Thread: My 45Cal. cap lock rifle will be here soon

Default My 45Cal. cap lock rifle will be here soon

My 45 Cal. cap lock rifle will be here soon as my smith will be wrapping up some final touches such as sights on the barrel. It is a 45 Cal cap lock with 32" barrel, .458" grooves and .450" lands with grooves being 50% wider than lands. This set up has been proven to drive a 350gr paper patch bullet 1830fps, and a sabot 305gr 1920fps and a 410gr paper Patch at 1750fps
    I will be out of town for two weeks so he will not mail my rifle to me until I return from my trip.
    Here are a few pictures he sent me

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Nice

Good lookin' smokepole ! If it shoots as good as it looks you've got a winner.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Good lookin' smokepole ! If it shoots as good as it looks you've got a winner.
    If it shoots like the rifle I saw that is just like this one I will be happy
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth, that is one beautiful piece of hardware! Would I be out of line to ask what the approximate cost will be? I've always been interested in those old muzzleloaders, and some day will probably take the plunge. Have fun!

Awesome weapon beartooth. I have thought many times about a muzzleloader but since CA has no specific muzzleloader season I have not done so yet. The beauty of that rifle though and the nostalgia that accompanies it makes the acquisition of one mighty tempting.

Keep us posted when you get it in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Beartooth, that is one beautiful piece of hardware! Would I be out of line to ask what the approximate cost will be? I've always been interested in those old muzzleloaders, and some day will probably take the plunge. Have fun!
    Terry, thank you for the complement on the rifle. The cost could range from 500.00 plus depending on whether you supplied the stock and some of the furniture for the build. I supplied him with a stock off of a Traditions Hawkens 50 Cal rifle. He then spends hours refitting the brass to wood fit, refinishes the stock, reworks the trigger group, the lock system and then fits the new barrel to the stock and makes a custom ramrod for the new 32" barrel. If you had the furniture and stock you could spend much less than a new T/C Hawkens. He is making the rifle to pretty much match my 45 cal. cap lock pistol he made that has a 14" barrel of the same specifications as the rifle. Here is a picture of the pistol.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Awesome weapon beartooth. I have thought many times about a muzzleloader but since CA has no specific muzzleloader season I have not done so yet. The beauty of that rifle though and the nostalgia that accompanies it makes the acquisition of one mighty tempting.

Keep us posted when you get it in hand.
    ONE73, It is an awesome weapon and it has the beauty of nostalgia becasue it is the hunting rifle of the mid to late 1800's. This is what the average hunter of that day carried which was a 40 or 45 cal rifle with a 28" to 32" rifle shooting paper patched bullets.

I will send a picture when I get it in hand. He stills has to put sights on it which are the same as on my pistol and also a spark/flash cup around the nipple which keeps powder out of the lock system and out of the eyes of the shooter.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Pistol

Looks like the pistol started life as a Traditions as well. I've got one like it in 45 C&B and it shoots like a house-afire. Just has a shorter 10" barrell.
    Won a lot of duels with it, maybe 30 or so.
    ENJOY !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Looks like the pistol started life as a Traditions as well. I've got one like it in 45 C&B and it shoots like a house-afire. Just has a shorter 10" barrell.
    Won a lot of duels with it, maybe 30 or so.
    ENJOY !
    brav01, you are correct, it started life as a Traditions 50 cal cap lock but was resurrected from that dead state to what it is today.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default YEP

I purchased one of their Patriot Pistols in 45 cal. to shoot duels some years back. Never lost a duel:won 30 or more though + several bullseye matches. Still have the gun just don't shoot it much.