Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Bear

Default Kodiak Bear

Halloween Treat!

Out deer Hunting and cut a big fresh track In the snow. Followed for 3 minutes to an alder patch. Walked 10 steps into the alder patch and all of a sudden, Alders started breaking and bear showed up huffing and looking at me though some weeds at 6 yards. Reaction took over and looked through scope and shot below head and hit him in the chest. He roared very loudly, shot him in the side as he turned to run away, and roared again. .Turned towards my brother in law and said" Did I just shoot a Brown Bear". His eyes were huge and then a big smile came over his face. He did not see the bear until after the second shot. He did not shoot because I was in front and slightly to the side of him. The Bear ran less than 20 yards and was dead. The first shot went through the left side of the chest into the heart and out the opposite side in the ribs and out.The second shot was in the lungs and in the hide on the other side. Shot him with a Weatherby re barreled in .338 Win Mag with 250 grain Nosler partitions topped with a 4X redfeild scope. Bear was laying on a deer kill(3X3). Wind was in our face, bear must of heard us in the snow and came to take a look. Took my brother in law and I everything we had move him for pictures and to turn over to skin. Had a 2+ mile pack out and pack weighed 136 pounds with just the hide. Boar was 9 feet 1 inch squared and a 26 13/16 inch skull. A few minutes before we found the track we were discussing people getting mauled, like the hunters on the west side! Crazy Good Time!! Thanks Dwight!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up Very lucky!

Wow, what a story. You guys are real lucky it turned out the way it did. Beautiful bear, I'm jealous. Are you going to have him life sized, or rugged out? I vote for the life size if you can afford it and have the room.
    Kort

Default Great Bear

Congrats on your succesful hunt. What a great story and trophy of a lifetime.

Default wow

Thats about all that can be said. I got to 50 yrds of a couple of bears and know what that felt like, I can only imagine what 6 yrds would do for the ol' ticker. Glad that you shoot straight

Default shotgunning

Thats where all those pheasant hunts come handy......quick reactive instictive shooting.

I have to ask.....was that a registration permit or did you use a drawing permit?

I know here in SE AK when were hunting deer in the late season we always pack a bear permit......just-in-case.

Thats a magnificient bear. You'll enjoy that for a lifetime........you kids and relatives will enjoy that bear.

May we always have wilderness to wander.

Cool story, glad to hear that a person “got” the bear and not the other way around.

Very nice bear - Congrats!

Default Tons of Bears

Great story and beautiful bear. Here is a photo of a few bears on a whale down there this summer. Wouldn't want to run out of gas right then!
    Looking forward to my hunt, hope a little less exciting!
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

awesome bear story..man sometimes it happens fast and when you least expect it. for a roadsystem bear he's super! i love the dark hide and his hair looks great!! nice work.
    why can't i get a whale carcass on one of my hunts....geeez
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Big Bear!

That was a great hunt! It couldn't have worked out better!

I think that I still need to clean my shorts.......
    DJ

Great bear & great story!!!

Jake, friend in Port Lions took one off a whale a couple of weeks ago. A friend of his had taken one off it a couple of days prior.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

So how many trophies is that for you this year? Sheep, bison, elk,......! Now an awesome bear on top of that. I hate you and want to be you at the same time.

Your taxidermist better be giving you a discount. Hope you have big walls.

Congrats!

I do feel super lucky. A sheep, a caribou, Roosevelt Elk, Delta Bison, Blacktail Deer, and now the Kodiak brown bear! Six different species.

It was a registration permit.

His hide is absolutely perfect, no rubs or scratches or problems what so ever!

Beautiful with his black sleves.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I do feel super lucky. A sheep, a caribou, Roosevelt Elk, Delta Bison, Blacktail Deer, and now the Kodiak brown bear! Six different species.

It was a registration permit.

His hide is absolutely perfect, no rubs or scratches or problems what so ever!

Beautiful with his black sleves.
    You're living the hunter's dream, especially the close encounter with the bear. A lot of threads here are about bear stoppers...looks like you and yours did the walk. Fantastic bear for sure. So from Maydog to you, ya lucky dog, congratulations.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Unbelievable

Beautiful bear and awesome hunting year for you! I work hard to get one of those species each year, wow!

Also, I can't believe the number of bears on that whale kill. That's amazing!

Dude! Great bear and great story. Congratulations.

Taylor

Smile

yes, really great bear and story

Default Nice

Hope your mount comes out as good as your hunt, congrats !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    yes, really great bear and story
    Dito....great job

thats allot of bear burgers for sure!!!
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up Way to go.....

Alaska, Kodiak Island, deer hunting and the .338 Win. Mag. with 250 grain Nosler Partitions. It looks like you were loaded for bear and proved you were up to the task. What a beautiful animal. In my opinion they are America's most awesome creature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast