Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ske flying updates

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Ske flying updates

Well another ske season is here.
    I plan to have skes on by the week end and go to the cabin.
    Upper fishcreek lake by lakecreek off the yetna. I called the lodge and there is 13 inches of ice on the lake. I cant remember a year that i could go out there so early.
    I thought i would start a thred where we could report on ice and snow conditions around the state . anyone on skes yet Hows the lakes in the willow area anyone know.........

Default I love the ice

I don't know about ski's, i broke mine two years ago. But this is my favorite time of year to go out and land wheels on the ice befor the snow gets to deep. I would also love to know some ice conditions. If i make it out i will report.

I have about 8" on my lake near Kenai. A guy was out tooling around on a 3 wheeler the other day. He stayed near shore and didn't get too far out though. I have heard of folks out icefishing down here as well. The ice is nice and clear.

Mac

Finaly got to fly out to the cabin. on upper fishcreek lake which is buy lake creek. I got to spend five days..
    14 inches of ice on the lake. checked out the yetna it looked good for this time of year. The big sue didnt look to good yet alot of open leads and it looked pretty ruff. theres not alot of snow maybe 6 inches on the lakes and a foot in the woods. Seen a wolf on the lake and a few fox.

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Finaly got to fly out to the cabin. on upper fishcreek lake which is buy lake creek. I got to spend five days..
    14 inches of ice on the lake. checked out the yetna it looked good for this time of year. The big sue didnt look to good yet alot of open leads and it looked pretty ruff. theres not alot of snow maybe 6 inches on the lakes and a foot in the woods. Seen a wolf on the lake and a few fox.
    Hey Lance,

Give me a shout, I have been trying to get ahold of you all dang summer.... I got my bird in the air and am hoping to get the skis on next time home

Leni

Default Where's your cabin?

Lance,
    Good to hear there's plenty of ice.
    Where are you located on upper fish creek lake?
    My folks just bought the one with the red roof on the eastern shore.
    Picked up my skis a couple weeks ago. Waiting for my mechanic to install them. This aircraft has never had them, so need tabs and all the rigging. May be a while. Hope to have them on by Christmas. If not we'll head out on the sleds when the river is safe.
    We appreciate the reports.
    David

I have the last cabin on the lake east side upper lake. what cabin did your parents get is it rustys old cabin.

Default Cabin

They bought it from Robert Gaines.
    the main cabin is dark green with a red metal roof.
    the shed is yellow with a tarp roof right now.
    small floating dock (about 6 barrels)
    it's about mid lake on the eastern side.
    we can't wait to get out there.
    think I will fly it (still on wheels) and see how the river looks over Thanksgiving. Anyway, I'm sure we'll see you out there one of these days.
    Fly safe.
    David

Dave
    I kow the cabin
    As of last week you could land there on wheels there was only abou three inches of snow and it was wind blown.
    Ive herd there is about 5 inches now but it was windy and some of the lake was wind blown. It can snow a foot ot two real quick out there so make shure you check it out good .. There is 18 inches of ice for shure it was checked with the augar in three diferent spots
    I always make a nice strip for skes. I will be up there soon mabe before the weekend once i get the strip in we can make a turn off to you cabin.
    We make a long strip so berrys 206 can get in with fuel.

Default Fish Lake

Cool, I probably should have gotten out on wheels and checked sooner. (Here I've been wishing for snow for the sleds) Is Berry / 206 with the lodge or is he on the upper lake too? We also have a 206, so will appreciate the long strip. Do you get much traffic up that way? Does the lodge stay pretty busy in the winter? Sorry lots of questions, we're just excited to get out there. Thanks again for all the info. David

Berry is out of willow but he flys to the lake whenever anyone needs anything..
    The lodge is not busy in winter they are just starting out..
    they just bougt it last winter..
    The lake is a very bisy place three new cabins were built in the last year
    all related.. they all show up at the same time . They dont stay on the trails and tear the lake up with there go fast snowmachines Its not like it ust to be.
    In two weeks i will be out there for 4 or 5 days Ill put the strip in.
    The guy and gall Dan and Julie that owns the lodge is a people to get to know if you plan on coming out by snow machine the good trail gose thrue his property. If you plan on hauling any freaght thats the trail you want to use. Otherwise you haft to go on the other side of the creek. Always overflow and open water........
    We are on the good part of the lake all the yahoos are below us So far i am the last cabin on the lake.
    Lets get together where do you live im in wasilla 355-6205-lance
    P.S I always bring Dan and Julie a traspass fee lol one fithe of segrams seven. They live there year around and if anyone comes around they check it out.........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Meet

Lance,
    Sounds good. We're in Eagle River. We would love to meet with you, and learn more about what we've gotten into. I'll see my folks at brunch tomorrow, we'll give you a call. Talked to my mechanic today, still in line for ski installation. I'm cleaning a Mikuni carb in the meantime. Talk to you soon.
    David

After this last snow or should i say this snow we should have ex, ske flying.. Planing on going soon..

Default New guys

I do not want to seem thin skinned But I think you are calling us the "new guys". My Dad had a place on the upper lake since the mid 80's long before the lodge and peter even showed up. It is true My Brother and I left for Collage and we were not around in the winters but we went up several times each summer. When Dad finaly sold his place(The red one that now looks like it is about to fall off its foundatuion) we would rent from Peter a few times a year to fish. Once we were both making money we started to look for more land up there because we had so much fun as kids and we wanted or own kids (5 of them) to have the same fun we did. The 3rd new place is a great guy that has been a friend since we have been in Jr high and he used to come up with us as a kid as well.

The go fast snow machines??? We have 3 Skandik superwides and 3 tundras, none real fast if you have ever ridden one. As for the trails...we did not buy remote places to ride trails and asking 5 kids to not mark up all that powder is unrealistic.

All 3 of us and our wives are teachers in Palmer and Wasilla(where we grew up going to school 1st-12th grade) if you ever need anything or need to talk here is my contact #745-5464 we are all real nice if you stop by and say hi.

Bill Booth -The land next to Rusts that is just now getting cleared.
    David Booth-The barn style with a green roof.
    Greg Giauque-The newest one on the left by the lodge

Booth
    I was wondering if i was going to hear from you guys. I was up there for a week before cristmas> was 20 to 25 below brrrrr. I do plan on stoping by to visit It seems I am so busy when im there. Peter should be back in a week or two he stays at the cabin since he sold the lodge.
    As far as tearing up the lake im not shure who it is and it dosnt even effect me..I just care about the strip i put in every year its not good on a airplane to land on a strip when it has two ft deep ruts going accrost it .
    I haft to regroom it befor i can have fuel and supplys flown in from willow.
    I dont know whose been doing it. There is alot of traffic other than you guys. Every week end alot of people get lost and or are just up there to check it out. I do know the tracks on the airstrip are not widetracts.
    I think we should all get together at the lodge one night so everyone can get to know everyone. As far as the new guys you know how it go's the new guy gets blamed for everything LOL,
    I like the property one of you got where you cleared it both ways so you can see the lake on each side.

Default We're the REAL new guys!

But don't blame us for anything yet. At least not until we've been out there and done something. We finally got the plane back with skis today. We're ready to head out to the cabin, although I wish it were a little warmer. We'll probably try to make a quick trip one day this weekend. We are certainly the new guys out there. We've got two kids, 9 & 11, that will be under strict orders to keep their sleds off the strip. The machines are all sitting on a trailer in the driveway for now. We'll probably run them out there when the temps get back above zero. We look forward to meeting and getting to know all the neighbors. What ages are the other kids out there? Any report on surface/strip conditions? I won't be able to do any grooming until we get a running sled out there. Going to have to be real careful not to get this 206 stuck, it weighs a ton. Happy New Year!
    David Bassett 229-8758

Default kids

Kids in 3 families. Mine are 13 and 17. My brothers are 7, 10, and 12. My buddy is just starting and has a 2 year old and needs to start working on a sybling. We spend the last week of May every year, most of July and as much of late Sept as we can get away with. We also just drop in year round when we have a day or 2 off.

Dave
    I havent ben out to the cabin is two weeks then the strip was perfect.
    I talked to dan today and he said that it was windy out there for a few days. He said the strip had a few small drifts on it that wern't that bad just a little roley. he said that it is still landable. But he will go over and groom it soon.
    I am planning on hauling out some freaght this coming weekend on the snowgo. Some fuel and beer lol. If you want to go let me know.
    If you do we can make a trail to your cabin from the strip.. Front row parking.........

Both strips have been groomed at upper fish lake. It did snow about 5 inches there today.. It warmed up to 15 deg.

Default Strips

Thanks Lance. Well, I think our plane survived the windstorms. Mechanic/neighbor and I are going to look it over real close before flying again. Lots of water on top of the ice here. Been wearing hip waders with yaktrax to take care of the plane. Got some boards under the skis so we don't freeze in. Hope the lake will freeze back up here soon and get a nice cushion of snow on top so we can get back after it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast