Thread: Insulated picture windows

Default Insulated picture windows

For now I'm living in Texas, but hope to move to Alaska some day. In my day dreams I picture a small cabin with a panel of large glass picture windows. I've been thinking of those double pane (thermo-pane?) windows. Do they have enough insulation value for the Alaskan interior, or would I be better off forgetting about the view. In the past I've lived in northern Illinois for many years and remember numerous -20 days and one -26 day but that's as close as I've been to the temps common in the Alaskan interior.
    Steve

Default Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdoc View Post
    For now I'm living in Texas, but hope to move to Alaska some day. In my day dreams I picture a small cabin with a panel of large glass picture windows. I've been thinking of those double pane (thermo-pane?) windows. Do they have enough insulation value for the Alaskan interior, or would I be better off forgetting about the view. In the past I've lived in northern Illinois for many years and remember numerous -20 days and one -26 day but that's as close as I've been to the temps common in the Alaskan interior.
    Steve
    The views in Alaska can be breath-taking. The windows designed for AK. are MUCH more energy effeceint than the ones of which you speak. So no don't give up on the view just GET READY to buy windows. These types of windows are 4-5 times as much as double paned windows used in Texas.
    BUT, you get the view !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Even a triple pane with high tech coatings and gas filled is going to top out at R5. That's significantly lower than a standard R21 wall in Alaska.

These are some of the best I have dealt with. I'm sure there may be better out there, but you are going to pay. http://www.cgnw.com/cms/content/view/1/2/#features

Default That bad

I didn't realize that they were that bad. Looks like their best is 5.88. Does anyone know of anything better out there and the cost related?

If you want something better than that, hang an actual picture on your well-insulated wall and forget the picture windows. Sorry to say it, but even the best windows are major heat losers compared to a wall. You don't see a lot of houses up here with big windows practically covering one side or the other of the house like you do down in the Lower 48. There just isn't a way to make them efficient enough. If you heat with wood, you might decide its not such a big deal. If you heat with oil, forget the big windows.

Default Windows

If you want to spend the $$$$ you could go with the superglass quad http://www.southwall.com/southwall/H...tingGlass.html

Default Go for it!

I wouldnt have a cabin without the views! I know they are not as efficient but well worth the trade off for being able see whats going on outside! I heat with wood in a blaze king princess and have a propane furnace set at 45 at night to keep the chill off when the wood stove cools down and it doesnt really seam that bad to me. All the windows in my place are low e windows. Mine is not in the extreme interior, but its up in AKDoug's neck of the woods and gets plenty cold.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page