Thread: Rabbits in Juneau?

Default Rabbits in Juneau?

Are there rabbits in the Juneau area or are we too far South?

Yup, there's hare here.

I've yet to see one...don't know why. I've seen tracks all over the place on Douglas, Dredge Lakes, and even found parts of them under eagle nests, but have yet to actually see one.

There are coyotes here too....asked the Bio in Douglas to make sure b/c I didn't believe it at first.
    Nice Marmot.

Would the marsh areas on the way out to Cowee be a good place to try my luck?

seen a couple back in dredge lakes and seen lots of tracks out by the end of the road in north Douglas.

Carl

Thanks, I'll be out this weekend then.

The is a good population of them at the eaglecrest area, dredge lakes, and gravel beaches on the upper mendenhall. I have never actually seen any at dredge lakes ofr eaglecrest, but i know they are there because of tracks. Every winter i see some beside the mendenhall because the brotherhood bridge trail is right beside my house, and there are tracks everywhere beside the trail.

I've shot a few around town - Key is to be out right at dusk, and this time of year is perfect to look for them because they are pure white on brown ground right now...

Default Shooting laws

I would like to remind everyone that JUNEAU laws, not hunting laws, but JUNEAU laws state that you cannot discharge a firearm within 1/2 mile of any roadway or trail. The hunting regs say 1/4 mile of the major highways, but Juneau laws say 1/2 mile of ANY trail or road, public or private, exept the two shooting ranges and the mendenhall wetlands. The only place mentioned in this thread that it is legal to shoot hares is up the mountains on douglas and past the end of the road on douglas. The dredge lakes have all of those trails weaving through them, so it would be illegal.

Though, as i understand it, a bow, slingshot, or pellet gun is not considered a firearm, so i think those are legal, as long as you are the 1/4 mile off the road the hunting regs state.

Hey, Ak Char -
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but could you point me in the direction of where I can find the scoop on the 1/2 mile from any trail and road in Juneau law. I just read the ADFG hunting handbook and couldn't find that same distance and couldn't find anything on the CBJ website.

It sure would be helpful in the future to have my feet in the right spot before pulling the trigger though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    I would like to remind everyone that JUNEAU laws, not hunting laws, but JUNEAU laws state that you cannot discharge a firearm within 1/2 mile of any roadway or trail. The hunting regs say 1/4 mile of the major highways, but Juneau laws say 1/2 mile of ANY trail or road, public or private, exept the two shooting ranges and the mendenhall wetlands. The only place mentioned in this thread that it is legal to shoot hares is up the mountains on douglas and past the end of the road on douglas. The dredge lakes have all of those trails weaving through them, so it would be illegal.

Though, as i understand it, a bow, slingshot, or pellet gun is not considered a firearm, so i think those are legal, as long as you are the 1/4 mile off the road the hunting regs state.
    I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I got the trapping laws mixed up with the juneau laws. You can shoot a firearm within 1/2 mile, but not within 1/4 mile of a public street, road, or highway. So, you could shoot in the dredge lakes, at eaglecrest, and maybe even on the brotherhood bridge trail. I am very sorry for all of the confusion.

you can hunt small game with non firearms withing 1/4 miles of a road as well
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I saw one today while deer hunting on South Douglas...pure white. About the time I saw him, he was moving good...I didn't get another look at him, though I tried for a few seconds...

As far s the firearms go - You must be a 1/4 mile away from any roadway, you also cannot be within I believe it is a 1/4 mile of the Mt Roberts trail.

The brotherhood bridge trail area is closed, the whole area inside of the loop road, glacier hwy circle is closed.

Dredge lakes there is only a small triangular shaped area that is legal.

Talking

Actually, about the brotherhood trail, i am pretty sure the law only applies for big game. Please tell me if im wrong, because i was going to go hunting over there this weekend, but i have been known to misunderstand the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by ak char View Post
    Actually, about the brotherhood trail, i am pretty sure the law only applies for big game. Please tell me if im wrong, because i was going to go hunting over there this weekend, but i have been known to misunderstand the regs.
    My uderstanding is that it is closed to big game hunting and small game hunting with firearms
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.