Thread: Opinions wanted on Scope for .223

Default Opinions wanted on Scope for .223

I bought myself a Remington SPS tactical in .223, I am kind of undecided on what scope to mount. I think at best it is a 300 yard varmit rig. Just don't want to go over kill on the Magnification. Anyhow; any first hand opinions out there. Looking around 500 dollars to spend.

I like Leupold and would probably go with a variable of about 6X18 for a dedicated varminter. My favorite .223 bolt action set-up was a Ruger M77 sporter with a Leupold fixed six. Not exactly a MOA varminter, but plenty accurate enough to pick off small critters at reasonable distances.

My vote goes for the Leupolds. There may be better glass (I haven't seen it) but with their customer service it makes it the best choice. As far as scopes I would look at the VX3 or the Mark 4s. The Mark 4s are spendy but are so sweet. If you go with the 30 mm tubes they might be a little big for what you want so get one in the 1 in tubes with a 40mm objective. Keep an eye out at Midwayusa. They always have good sales going on the 4s.
    Henry Bowman for President

I have a leupold VX-III 3.5-10 with target turrets and mil dot reticle on my 223. If you keep your eyes pealed on flea bay and other auction sights you can get that scope thusly configured for under $500, I just picked one up w/o turrets for $300.

Another scope I'd consider is SWFA's sniper scope in 10x, they can be had for right around $300.

I am on my second Burris and I love it. I have been using a 3-9x40 on my ruger .338 for a while and have found the ballistic reticle pretty dam accurate. I just bought a 4.5-14x42 for my 223, i havent had it on the range but I am impressed with its clarity and adjustable objective
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Nikon Buckmaster

I put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X on my .223. I figure that way, it's good for longer shots on smaller rodents, but also good in tight if i'm predator hunting in the brush. It was well within your price range. It's probably not the quality of the Leupolds, but a bit less money for the same features. It seems like a pretty nice scope so far.

I dig the 3.5-10x Leupolds. I have four of them and think they're just about perfect. They're not overly large or heavy, and they offer plenty of magnification for the 300-yard work you refer to. Used one can usually be had for $300-400.

Smile

Hey thank you for the input. I loved that SWFA rifle scope sight. Thanks for turning me on to it. I went with the Leupold 4-12x VXI. Figure that was a safe choice.