Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caulked (corked) Boots for Hunting in SE

Default Caulked (corked) Boots for Hunting in SE

I've searched through the archives a bit for info about corking boots and haven't found much. The internet in general is pretty skimpy as well. So what are you SE hunters doing to your boots? I'm new to POW and am convinced corked boots are a going to be a must for hunting/hiking/firewood gathering etc. here. I'd prefer a good leather boot over xtra-tuffs. I'm currently using Lowa Sheephunters coupled with gaiters and this combination is doing good for water-proofness and ankle suport, but short on traction. Are there professional cobblers in SE that will cork these boots? Any do-it yourself recipes out there? Should I spring for the $275 Danners here in Craig that seem to be the only stock corked semi-decent leather boot I can find? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Check out Hoffmans. Look under the "Logging boots" and I think you will find what you're looking for. They used to cork boots that people would send them too.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/

Around here I mostly prefer the all rubber versions just because it's so darn wet all the time. A good compromise are the rubber bottom pack style with a leather upper for better ankle support. I don't generally hunt deer or goats around here without corks.

I'd also recommend Hoffman's. I got a pair from them, plus I have my extra-tuff corks.

My son and I were on POW this past weekend and nothing beats corks when on wet logs in the clearcuts.

My son has the same outfit, but he bought his in Craig.

Default another plug for hoffmans

IF I'm not in hip boots, I'm in my hoffman corked pac boots. Their suitability for our low elevation rainforest is obvious, but what really suprised me was how much i like them for alpine goat hunts. They really shine in those wet & icey conditions.

Hoffman's will caulk boots you send to them.

I did up a pair of Meindl's and they rock. They aren't for all conditions and terrain, but if you are up on moderate to steep hillside they rock. Like having 4x4.

I've walked miles on the beach with bedrock too. They one's I have are carbide tipped. Nary a dent in them. They are noisy on rock.

Even more useful when coming down with a load. Also, if old Bruno ever jumps you and you are w/o gun for some reason, you can kick him in the face!!!

What about using the Kahtoola Traction System? They are compatible with any foot wear.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

here is baileys online... i get my logging supplies from them... they doo have boots and equipment..http://www.baileysonline.com/category.asp?CatID=48
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Boots for SE

I don't hunt POW, but spend a lot more time in Northern SE, hunting the steeps and the muskegs.

If I plan to hunt the hills, I use my leather boots (Cabela's Alaskan Meindls). If I'm in the low-lying areas, I go with insulated extratuffs. I don't use corks except maybe in the early season when they're up really high. I'd leave the cork boots at home unless you plan to hunt in mountain goat country.

Forget the gaiters, they will be loud and noisy. Quite frankly, you're going to get wet no matter what anyway, so they won't protect you much anyway. Wear wool or some kind of silent synthetic pants too.

Default Deer hunting

Gotta say......I often find my best deer in Mt. goat country.

I've never hunted SE Ak with spiked boots but I can see a place for them. I really like Danner boots so that pair at $275 sounds good to me. What model did they retro fit?

I hunt with Danner Trophy boots.

I have the Pronghorns.

Default Corks

Is that the corked Proghorns?

I know Hoffmans sell them .. I use em for summer hunting but not this time of year unless I wear Sealskin socks with them.

Hoffman will cork any boot you have that are in good enough shape. I have had several hunters that sent Hoffman their favorite boots in and had them corked.

But it hard to beat the Miendl .... Hoffman sells the German real deal product not the ones manufactured for Cabela's ....

Yes, they are the corked pronghorns from Hoffmans. I looked at the Miendls when I got them last year, but didn't want to spend the $ at that time. I'd probably upgrade when these wear out.

Did they keep your feet dry on you recent deer hunt?

Yes, but I didn't wade in any creeks either.

Default LL Bean Goretex bootie

I use Hoffman Pac boots with the PRedator extreme sole. It's an airbobbed sole with screw in corks. They come with a felt liner but I replace them with this Gore-tex bootie from LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Value_3=Brown/

This combination is the only thing other than Xtra-tuffs that keep my feet completely dry. For me, Xtra-tuffs don't offer enough ankle support and kill my legs if I do much hiking in them. The Hoffman pacs have been great on many deer and goat hunts. I've had this pair for 6 years and just ordered a new set the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickeen View Post
    I use Hoffman Pac boots with the PRedator extreme sole. It's an airbobbed sole with screw in corks. They come with a felt liner but I replace them with this Gore-tex bootie from LL Bean http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Value_3=Brown/

This combination is the only thing other than Xtra-tuffs that keep my feet completely dry. For me, Xtra-tuffs don't offer enough ankle support and kill my legs if I do much hiking in them. The Hoffman pacs have been great on many deer and goat hunts. I've had this pair for 6 years and just ordered a new set the other day.
    Stickeen, what model Pac are you using. I surfed the Hoffman site, but didn't see any models with airbobs with optional corks.

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    Stickeen, what model Pac are you using. I surfed the Hoffman site, but didn't see any models with airbobs with optional corks.
    http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...productid=13AB

Default Predator Sole

THey call it the Predator sole. It an air bob with a couple of nobs cut out removable corks put in their place.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductI...productid=13AB

When I lived in Haines most folks just wore Sorell packs or extratuffs. The spiked logger soles slipped everytime you stepped on a large rock which can be slick enough without help from spikes.

Default Studs

When I was younger I worked in a tire shop and had a guy bring in his hunting boots. I drilled them out and studded them just like you would a tire. He came back in a couple of weeks later and told me they worked great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast