Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with ARs

Default Help with ARs

I'm looking to buy an inexpensive AR fairly soon. I'm a bit lost in the multitude of brands. I was looking at an Olympic Arms Plinker, but someone I know said not to get one that they're junk. BUT he couldn't tell me HOW or WHY they were junk.

I'm not looking for 1/4 MOA groups, just want something that'll go bang everytime I pull the trigger, that'll hit a target at 100yd or so and that I can hang other caliber uppers on.

Is there an AR out there for me? Under $800?

I never owned an Oly so can't comment first hand about their quality but have read pros and cons...not enough cons to sway me if I wanted an economical AR as they are still among the least expensive around I believe. I once owned a Bushmaster and was pleased with it...paid about $750 as I recall. I think you can find one for under $800 with a little judicous shopping...maybe have to resort to one of the auction sites depending on what's available locally. A lot of people will comment negatively about a particular brand without being able to articulate specifically why they think that way, as you have noted...doesn't mean it's a bad rifle. Anything that's mil spec should work OK, especially if the user understands the system and performs regular preventive maintenance...good magazines are also critical.

I have heard the Bushmaster M4 is nice and also check out DPMS.

If you're looking for cheap, here's an option http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1826

I'd say you might want to look into the different configurations of AR's, i.e. stocks, triggers, barrels, sights.

While most any configuration will go bang consistantly, you might find that you want a more flexible platform, i.e. a flat top with detachable carry handle to add a scope, a faster twist barrel to shoot the heavier bullets, shorter barrel etc.

If you'll be shooting it a fair bit, you'll find that at the rate that ammo adds up, you might want to spend a bit more to get exactly what you want. On the other hand, it's fairly simple to swap out parts so you can upgrade as you go.

The Olympic brand is not top of the line but the two I own run with out issues and accuracy is good.

Fit and finish are not great but thats not an issue with me for there intended purpose.

Default AR's

To build an AR start with a lower reciever that is Mil-Spec and go from there. The other parts are bolted or pinned to the lower receiver. These bolt on parts are what determines the accuracy of an AR.
    Just pick the ONE you like.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Check this one out - New DPMS for $709 + shipping - Auction arms
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Dpms

I own two DPMS rifles (556 and 308) and am ordering a third. Their performance with DPMS mags has been flawless and accuracy superb, with factory and reloaded ammo (reloads not covered under warranty) and good preventive maintenance. DPMS would be a reasonably-priced excellent choice, among others, provided you can find one available. New orders are currently on a 6-8 month backlog.

I would never buy another Oly.....

Makers:

CMMG: High end of quality but not the most expensive
    LMT:
    Noveske
    Colt LE6920
    Sabre Defense:
    Stag
    Rock River Arms:
    S&W:
    Bushmaster
    DPMS

Here is a VERY GOOD breakdown of various AR-15 platforms: Let the photos load up..

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=jwise

Take a look at this spread sheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...jFwPrgTA&hl=en
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Just FYI, I bought my Dad a DPMS A3 flattop sportacle for 642.00 at colemantyler.com. Comes with 3-30 round clips, carrying case, nylon sling, and cleaning kit. Kinda hard to beat a price like that!! They also carry Sun Devil billet uppers and lowers for a VERY reasonable price.

Comes with 3-30 round clips
    Magazines.
    A clip is a stripper rail or enbloc piece of sheet metal that has no follower or spring.

For some reason the word has been misused since WWI when most folks had access to their first clip fed firearm. The 1903 and 1917 rifles which used a 5 round clip to load the rifle's internal magazine. And of course the first semi-auto pitols like the Mauser C-96 Broomhandle used stripper clips to load their magazine as well.

I have never been able to figure out why a clip became confused with a magazine. It would be like saying the barrel and stock are the same thing...

Pic of WWI era clips and a 1960s vintage 5 round charger clip used to load M-14 magazines via a spoon or through the top of the open M-14 action using the stripper clip guide.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FP, I am sorry for mis-typing that. Of course I meant magazine. You cant even buy them where they are advertised as clips, so yes, I agree that it would be hard to mix them up. Combine typing/thinking fast and thats what came out....

I have been cranky since Tuesday night.

www.ar15.com

you will find anything you need there.

I go with rock river arms

That list from above is great, all good companys

The why behind olympic arms sucking is this (IMHO)
    AR15s are based off the mil spec plans that a machine shop (RRA, DPMS etc) makes their components. Some machine shops are better than others, tolerances are too loose, quality control is no good, etc, they may turn out some firearms that work just fine, but a higher percentage of Olympics stuff is junk than the others listed.

RRA is awesome, most definately get a flattop upper.

I'm about to buy a S&W M&P15T - comes with troy quad rail, troy flip up battle sights, low profile gas block, etc, 1500 where you can find them.

For the least expensive with good performance, DPMS is going to be the easiest to find.

Then buy 30 rnd MAGPUL P-MAGS. They rock.

PS... DO NOT BUY THAT 640 DOLLAR DPMS FROM COLEMANTYLER

It is a sportical version and does not have a forward assist, a dust cover, or a shell deflector, all important things IMHO in regards to a tactical rifle.

Ummm.... you had better get out there and find something and just buy it. You would not believe how fast these things are flying off of the shelves. There is very little stock left in Alaska. As for the major online retailers in the lower 48, meager pickings there as well. Most companies like RRA are saying 6 months on new orders, and I imagine that will be at the short end. Things are NOT looking good for us in the years ahead and it appears everyone knows it.

Just a quick word on Olympic rifles. i bought mine in 1995 and have literally run thousands of rounds thru it without a burp. I am meticulis with my cleaning and use good and clean mags. Like was mention earlier, make up your mind quick while you still have the option to buy one, The times they are a changing.

Default AR

I have carried all of them in my work overseas, they are pretty much all the same if they have been made in the last 8 or 10 yrs. The old bushmaster were there best to be had back in the day,but now there is not much differance and any one make. I have an Olympic now that i have put just short of about 8000 rds threw it and can count about 1 miss feed. I have used the junk wolf rounds and the good stuff and they all work real well. The Olympic is cheaper in price by at least 200 on the RRA and you get the same weapon. Just my 2 cents Happy hunting.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    PS... DO NOT BUY THAT 640 DOLLAR DPMS FROM COLEMANTYLER

It is a sportical version and does not have a forward assist, a dust cover, or a shell deflector, all important things IMHO in regards to a tactical rifle.
    But for someone, like my Dad, who wants an AR just to have one in case he can't get one, then its a good, cheap, viable option....

And as far as F.A. goes, thats another discussion....

Default FYI

Just a heads up. Was in GunRunners yesterday and you wouldn't believe how stuff was flying off the shelf. Talked with Niels who owns the place later and he said anything in semi-auto was going fast and AR's were at the top of the list. With Obama-binladin coming into office you better get what you can now. Ammo included.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast