Thread: The Ruger Model 77 in 375 Ruger-How good is it?

Default The Ruger Model 77 in 375 Ruger-How good is it?

The Ruger Model 77 in 375 Ruger has been out for a while now. What is everyone take on it for a rifle for Alaska? What rifle would you rather have if you didn't choose it. Do you prefer the Alaskan or the Safari model and how have they performed on large game including large bear?
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Default M77 Hawkeye Alaskan .375 Ruger

I had this model, handled and shot well, the little I used it. Never took it hunting and didn't bother to get setup to handload for this cartridge. I got it just to try. Factory ammo (if that is a consideration) is still rather limited for the 375 Ruger. Both 77 Ruger Hawkeyes are rugged and dependable hunting rifles. The Alaskan model vs. the African, IMO the Alaskan is the better choice for hunting in inclement weather, especially along the salt. The Alaskan model is short, stubby, and fairly well balanced, but a blocky feel. I prefer a 22" barrel. I actually like the African model for the barrel length and overall ergonomics. The 375 Ruger cartridge has a lot going for it. It is becoming more popular in Alaska. I know a couple of guides with these rifles and clients have taken moose and bear with rifles chambered in this cartridge. Can't comment on terminal performance of factory fodder as most game was killed with handloads. Have no doubt that factory ammo is more than adequate though. I personally prefer the nostalgia and the appearance of the H&H. Nothing feeds like the H&H in a well tuned action. Anyways, I decided to stick with a Win 70 in 375 H&H.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default the safari with an Alaskan stock

Personally I prefer the 3 extra inches of barrel on the safari model. I ordered the hogue Alaskan stock and replaced the pretty walnut stock on my safari with the synthetic for inclimate weather. Mine shoots well, under 1min of angle at 100yds, from a cold barrel, but after 4 or 5 shots it starts to open up. Its not a plinker any way and will only be used to hunt where shots will always be from a cold barrel, especially at $65 a box of bullets. The recoil is very managable, less than my 300 mag in my opinion, but from the shorter barrel that may not be the case. I shot a moose with mine this season and it droped in its tracks. Check out both models and pick the one that feels most comfortable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    The Ruger Model 77 in 375 Ruger has been out for a while now. What is everyone take on it for a rifle for Alaska? What rifle would you rather have if you didn't choose it. Do you prefer the Alaskan or the Safari model and how have they performed on large game including large bear?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default .375 Ruger

Its as good as the bullet your handloading . I'd rather have a .35 Whelen with a Nosler or Swift than a .375 with a soft Speer , just my opinion .