Thread: What Change On The Forum Have You Noticed

Default What Change On The Forum Have You Noticed

Over the last 6 to 8 months I have noticed a change in the content and direction of this forum. I am not saying it is bad, indifferent or good.

All I am saying is that I perceive there has been a possible philosophical and practical change from the past motif and that there seems to be a paradigm shift (paradigm - a typical example of something, an example that serves as a pattern or model for something, especially one that forms the basis of a methodology or theory, a generally accepted model of how ideas relate to one another forming a conceptual framework within a specific field of thought or research) taking place on this forum.

Now at the moment I hope you allow me to be very existential (which for the most part I am not) by responding with, "I feel there has been a change but need help in defining specifically what has changed and how."

Now I could be all wet and if so the following questions if engaged will point that out and clear things up for me to some degree.

If you have detected a change on the direction an content of this forum, what do you think it is and what direction do you think it has taken this forum?

If you have not detected a change, comment on why it has not changed and is there any direction change at all if there has not been a paradigm shift?

Let's please keep this a healthy and respectful discussion giving it much thought and consideration while being kind and please do not make this personal or be rude with you comments.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

.....and please do not make this personal or be rude with you comments.

There's your change right there. Fewer personal attacks and rudeness. It was getting so bad that I was ready to pull the plug. The anonymity of the web encourages some folks to say things they'd never say face-to-face with another. I won't put up with it in person, and I don't see any reason to endure it on the web. I'll discuss and debate an issue all day long when it's polite and thoughtful. But when the names start flying it's time to quit.

Wink agree

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There's your change right there. Fewer personal attacks and rudeness. It was getting so bad that I was ready to pull the plug. The anonymity of the web encourages some folks to say things they'd never say face-to-face with another. I won't put up with it in person, and I don't see any reason to endure it on the web. I'll discuss and debate an issue all day long when it's polite and thoughtful. But when the names start flying it's time to quit.
    I agree. The rudeness and name calling has been obvious. I know it has kept me from commenting on certain subjects. I wanted to, but just told myself to butt out and keep my yap shut...it ain't worth it. It seems though on the "shooting" forum, it is pretty civil...I guess us shooters are a notch above the rest, right? I know with myself, before I submit a comment, I look at it carefully to see if it can be taken wrong or offend anyone. The last thing I want to do is start a rowel, doing something "enjoyable."
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Campfire talks...

are what the best forum discussions remind me of and agree with BrownBear, about anonymity and just turning to something else.

Default Shooting forum is conducive to civil discourse

The shooting forums present the most reasonable and well mannered discussions.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert A. Heinlein

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

I can't say anything about rudeness, I haven't been on this board in a few months and never really came across that kinda stuff the few times I popped in. I will say though, since showing back up, especially this week, there are a TON of AR/AK threads!

No doubt the Hussein victory has spurred many to kick it into overdrive on that front. Oops, did I say Hussein? I meant to say BO, sorry!

Question Maybe there's a difference...I'm not sure.

I don't know if I've noticed a difference. During the AK summer and our fall hunting season I try to be out doing the stuff that we talk about. It's not until the winter (like now) that I honker down more seriously with our forum. Therefore, I probably missed a few things in the past months. That said, I've always respected what Brownbear and Beartooth have to say (as well as most all of you), so if they think the forum was moving towards a bad direction I believe them.

I've been a member of the Shooting Forum for a long time. I like this forum and the people who drop by. Our forum is by far more respectable than other forums, and I don't want to see that change. A few years ago I quit a different forum because of the arrogance, rudeness and bull that quite a few people were pushing towards others...stuff they would never do face to face...certainly nothing I'd tolerate from someone without a serious in your face moment.

Anyway, if I've unknowingly been any part of the directional shift, please nudge me back on track guys. I've always liked the glow of this campfire.

I've been in this forum for about 8 months now, so I'm not sure I could really make an observation.

It doesn't seemed to have changed much to me. I think it's a great forum and just about everyone here is anywhere from respectful to friendly. There has been an occasional flare up now and then, but overall I'm impressed with how civil this forum is compared to some others I've read.

As for technical/info and interest content, it seems to also be basically the same and I have learned a great deal in these few months.

Not sure that helps, but that's my $.02

In the years that I have been visiting this forum I can only remember one time that I became aggitated at an individual on this forum.

Though I have never met any of you I can honestly say that I respect and trust all of you. The trust and respect that responsible gun owners have for each other probably can not be duplicated through any other common venue or interest. Serious gun ownership is to the bone. It is not a passing fad. It is a core ingredient that defines our whole line of thinking.

The one individual that stirred my coals didn't start out insulting me but much worse, he was making flaming comments to people on this board that share my defining passions. BrownBear hit the proverbial nail on the head in that some lesser men will say things in print that they wouldn't when looking you in the eye. This person was no doubt one of them. He singled himself out and is gone now and all is well.

When you live in a liberal off the wall town like I do then it is very refreshing to come on this forum and find out that I ain't the onliest one in the world that dry fires at the neighbors cat, has guns standing in all four corners of his den and thinks Hoppes#9 smells good.

I personally think that a first annual "Alaska Shooting Forum" reunion would be a hoot. We could all drive (in my case fly) to Fairbanks and have a weiner roast in Murphy's back yard. Who's for it?

Thumbs up

Good idea EKC! I for one would enjoy meeting a lot of you guys...and checking out Murphy's latest .411 projects. I think a range session would be in order too. Heck, the way things are going lately, perhaps I'd have to check out the job market there too!

Set a spell, you know?

EKC, I like that idea and I would like to meet you also AKW and just sit in Murphy's back yard shoot the breeze with you and guys like BrowBear, Nitroman, EKC, MontanaRifleman, Maydog, Paul H and many others on this forum.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    EKC, I like that idea and I would like to meet you also AKW and just sit in Murphy's back yard shoot the breeze with you and guys like BrowBear, Nitroman, EKC, MontanaRifleman, Maydog, Paul H and many others on this forum.
    That's a big ditto...