Thread: Kodiak for goats

Default Kodiak for goats

Hello everyone,
    I am doing some research before I apply for my goat permits and was thinking about Kodiak. I've never hunted there before, but it seems like there is a higher chance of being drawn for a permit so I thought I'd look into it. A couple of questions:

How good is the goat hunting down there?

What is the best way to access the hunting areas, by plane or boat. Recommend any charters? What are the better areas (don't need any secrets, just which areas to avoid).

Obviously goats live in different terrain than ducks or deer, but what is the possibility of being able to hunt both deer and goats in the same general area, or being able to spend a few days shooting ducks after then goat hunting is over?

How complicated is the logistics piece coming from Anchorage? Is it any more difficult than flying to Kotz or the north slope for Caribou?

Thanks for your help, any other info would be greatly appreciated.
    -bobble

Default Dg477

I've hunted DG477 two times both with a partner. The 1st time was on the opener (Aug 20). My buddy shot a 9 1/2" nanny the first day, and I shot a 8 1/2" billy the 2nd day. We hunted deer for a couple days and then called our pilot and got out. We saw lots of deer but only 1 inaccessible buck. His nanny was a little thin haired, and my billy had pretty good hair. The next time. We went to the same spot but in Oct. We had to hunt a little harder and the weather sucked. We got stuck for 6 days waiting for weather,(9 days total) the wind ripped and broke our tents, we almost died and it sucked. (dramatization) My Bro in law got a nice nanny and I could have shot one at the same time, but since his goat jumped to the other side of the mt. and fell off, I knew we were screwed and passed on my shot. My Bro in law was in awe that I didn't shoot, but hours later, after we drug ourselves into camp after dark with about 100 lb packs each, I think he understood. It's a pretty easy draw, but I'd access it by plane to get your altitude. I think we flew into lake #1651 with Roland Rouss (sp?) with Seahawk air. I'd suggest going in mid Sept. A little nicer weather and nicer hair. I shot the only deer we saw on our 2nd hunt. Logistics from Anc are pretty easy. I've gone from Dillingham once and Fairbanks once. If you have more ?'s feel free to PM me. I'm no expert, but I have done it.
    I tried to attach some pix, but I'm not quite sure how.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pic

Wow, I did post a pic. I amaze myself sometimes. Here's another.

Default dg477

i also hunted dg477 acouple years ago and flew in with cub air who is now retired.my 8 day hunt turned into a 21 day ordeal i finally had to wade out to a long liner and then got shanghaied for 3 days while they caught their quota. oh and when my buddy told me to tie my tent to rocks or brambles he meant it very dishearting to watch your tent from 2000ft and 2 miles away blowing towards the ocean. want to start o fire? forget it the place is a sponge. that being said the one decent day i had i counted 40 goats and shot this 10 inch nanny. good luck

Default Envious

What a beautiful bunch of animals. This is my #1 want to do hunt. I will get in better shape and get it done one of these years. Congrats.

I hunted 477 this year and saw goats and deer, so it is very possible to hunt both. The main thing with 477 is the cost from kodiak by plane can be expensive. If you hunt from boat you have about 1000 foot climb through the alders and brush, and then another 1000 foot or more climb to the goats. I was glad I landed up on a lake. I heard that several lakes in some of the units stayed frozen and people couldn't get into them this year. I would put in for 477 again, but I can't until next year.

I drew DG479 this year and it is a great hunt. I had some things going against me though with hunting partner and then weather. I was told that I had to wait a year to put back in for the same hunt but I couln't see any thing on fish and game website that backs that up. Anyone know if you can put in the next year?

It's in the supplement that you have to wait a year to draw the same hunt again.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Areas

We hunted DG477 this year and landed on one of the lakes. I shop my goat and it rolled down the mountain. When we were about 100 yards from the goat a large sow with 3 large cubs got to the goat and proceeded to devour it while we watched. It cost us $2100 to fly with Seahawk air and they did a great job. You can't depend on landing on one of the lakes. The wind and other conditions have to be just right for Roland to get you in and out of these lakes.

Three years ago we drew DG471 and we hiked up from the salt water. It was a difficult slog around the bay and then the climb through the alders was as fun as alder olympics can be with full packs. Once we got out of the brush and on top it was easy walking. We killed one goat and decided that was all we wanted to carry out.

Yeah after seeing the pic thats been floating around of the brownies on the whale carcass, and all of the incidents I have heard of and or experienced in the last few years on Kodiak, me thinks they need to reevaluate the bear quota for their draw tags, cuz there isn't a shortage of bears on that island!

The best advice I can give you on wanting to hunt goats on Kodiak's south end is to scrap the idea of going later in hopes of thicker coats, and plan on going earlier. The high lakes on the south end get quite dicey (getting in and out of them) as you approach the end of Sep. We sat on Kodiak for 3 days waiting to get flown out and our plans pretty much got squashed when we went to plan B and Roland landed us on a low elevation lake in DG477 we were supposed to be able to hike to goats from, and there were a couple dozen brownies fishing in and around the lake we landed on. We scrapped that idea with the quickness!

Smile Dg 475

Bobblehead- There are plenty of good billy's, and nannie's as far as that goes, in the Zachar river unit. The logistics are easy. Fly from Anchorage via Alaska Airlines, have the air service that you pick (recommend Seahawk Air) come get you at the airport with their shuttle van. They will run you around town if you need to. Then they will take you to where they are going to take off (sometimes by their office, sometimes elsewhere, depending on weather). Same thing when you come back in. If you have to stay a night or two at a motel after you come back in, Andrews Air has a cold locker and a freezer at the airport to keep your meat and cape.

Like AlaskaCub said, go early September for weather reasons. October hair is nicer but more than likely you won't get into the higher lakes. I believe some or all of the major air services out there won't fly you in to the high lakes that late. If you go from saltwater you will be climbing through alders for awhile to get to goats. The best advice you can get is to bring a GOOD tent. One that will withstand some unbelieveable wind. I recommend a high end four season mountaineering tent. It is very wet out there so you will get more condensation with a four season BUT AT LEAST YOU WILL STILL HAVE ONE!!! That comes from a little experience that I won't get into here. Take a SAT phone and count on a few (or many) weather days on both ends of your trip. As far a deer go, you can usually go and chase some deer around in the same unit as your goat as long as the weather and time is on your side. With all that said, I think Kodiak is well worth putting in for. Plenty of goats, beautiful country, and very reasonable on the ol' pocketbook.

Smile Windy Lake

A couple of pics of Windy Lake.
    Last edited by 454casull; 11-08-2008 at 10:15. Reason: Add picture

Thumbs up

DG478 South Road System is a real kick in the pants if you can get lucky on the draw? As i finally did last fall 2007 third year try! Woo! Whooo!

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default Ketchikan goat hunt

I recently hunted goat with Ed Toribio out of Ketchikan. It was a great hunt and here is a copy of the journal I kept.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Great Goat story

Really enjoyed the hunt through your words. Now for some pictures?

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Kodiak Combo

kiluda and southwest goat hunts out of Old Harbor (registration) allow hunters to fly in on the mail plane $90 and not only take goats, but sitka blacktails, king salmon and halibut! This crew has been coming to Old Harbor for several years now and the fact that they keep coming back for goats, deer, kings, geese, and halibut should tell you that this is an awesome place.