Thread: Sagavanirktok questions

Default Sagavanirktok questions

I have heard that this river contains a section of whitewater, does anybody have first hand info about the whitewater? If so is it worth the drive? Are there other rivers/creeks nearby the Sag. that are worthy, that could be boated along the way. I have been up the Ivashak in an airboat, but that's all Ive seen of the Sag. from the pump station two launch. Where is the put in for the whitewater?

Marko,
    The Sag has some huge whitewater just above Accomplishment creek. It's class IV+ depending on water levels. You have to hump 3 or 4 miles of tundra to run this section or put in at the Atigun River bridge near Pump 4.

The Atigun is a challenging river with a very technical stair-step boulder garden rapid just above it's confluence with the Sag. It would be fun for a small crew of highly experienced kayakers--the pinning hazards are high so you want support JIC.

Bring bear protection and plan on 2 or 3 days from the bridge back to the take out at Slope Mtn DOT camp.

I ran it in Sept 02 in my Aire Jag. The Atigun is generally shallow with lots of exposed, flaking shale in the river bed. Definitely a better trip for hardshell boats.

I wrote up a fairly extensive report--search for Atigun/Sag Info

Good luck

Default Thanks Eric

This does sound like it would be worth the drive. Another question, when is the typical high water/ low water season on the slope, and could the rapids be scouted?
    Your write up that you sent me too was nice, more people need to post their adventures so others can learn from them and use to help ensure they know what their getting into. A huge problem with river running in alaska is, a lack of clear descriptions of many rivers, even within an hours drive of wasilla. Their are our beloved guide books, written by Tim J. and Dr. Embick but unless its grinding class v+ the descriptions are vague.

The middle Atigun is tough to scout because of almost continuous sheer walls but that section is not too technical. Twisty and shallow but not too tough, especially for a kayak. The big rapid on the Atigun & the whole 28 miles of the Sag is scoutable.

If you're looking to time your trip for high water then late May/early June when snowmelt/runoff peaks but I wouldn't recommend it.

July. It will be buggy but the water levels should be good.