Thread: trap size.

Default trap size.

What size trap for martin and mink.

Default Depends on the set

You can use an 0 size for marten if you are in pretty much exclusive marten country and using almost exclusive pole sets. That's what most of the old timers used.

Or you can use a 1.

Mink are about the same size as marten so a size 1 will easily hold them but depending on the set some people use a 1 1/2 if there might be a chance of catching a larger animal. Fox and lynx are sometimes caught in mink and marten sets.

Conibears are used just as often thesedays for mink and marten. 110 and 120s will hold them fine.

I use #1 Victor jumps on a leaning pole.... Steve uses 110/120 conibears in paper box sets...

- Clint

Talking trapperman blocked

Clint it looks like since trapperman has been blocked you have managed to find other forums to read while at work

Talking yep

I don't have a whole lot of time to play on the puter at work, so usually I logged on to T-Man and that was it.... I have checked this site out on numerous occasions but never registered till now!

- Clint

Talking connibear

110 connibears in a box set up works very well for both martin and mink.
    LOVE MY LITTLE SKULL CLEANERS

Default Consider a 120 or magnum conibear

Consider using traps that have been tested as BMP's. If they are as effective why not use the more humane equipment. The extra cost is not all that substantial. Just a thought it helps in heading off the anti's when we make positive changes on our own.

Bob, I don't think any BMP's have been published for marten. If memory serves me correctly, the very short lived marten study died when the former furbearer bio here in Alaska, Steve Petersen, retired. Additionally, all the other BMP studies have taken place in the lower 48............far away from Alaskan trapping conditions.
    BMP studies are far from the final word on which traps are the most humane, or the best, or whatever. I hope that each trapper will asses his intended trapping conditions and choose the traps/snares that he feels will best suit his purpose..........within the appropriate regulations.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default use 120's

use 120's. They seem to do the job the best. Space your trigger to get marten or weasal. Thinner for weasel thicker for martern!