the other hand, the 7.62mm NATO (308 win) has 55 years of delevopment, testing and marketing to support its use in numerous roles. Plus the capibility of firing heavier projectiles would come in handy for the more probable use of taking game animals.

As for vehicles:

A regular plain jane 7.62mm or 6.5mm jacketed bullet will go through boths sides of a car at a considerable distance, as will most hunting type bullets when fired from just about any rifle developed since 1892. Most of those rounds will crack an engine block, bust a water pump and certainly blow through a radiator. I can tell you from personal experience that a vehicle moving towards you will not stop immediately even if you give the engine compartment half a belt of full auto fire from a 7.62 or 5.56mm Green Tip ball ammo.

Or Armor covered Ninjas:

Most kevlar body armor is meant to stop pistol bullets. Almost any hunting rifle from a 22 Hornet on up will penetrate soft body armor. Armor with ballistic plates is another matter. Those will stop most rifle rounds IF the bullet impacts in the area containing the plate.

A properly employed long range rifle negates the concern fueled by body armor.

If they are Govt trained armored Ninjas, their long range marksman will put a nice 7.62mm boat-tail through your eye socket long before you even see the other guys in body armor.

An old man who shoots a 30-30 enough to hit a running coyote is much more dangerous than a twice a year shooter with a $2,500 sniper rifle in his closet.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default m1a

I have an M1A nothing fancy, 22 inch barrel wood stock. But there is a ton of companies out there who make after market parts for it. Not as many as the AR series rifles but good amount. One thing to look at is the cost and availability of the 6.5 vs .308. The M1A is stamped 7.62 so you can shoot either round in it. If you have any questions on the M1A feel free to pm.

Default M1A

I went with the M1A. Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to also get an AR-15, at least a stripped lower. With a fast twist barrel and vld 70-75 gr bullets the .223 is a suprising performer at long range. Ammo is also less expensive than .308.

Default float pilot

I like your closing statement, and how true it is. Speaking of the sr25, that is one of the weapons that we use over here. Ranges from 1 to 6 hundred yds, its a pretty dependable plateform. Is a bit squirely at the 200yd line for some odd ball reason but other than that it works out real well for us in the heat desert. Regards t

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default sr25

good luck on finding a genuine SR25 for civy purchase, the last one i seen for the full package cost like 10 grand!

Which M1A did you go with?

I would strongly consider the 6.5. You can't go wrong with either. But looking around, the 6.5 parts, ammo and brass appear to be more available than the .223. Granted not locally but all the big mail order folks have a lot whereas they are sold out of the other stuff. Save your brass. I think throwing good brass away now would be really short sighted. Alexander and Sabre defense have fantastic 6.5 products. Nothing against the .308, I love the round but I like the AR platform with 6.5 as well.

I got the standard with Mossy oak stock. I wasn't crazy about the stock color but I saw how fast guns like this are being sold and bought it anyways. I am glad I did, the next day that website was sold out of all Springfield rifles. I plan on upgrading the stock to a JAE 100-g2 eventually.

What are you gonna do for a scope mount? I can't get any better than 3 MOA out of my Springfield scout.

I was planning on making my own once the gun arrives. Im a machinist so hopefully I'll be able to make something that will fit over and clear the action. I have not looked to see what is on the market yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    I was planning on making my own once the gun arrives. Im a machinist so hopefully I'll be able to make something that will fit over and clear the action. I have not looked to see what is on the market yet.
    Check out the ARMS # 18. Best scope mount I have tried for the M1A. It mounts quite low as well.

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.ph...n=110&cat_id=1

Default 6.5 grendel

Against the 308 with 150 grain bullets, the Grendel can hold its own. Getting into the heavier 308 bullets such as the 175 grain Sierra and then the equation is a little different.

The 6.5 Grendel makes a better main battle rifle than the M16... good at close quarter and very good out to 1200 yards since it can stay supersonic. It could be a good SAW. I can imagine a few people wondering why the offspring of the AK's 7.62x39 is becoming the darling of the AR set, but they should remember that the 6mm PPC is its sibling and that is a very very accurate round.

It is still a niche cartridge with Lapua brass at 90 cents a piece. But making an upper in it and still have the 223 upper makes for a versatile combo. Plenty of video out there on how accurate a thumper the Grendel can be in an AR chassis.

If you reload, the Grendel really makes sense.