Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Propositions

Default Sheep Propositions

Anybody writing a prop. for the BOG,that have to do with the Non Resident sheep hunters?If so could you PM me ?Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Anybody writing a prop. for the BOG,that have to do with the Non Resident sheep hunters?If so could you PM me ?Thanks
    There are 5 that I am aware of that are being written.

1) An annual State wide 5 day sheep opener before non-residents hunts kicked in.

2) Areas that are draw only for sheep including any area that goes to draw at anytime into the future would require the commercial hunting interest to stand down in those areas when residents are forced to draw for opportunity.

3) Implementing a non-resident draw for all sheep tags including raising the non-resident sheep tags to $3,000.00.

4) Repealing the non-resident must be guided regulation.

5) Banning the Departments practice of donating non-resident sheep tags to non-profit orgs.

Where is that info at?Do you know of any for opening all predators up by August 10?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    Do you know of any for opening all predators up by August 10?
    Don't know of any but that seems like a good one to propose.

Default Prop's

I think I like the first four prop's, where as I think the donating of tag's to nonprofits is a worthwhile cause, as long as they are kept in check.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think I like the first four prop's, where as I think the donating of tag's to nonprofits is a worthwhile cause, as long as they are kept in check.

Terry
    It is proposed that there will be 3 'classes' of tags.

1) Over the counter resident sheep tags or ORST's

2) Resident Draw sheep tags or RDST's

3) Non-resident draw sheep tags: NRDST's

The bulk of the NRDST's would be for general season hunts.

• Each of the NRDST's contribute 3k to the State wildlife management fund and there is more demand than there are NRDST's available.

Donating Tags to non-profit orgs for fund raising:

• If residents are drawing for opportunity then donating RDST's changes the odds for residents.
    • It does not appear it would be fair or reasonable to consider donateing any RDST's.

So, the only tags that would be considered; would be the NRDST's.....if you want to go down that road.

• What would the benefit be of donating 3k$ tags NRDST's to non profit orgs particularly when those orgs that are expecting the hand-outs are the ones who will likely be opposing proposals 1-4?

I am also interested in the management of sheep or lack of. I am an avid sheep hunter and have many concerns about the future of sheep hunting. Sheep hunting and making changes to protect this resource is one of the main reasons I wanted to be part of the advisory committee. I would like to invite everyone to attend one of our meetings and bring up your proposals or I can bring them up for you.

I also would be willing to host (at my house in Palmer) a meeting for all of us to work on these proposals. If you would like to attend such a meeting let me know. Dates that would work for me are Nov 15th/16th, Nov 29th/30th, or Dec 13th/14th.

I have been told they proposals either submitted or backed by an AC carries more weight with the BOG.

AVALANCHE thanks for bring this up again and letís all work together and make things happen.

Troy

Default We need to meet!

If I am not mistaken, these proposals need to be in by 12/05/08. If this is the case then we had better get to work.

I will host a meeting (at my home in Palmer) on 11/15. Please either reply to this post or PM me if you would like to attend. Please include your email address.

Troy
    tlcevincent@yahoo.com

Meeting will be held on Sunday the 16th at 1pm.

Troy

Default A note on what the BOG can legally consider and act on

Just wanted to give a heads up to ya'll that some of the proposal ideas Avalanche listed are not under the purview of the BOG to act on; rather they are only able to be changed via the legislature.

One of the greatest mistakes made with some proposals is that they are written with the misunderstanding of what actions the BOG can legally take, making them effectively dead on arrival, and also wasting much time/paper with the entire process.

Any increase in any license/tag fees, whether for res or non-res, is a legislative matter, and the BOG cannot act on that. They can certainly weigh in with support or opposition to a bill in the legislature seeking such a fee change, but they cannot change the fee structure themselves. Neither can they (I believe) change the regs on non-res must be guided for sheep. (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one.)

So I just wanted to point out that before you guys start considering BOG proposals...first ensure that you are proposing something the BOG can actually act on.

Another thought: While proposals coming from ACs tend to carry more weight with the BOG, what I have seen carries the most weight is support from area biologists who are the ones that review that proposal. Believe it or not, F&G (wildlife conservation side) must go through every single proposal (no matter how ridiculous or how pertinent) and comment on it with a presentation at the meeting. This takes a lot of their time. If a proposal does not have ADFG support, for the most part it isn't likely to pass. Controversial allocative proposals, or proposals like #1 mentioned here to open sheep season earlier for res hunters normally get a "no comment" from ADFG. That #1 proposal came up at last spring's Region III BOG meeting to open up sheep season 2 days earlier in certain areas of the Brooks. I was at the meeting and there was much debate on this, both publicly and privately. In the end it didn't end up passing. Why?

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE GUIDE LOBBY AND THE ORGS THAT ARE TIED TO THEM! <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE GUIDE LOBBY AND THE ORGS THAT ARE TIED TO THEM! <grin>
    IF I WERE A MEMBER OF ANY ORG. THAT WOULD BE OPPOSED TO THESE PROPOSALS I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR A NEW ORG.

If I were a board member of any of these orgs I would not sacrifice the membership I represent in favor of the special interest of the commercial hunting industry.

If I were a legislator I would not underestimate the power of my constituency and publicly stand against these proposals.

The guide lobby is impotent compared to the power of the people.

There aren't but a few hundred guides, many of them are non-residents and can not vote..........guide lobbies don't scare me.

ANY orgs. that support the guide lobby will be neutered by their own membership in the next 6 months.

The AVALANCHE season is coming up and peaks about March.

Good work you are doing there Avalanche, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods so I could be a part of it. It is about time some of this stuff is brought up. Good luck fighting the fight!

Default Org

Avalanche, you know of something we don't like a new Org that actually looks out for the average Joes, as Sarah would say. Bushrat is right, the guides seem to have a lock on everything that goes on with the Board of Game. It is crazy so few guides have so much power over the masses. It shows what a little unity can do, I know I would donate a couple hundred dollars if I though a Org could protect hunting in the great state for my kids. The guides are making a killing slaughtering our sheep and returning what to the state, $450 licensing fee and half don't even live in the state.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Good work you are doing there Avalanche, I wish I lived in your neck of the woods so I could be a part of it. It is about time some of this stuff is brought up. Good luck fighting the fight!
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but....

Once the BOG gets the proposals and makes them public we can comment on them. I know I did last year. I could not be present at the meeting but written comments (emailed or faxed) HAVE to be considered/read and become part of the record. The deadline this year will be Feb 13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BOG Meeting Southcentral / Southwest Region: February 27 Ė March 9, 2009
    Proposal Deadline: December 5, 2008

Written Comments: February 13, 2009
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is the link.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...fo/gfutsch.php

Default More info

Tips for Submitting Written Comments to Board of Game

The Board of Game accepts written comments on proposals. The following tips are provided to help board members and the public more fully understand the recommendations in your written comments. Public comments, in combination with Advisory Committee comments and ADF&G staff presentations, provide the board with useful information to form decisions. Written comments become public documents.

TIMELY SUBMISSION: Submit written comments by fax or mail at least two weeks prior to the meeting. Written comments received at least two weeks prior to the meeting are printed and cross referenced in the board members’ workbooks. Written comments received after the two-week period will be included in the workbooks as “late comments” and are not cross referenced. Materials received during the meeting also are not cross referenced. If you provide written comments during a board meeting, submit 20 copies to Board Support Section staff, who will distribute your written comments to board members. If including graphs or charts, please indicate the source.

LIST THE PROPOSAL NUMBER: Written comments should indicate the proposal number(s) to which the comments apply. Written comments should specifically state “support” or “opposition” to the proposal(s). This will help ensure written comments are correctly noted for the board members. If the comments support a modification in the proposal, please indicate “support as amended” and provide a preferred amendment in writing.

Do not Use Separate Pages When Commenting on Separate Proposals: If making comments on more than one proposal, please do not use separate pieces of paper. Simply begin the next set of written comments by listing the next proposal number.

PROVIDE AN EXPLANATION: Please briefly explain why you are in support or opposition of the proposal. Board actions are based on a complete review of the facts involved in each proposal, not a mere calculation of comments for or against a proposal. Advisory committees and other groups also need to explain the rationale behind recommendations. Minority viewpoints from an advisory committee should be noted in advisory committee minutes along with the majority recommendation. The board benefits greatly from understanding the pro and cons of each issue. A brief description consisting of a couple of sentences is sufficient.

WRITE CLEARLY: Comments will be photocopied so please use 8 1/2" x 11" paper and leave reasonable margins on all sides, allowing for hole punches. Whether typed or handwritten, use dark ink and write legibly.

USE THE CORRECT ADDRESS OR FAX NUMBER: Mail written comments to Board of Game Comments, ADF&G, P.O. Box 115526, Juneau, AK 99811; fax them to 907-465-6094; or fax/mail/deliver them to a Regional Boards Support Office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here is the link:

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b.../gcommtips.php
    Last edited by Snyd; 11-09-2008 at 22:12.

Default Form letter for comments

I posted this form letter last year that I used to make comments on Proposals. I know it's early but this may make it easier on those who want to comment. Just modify it as needed. The current dates for the BOG meeting are tentative so we may have to change that.

Perry
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have put a lot of thought into this proposal but this is the first time I have put anything on paper and it may be a bit rough still. Please feel free to review it and make comments. If there are reps of any orgs that would like to endorse it please let me know I will be glad to work with you to have the additional support. I am planning on mailing this in 1 week.
    Thanks,
    Jon

I am also working on writing another proposal to eliminate the artificial light restriction for harvesting deleterious exotic or feral wildlife. Kind of an end game runaround I know

I put this here because it effects all sheep hunters and didn't wan't to open an additional thread sorry if it is a bit off topic...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-09-2008 at 23:14. Reason: additional info

Default Question for ya Jon

Jon, I'm pretty sure I told ya this back when you were considering this proposal...did you get with any biologists and ask for their input? If you did, what did they think about re-listing Coyotes as you propose?

In essence, does this proposal idea have the support of the Dept? Also, have you contacted the Alaska Trapper's Assn., and if so, what did they think about this? Have you contacted any of the ACs in southcentral, and if so, what was their take?

Terry what guides are making a KILLING SLAUGHTERING "OUR" sheep? Cause i must be doing something wrong with my guide business....oh and with that 425, don't forget the 85 for the hunting license!!
    Try to post with thought rather than emotion and more will get done that way. You get into a proposal all fired up emotionally and you'll loose credability, get some facts, keep your head on straight and people will listen. just some friendly advice from a guide who'd like some advice on how to make a killing slaughtering!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default comparison

The Army moved us to El Paso this summer. For a comparsion, here are the prices in New Mexico. Non resident tags are as follows:

Mule Deer standard-$270- quality -$355
    Elk standard-$543 quality -$786
    Bighorn $3,160

$425 for a sheep tag seems like a steal.

Also tags are limited to 12% for those nonresidents submitting thru an outfitter and 10% for other nonresidents. Obviously residents recieve 78% of the tags.

Casey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast