Thread: Base/Fort Lakes Open???

Default Base/Fort Lakes Open???

Anyone know if Ft. Rich/Elmo Lakes are open to ice fishing yet? Usually you have to wait until outdoor rec declares the ice safe, I beleive? Any word? Thanks.

Base Fish & Wildlife is in charge of that. Call base info @ 552-1110 and ask for Fish & Wildlife.

Folks at Ft. Rich MWR said nope. There gonna drill a few holes and check again this weekend.

Default Clunie on Ft Rich

Clunie lake was frozen last weekend. I didn't drill any holes and strayed only about 10' from shore. I think it should be gtg since mirror is frozen.
    I've heard there are some big trout, about 8lbs in there. This true?

Default Elmendorf Lakes are Open

Called 552-2282
    recorded message said lakes are open at your risk.
    Also said upper and lower six mile lakes are now catch & release only for rainbows.................bummer............ there are some big fish in those lakes.

Cluine Lake is a good one to ice fish as it is deep enough that the fish stocked from seasons past survive when some of the ohter lakes suffer from winterkill. I have caught some real nice bows here but nothing close to 8 pounds. Upper teens to low 20 inch range is a nice Clunie rainbow and there are some char which are even bigger on the average than the bows. Used to be some land locked salmon as well but not sure if they still get planted or not.