Thread: Flinters in Alaska?

Default Flinters in Alaska?

Anyone up here using flinters? You need real black powder, either 3F or 4F for priming, but shipping the stuff is difficult. It's hazmat while alternatives like Pyrodex and Triple Seven aren't.

I managed some BP from an estate, but my only experience with flinters is in dry country.

Just contemplating the hassles of using a flinter here in the wet. For once I'm trying to think things through BEFORE buying a new toy!

The guy that got me into muzzle loading in the 70s hunted with a Ted Fellow's flinter all the time. He hunted Kodiak Island with it too, even went after brown bear with it. To get black powder shipped to Alaska you need to have it stamped "for small arms" and then AML will ship it the same way they ship regular powder. Jim

Good to know Jim, and thanks for the feedback. I've got a friend who uses a 69 cal smoothie flinter, but he's kinda vague about how he gets his powder.

I've got five pounds now, but didn't want to get too deep into the habit if I couldn't replenish it now and then. It's technically feasible to prime with the good stuff while using main charges of Pyro, so I could stretch five pounds of black for many years, provided the combo worked..

Default damp weather

I've hunted many a time in damp weather, even rainy drizzly weather and have never had a problem with the ol' sparktosser. Here's a few tips on what I do, Keep the action tucked in your armpit until you need to fire your rifle your coat will wrap around the action and keep the moisture out also I change my priming powder every hour if it's raining or drizzling just to be on the safe side...........sometimes if I'm hiking a ways in to an area I'll stick a toothpick into the touchhole until I'm in the area to be hunted and then remove toothpick and prime the pan, of course then I tuck the action in my armpit and I'm ready to go...............good luck

Sounds great. Hadn't heard of the toothpick trick, but it makes perfect sense. The friend with the 69 made what he calls an "ox knee" for rain protection. It's the tanned hide from the "elbow" of a steer, which keeps it's natural shape and makes a perfect little tent for covering the action. I guess it's authentic from the era of flinters. Whatever, it works well and frees his arms up a bit for movement in rough terrain.

Thanks for the feedback! Now which pocket did I put my toothpick in....

Default Black powder sales

I seem to be joining this forum at a late date. I thought I knew of most of the BP shooters in the state. As to a supplier of BP Try the following. Keith Bayha, nohorn@gci.net if that doesn't work for you contact me direct at Lightfoot1830@yahoo.com
    I also shoot a .58 flint rifle and pistol and my mentor and next door neighbor has been shooting Flint for over 50 years.
    YHS Lightfoot

Default Flinters..

I am new to this side but have read with interest this BP info page.

I haven't burned any black in a long while but went through this stage some years ago. I do still have a fine hand made rifle and a couple of pistols from a while back.

The rifle is a Hawken style made by a good friend of mine (he's still in the biz,today). It is a fifty flint with a Siler lock and 34" Green River barrel, 1& 1/8" across the flats, 1 in 66" twist. I watched the maker put three round balls into two inches at 100 yards. (Yes that's right) Then he handed it to me expecting me to do that. This was when I was shooting hi-power rifle and was a strong standing shooter, but it didn't happen for a while, geez, the lock time is a little slower than the M1A.

Anyway it is still a great shooting rifle and of course has only burned black powder and shot round balls. I would like to re stoke the old flinter. I need a new rock and I'm good to go.

Today commercial makers brag about their sobot throwing, pyrodex burning, 209 primed inlines with a scope shooting two inch groups. My flint rifle will do that, on a dry day, with round balls and black powder, all it takes is a good shot. (My friend was the off hand NMLRA champion several times and only shoots flint.) Oh, I can shoot it well enough to take deer and other small critters, got a 'yote at about 150 yds. It is more fun than to hunt with than modern rifles, and much more challenging.

I'm also becoming interested in BP cartridge guns, have a Shiloh on order, and am looking for just the right lever gun of the 19th century.

Thanks for the nice forum, guys.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking Instead of toothpicks,try

a small birdfeather,they will bend instead of break when brush slaps against it,and not break off inside the touchole.A feather will also swell slightly I would think and seal moisture out better.
    I hope you guys of the great white North do not mind a fella down in ole Virginny trying to be helpful!
    Jeff.