Thread: Just bought my first sled

Default Just bought my first sled

Just kind of a highway of random thought. I just bought my first sled and I am so geeked. 1999 Polaris Indy 550 2-up touring sled. I'm using it to do some ice fishing, bird hunting and possibly a moose hunt across the Tanana. Oh yeah, and the Fairbanks archery hunt...I generally plan on doing some trail riding with the wife. She got hooked on a two wheeled ride over the summer so I hope to get her hooked on tracked rides over the winter...my diabolical plan seems to have worked thus far! The wife likes motorcycles...so I get more riding time! Hahahahaha!!! If she digs the sled, more hunting muahahaha! For all you technophiles out there here is some sled data, tell me what you think (bored at work)...

1999 Polaris Indy 550 2-up Touring sled
    Dash bag
    Adjustable passenger seat
    Heated Helmet
    Hand warmers
    2200 miles
    Needs a new windshield (but this one isn't terrible, just a few little cracks)
    Electric start
    Reverse
    Paid $1500

Anyways, I suppose I should get back to work...well, I don't actually work...so um...I'm gonna uh...

Congrats on the new sled! The touring sleds are great for all the things you want to do with it!

Regarding the windshield, get an automotive style soldering gun (one with a flat, circular tip) and "weld" the cracks back together on both sides. I did/do this with my original windshield and it is still on the machine (looks like a jigsaw puzzle tho).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Regarding the windshield, get an automotive style soldering gun (one with a flat, circular tip) and "weld" the cracks back together on both sides. I did/do this with my original windshield and it is still on the machine (looks like a jigsaw puzzle tho).
    Great tip, you earned yourself some reputation

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Great tip, you earned yourself some reputation

WOOHOOO! I can use all I can get!!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks!

I've had it for 72 hours (okay, like 60 really) and already added some luggage and I am going to add a gun boot tonight...that way when the 'Dems try to take my guns I can pack the wife and dogs out into the bush and be the happiest kid ever!

What length a width sled track?

Default Sled

I believe it is a 15" wide track by about 138. I found the limitations of it today too...spent a while digging and using a LOT of momentum to get up what I went down....should have figured beyond the initial thought of "hey I can get down that!" Fun none the less!

Default Cool Idea for windshield repair.

AK MUD, I have used the soldering iron with your same results. Another trick is to use a hot melt glue gun. Does the same thing but adds material, doesn't leave the little ditches on the repair. Works on the plastic cowlings, too.

Default Another method

(but still ugly) is to use plastic model glue in the crack, then drill (or better yet melt) little holes 1/2" apart from one another, and 1/4" in on either side of the crack. Next, sew the crack up with mono in a criss-cross fashion and finish it off with more glue in the holes and along the fish line. Don't forget to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop its progress.