Thread: A little help: ATV title & registration???

Default A little help: ATV title & registration???

Do I need a title or current registration to sell a 4wheeler?

My brother died this summer and I offered to sell his 4wheeler for his wife so she doesn't have to worry about it and so she can have some extra money.

She said she can't find the title, and I was assuming that you need one to sell the quad, but the DMV website says that AK doesn't issue titles for ATVs? Is that right?

It also said registrations are only REQUIRED on snowmachines... Seriously? Is that right, or did I miss something?

If ATVs aren't titled, or registered up here (I'm fairly new to AK), then what do I need to do to sell this quad? Will just a simple bill of sale suffice?

Thanks all.

BTW: Quad is a Suzuki King Quad (96 or 97) only 5xx miles, great condition, runs like new, asking $3500, all reasonable offers considered.

You have it right, ATVs are not require to have registration. It is only required for "snow vehicles" and then it is only required if you are riding on public property.

A bill of sale is all the paperwork you need (even that isn't required, but it makes sense).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default sweet, thanks...

That's awesome. I love Alaska.

Thanks...

Although we don't have ATV titles in AK, you can get something called a "Manufacturers Statement of Origin" (or it might be called a Mfrs Certificate of Origin) from the dealer (or probably even the manufacturer if you don't know who the original dealer was). It's a document that looks kind of like a title, and is useful when 1) registering it as a snowmachine, so that you can use the public groomed trails in the winter, or 2) selling it to someone who may eventually need to title it someplace else.

I have a title for my polaris ranger and was required to register it at the dealer
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default title

I just bought four wheelors and I had to register them in alaska. The registration stickers are for snow machines. Now they do not title them which can cause problems if you have an out of state bank. The selling without a MSO or title i have no idea. Different answers from different people that i have asked.

It is common for the dealers to have you register them, but it is NOT required for an ATV and they can't make you do it. Registration is ONLY required for SNOW vehicles on other than private land. ATV's don't fall under the SNOW vehicle classification.

It's not a bad thing to have, but it isn't required.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Here si the link to Alaska DMV ATV page

I woudl certainly give the buyer a Bill of Sale with the proper identificaton numbers and keep a copy as well, signed by both of you/.

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/snow.htm
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default title

Its a good thing i didn't put those big ugly stickers on my pretty new quad. The dealership is now saying they did a better safe than sorry approach, thats why they did the registration paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Its a good thing i didn't put those big ugly stickers on my pretty new quad. The dealership is now saying they did a better safe than sorry approach, thats why they did the registration paperwork.
    In other words, they wanted to get a little more of your cash before you left with those wheelers. Typical of most dealerships.

I just bought four wheelors and I had to register them in alaska. .
    Who told you that ? I buy 10 -15 wheelers every spring been doing it for 5 years now and never had to register them. They just want you to do that in case it is stolen. And they get a little more $$$ they do come with a Manufacturers Statement of Origin and thats it.Like everybody said BILL OF SALE should be it
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Registration

, according to the dealer when I bought my last one was for the benefit of the bank doing the financing. Made sense to me as the closest thing to a title available and the wheeler was collateral. I didn't mind contributing the $15 cuz I'm working on getting some of that money back for ATV trails
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Register

Who told you that ?

Alaska Fun center in fairbanks is the culprit

Default Who told who what?

MikeL, who are you referring to?
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Who told you that ?

Alaska Fun center in fairbanks is the culprit
    When I sold 2 to a guy here in the area we went to the bank because he was getting a loan and the bank person told him yes they had to be registered ,So I ask her ,Who told you that and she said DMV.I know the person that runs DMV up here and she has told me over and over that they do not have to be registered only snowmachines. So somebody is getting the $15 or whatever it is. If it is going to a good cause then great if it's going into lying politicians pockets then forget it. I've heard so many things on what it is for who knows ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default registration

i was referring/responding to roger with the who told you that. I dont now how to do the quote in the gray square

Not certain on this but I was told that if you don't have the sticker on your ATV that the police won't really help you if it get stolen.

Police don't help much at all with anything stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never registered my 4 wheeler. Don't think it is required and definitely not required for sale up here. All you should need is a simple bill of sale. I agree with Queen of King that you should keep a copy for yourself just in case.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate