Thread: Cook Inlet bank fishing?

Default Cook Inlet bank fishing?

Never fished an ocean before, but the Cook Inlet looks pretty calm. Is there any decent shore fishing?

Default Anything is possible

Just look at the election!

I saw some guys fishing for halibut from the shore while I was dipnetting at the Kasilof River this summer. I talked to the guy a bit and he says he has decent luck with halibut, nothing huge. His logic was during dipnet season lots of folks clean their fish at the site and toss the carcasses into the water. So halibut come in at high tide to fed on the smorgasboard of salmon carcasses. He was using a surf rod with a pyramid sinker and salmon head for bait. Never did see him catch a fish while I was there, so it did pique my interest a bit.

you can catch lots of fish from the bank, but not much is consistent.
    fishing off the end of the homer spit with bait will nearly always get you sole, sculpin and pollack, with an occasional small halibut. using small spinners/spoons will get you dollies in the spring, as will a needlefish under a bobber. casting from the beaches across the bay is nearly always better for dollies, though.
    pixies and vibrax will work for salmon, and if you fish near the fishing hole you could do well. i have known the occasional feeder king taken from shore off lands end, but like muskies, they are the "fish of 10,000 casts".
    when i worked the beach at deep creek and whiskey gulch there were a few guys that would get kings surf casting at WG, and some halibut near the rocks that are south of the deep creek tractor launch about a mile. good luck
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Of course ther is always the fishing hole on the Homer spit. It can get pretty crowded, but there are fish there. It is a terminal run of salmon stocked by ADF&G to provide shore oppertunities. There is one in Seward as well.

Default Rockfish?

Thanks for the reply's everyone. It's good to hear some find it worthy of the effort. I've been searching for more info on rockfish, but most of what I find is halibut rigs catching the deep ones incidentaly. Do they come up in shallow enough water to get to from shore? The area I'm looking at is the northern inlet (Kenai area).

Default too bad...

nope, you won't find much off the shore in that area.
    the near-shore areas are quite shallow, and the currents make for pretty silty waters.
    you could get rockfish off the bank in a couple places i know across the bay, but you need a boat to get there so what's the point, eh?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Rock fish are doable off the shore on the south side of KBay and in PWS but you need rocks and not sand, which makes the road accessible parts of the inlet not so good for em.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.