Thread: What do you use - Dinghy

Default What do you use - Dinghy

Posted this in the Canoe forum also but thought I might get some experienced answers here.

Looking for a light weight canoe or boat with a reasonable hauling capacity. My intention is to carry it on top of a river boat and use it in sloughs, ponds, and bays for hunting and bird chasing.

I need to carry 2 people
    Be able to pack out a moose - (Not all at once)
    Tough enough to portage (drag through the woods)
    Light enough to throw on top of my boat
    Stable enough for a crazed lab duck hunting

I have seen several online that look good but shipping to Alaska is not reasonable. Any ideas on where to start looking? Brands, dealers etc?

Geez,
    I have been planning the same thing, Freds has a 16 foot Sq. stern Pelican on sale for 450 bucks, They are rated for 950 pounds w/ motor

http://www.pelicansport.com/index.ph...lboat=bayou160

Old Towns 15' sq. stern is rated for 1700 Pounds w/o motor, 850 w/motor, anyway the ol town looks very similar to the coleman scanoe w/ the pipe frame work. Sportsmans has them at considerably more $$

Then I was looking a 9 hp honda w/ a long shaft by Scavenger
    http://www.scavengerbackwater.com/index2.html

Weighs about 90 pounds, Ideally I was hoping to be able to use the Scavenger set up as my kicker on the river boat.....
    Has anybody done that?

Anyone tried this type of setup on a canoe??

I have a 19ft Pelican(Coleman) scanoe. It works great. I have gone on a Tanana with it with a weeks worth of food and gear for two guys. Didn't put a moose in it (we got zip), but it preformed great. My brother has one that he trails behind his 16ft lund for beach landings along the Washington and Canadian rocky coast. I bought mine (used) for $200 dollars in Fairbanks.

Why not use a Porta-Bote? They're fold up boats and only weigh about 100lbs.

I have a 12ft with a tohatsu 6 HP motor on it and it scoots around just fine in 4 inches of water, I use it for small lakes and rivers. It'll carry an unbelievable amount of weight and is stable as a rock on the water.

They're also just about indestructable, I've whacked into rocks at speed and all it did was jolt us around pretty good and put a scratch in the plastic.

You might have seen me in it around the Mat-Su area, its set up on a small boat trailer.

I originally bought it as a dingy for my 28 foot Carver (which hasnt been in the water in 4 years) but it worked so well I started using it as a primary boat.

http://www.porta-bote.com/
    Last edited by Maast; 02-26-2010 at 09:03.

Thanks for the replies and links.

I had looked at the porta-bote idea but 100 pounds is too heavy for what I need. Trying to stay under 50 pounds to make it easier to get on and off the boat.