Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater salmon lures

Default Saltwater salmon lures

The last two times we have been to SE Alaska we trolled strips of herring for pinks and silvers. I have been looking at some of the lures in the catalogs and wondering what most of the people up there use. We are coming up again for a self guided trip the first part of August and hope to catch a few again in 2009. Has anyone had any better luck with the lures or flashers with the E-chip or are they just there to attract fishermen. We have done fairly well with what we used, just always looking to do better.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default prince william sound

i jig for silvers with crippled herring or some of my homeades like this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In PWS I use a lot of the chrome buzz bombs. I have caught salmon, rock fish, ling cod, and flat fish with these in various sizes. http://www.buzzbombzzinger.com/buzzbomb.html

I usually jig them but have trolled with them and had great success. Another favorite of mine is the apex trolling lure in chrome and silver scale. http://www.hotspotlures.com/products_apex_troll.php

I really like the look of akriverrat's homeade lures.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Silver Salmon Lures

There is a lure available on the market called the "Salmon Prop" that's a real killer. Trolled about 30 inches behind a flasher will bring consistant results. Green and silver colors are the best. Available at B&J
    It's been my experience that on some days it will catch more fish than herring.

Apex! No e-chip needed.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Fishing for Silver

My experience has been that when silvers are feeding it doesn't really matter what you throw at them. I think when hungry they would go after a bare hook. For lures I like the big vibrax or even a large skagit spinner.

Pixees work, so do crease flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Spoons

I troll exclusively with large spinners and spoons and an occasional plug. 99% of the time on a flat line with no flasher or dodger. I just know they are running right and the bait is always there. You will be amazed that somedays a 3" spoon works and then they will take nothing smaller than a 7" spoon the next. Quick connects for fast changes to find what they like. Ebay is a great way to find estate sales on huge amounts of spoons and spinners for trolling.
    Echips just catch fishermen.

Another victim of the Apex...

Sometimes bait is the way to go and sometimes a spoon or plug will work. I try to vary what`s draggin back there...it`s usually just the standard flasher/hootch/slice of herring that works the best.

I like stuff that works well when trolled fast - got a lot of seward silvers this summer on these combos:

1. 11" flasher/hoochie (hoochies had a "fishy" color combo of light bottom/dark back, and were rigged very cleanly without a lot of fluff...hot tip...if you use twinkly skirts under them, trim away about 3/4 or more of the total mylar on the twinkly skirt, and trim the mylar even with the back of the hoochie, and use beads to space your hook(s) back to teh very back of the hoochie).
    2. The longest apex in various chrome/reflective combos
    3. 5" tomic plugs - these accounted for fewer fish, but they tended to be large.

If I would have had a stash of 4" tomics, I would have towed them a lot.

Thanks for all the advice. It gives me something to do while waiting for next summer. We only make it up there every other year so have to do something while waiting for the time to pass. Now I can work on getting a few lures before next summer. Last time, I switched to jigging for halibut instead of just soaking bait and caught a 125 pounder. Thought this time I may try a few new things for salmon too.

What are the thoughts on the E chip? I have that on some of my hoochies and one some herring rigs. I didn't get to use any of it enough last year to see if it made a difference or not? What do you folks think about em?

Everyone loves to troll for silvers, but it wastes gas some of the time. Find a school and stay on top of them and mooch or jig. If they are feeding, you don't need anything other then strips of herring. Last summer in Valdez there were literally hundreds of boats going back and forth from the harbor trolling, picking up fish here and there. We anchored about 2 minutes outta the harbor on top of a school of jumpers, tossed whole mooching herring on gamakatsu's and limited 3 people plus part of a proxy in a few hours. We trolled 6 hours before that with 3 fish total.

No big secrets, just find the fish and throw bait at them. If they are biting, you'll catch 'em.

Not that there is anything wrong with trolling, and in fact often that is more productive as a school may not hold long enough in one spot to warrant stopping, or the fish could be spotty so you need to cover more ground. Just saying you need to also take other things into consideration other then just the lure/bait combo. Sometimes it pays to stop and fish the bait balls vertically, rather then trolling through them....all sorts of ways to attack things. Dead-drift a whole herring around feeding silvers for a few minutes...see what happens.

Back to the top.

Steve

Last year, totally by accident as I was jigging for Rockfish with a 4.5 ounce Zzinger Chrome Color,http://www.buzzbombzzinger.com/zzinger.html I put it in the rod holder with about 40 feet of line and attempted to motor back over the point rock pile when I had a big silver hit like a ton of bricks. I repeated the procedure until in short order, everyone had their limit on Silvers. I also really like a double hook set 30" leader, single bead with a 4-5 inch white with pink polka dots behind a flasher and big jet diver. Anything comes close to it gets attacked or snags them in the snout if they get too close. Green and white is ok as well, but for some reason the white and pink will catch 2-1 for me. I do best on the turn.

Three of us jigged the pink and white 41/2" Buzz Bombs at Cheval friday and saturday and were into constant action for hours each day. With about a 6 to 1 ratio of humpies to silvers, limits came at a price but oh what fun on light tackle. The chrome are killers as well but on the dark overcast days the pink/white seem to out fish them all.

Tight lines....

Weserve, I'm in total agreement on this. If I'm just trying to pack Coho's in the freezer, I really like the 4.5 Luhr Jensen Coyotes with a single hook, no bait on the hook. When the bites on, it's quick and easy to pop the hook on the Coyotes, and swiftly get the gear back down and fishing again.

Weserve, I was thinking about trolling some casting lures for the heck of it. Are you using the Vibrax for standard casting? Or actually trolling them?

Quote Originally Posted by weserve View Post
    My experience has been that when silvers are feeding it doesn't really matter what you throw at them. I think when hungry they would go after a bare hook. For lures I like the big vibrax or even a large skagit spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by weserve View Post
    That was definitely our experience Saturday (14th) out by Agnes. . D-I-L's 15 yr old nephew up from Iowa got one heck of a workout. The kid doesn't talk much, but the ear to ear grin pretty much says it all.

"CAN'T BEAT THE REAL THING"

What about the brads cut plug lures for silvers?
    I read on here they work good.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    "CAN'T BEAT THE REAL THING"

What about the brads cut plug lures for silvers?
    I read on here they work good.
    Wow chrisn you are just an absolute cut up. You should be doing stand up at the big comedy clubs in LA. Your humor is "definetly" right up there with, I'd say around kindergarten level. Too bad what you're attempting to make humor about doesn't even apply here, but apparently you "definetly" don't quite grasp that.

My favorite lure for silvers is a rainbow colored Tee-Spoon. Can't remember the size, but the one that's size appropriate for silvers. But Vibrax spinners are about the same thing and I've used those plenty of times, too. I also love the Tsunami squid that you can buy through Cabela's. They work great for silvers and for kings. My favorite color is the "glo".

But as "weserve" said, I totally agree that when there are large numbers of silvers around they'll strike just about anything that flashes. I have underwater videos of them hitting my little "000" and "00" Jensen dodgers. I think you could put a hook on the back of one of them and catch silvers.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast