Thread: what are the chances

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default what are the chances

that outdoor directory could throw an ice fishing derby this year?

Pretty good, assuming you want to organize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Pretty good, assuming you want to organize it.
    I know Chris Stout did the organizing for the kenai float this year and it was a blast. This could be fun but putting it together would take some time. Good luck and keep us posted
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default C&R?

I think a derby would be good, but I'd like the idea even better if it was a catch and release derby, verified by pictures of the fish with a yardstick or something. Some of the more heavily pressured fisheries with slow growing fish (lake trout, arctic char and burbot) could suffer if a crowd descends on them and kills every good fish they catch simply for the sake of entering a fish in the derby.

is the derby going to be at delong lake?
    Semper Fi!

yes greythorn, it is this weekend 9am sharp...see ya out there...If you don't see anyone at first, just hang out a bit, we'll be there...promise...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

One of the ice fishing forums holds one every year that consists of submitting photos, as the proof of catch, the rules for the photos are pretty specific and work really well. (pic of fish with yard stick, pic of fish with person that caught it and must be on the lake, pic with a card that changes every year as to not be forged.) Makes it easy to do for catch and release.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Stickle Back View Post
    One of the ice fishing forums holds one every year that consists of submitting photos, as the proof of catch, the rules for the photos are pretty specific and work really well. (pic of fish with yard stick, pic of fish with person that caught it and must be on the lake, pic with a card that changes every year as to not be forged.) Makes it easy to do for catch and release.

-Ben

Do you have a link to the Ice Fishing Forum?

I would be interested as well in a derby as long as it included the valley and maybe lake louise.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default catch and release

yes ice shanty does an online forum that is not specifically catch and release but fish are judged on length and appearance of girth i believe. only problem i see with even a catch and release derby is that by the time you get the measuring stick and camera ready and lay the fish on the frozen lake to get the shot there has to be some freezing damage done to the fish. pretty hard to get a pic of a fish lying still next to a yard stick without having it hurt itself. a shanty would be much easier to do this operation but not all of us have a shanty.