Thread: Learn to Return?

Default Learn to Return?

Anybody take any classes through these folks? Worth the money?

Thanks
    Joel

Blink,
    The owner, Brian Horner, is a former AF Survival Instructor. He was also a member of Norman Vaughn's expedition to climb Mount Vaughn in Antarctica. He's been something of a pioneer in practical "survival medicine" as well. He's a very intense guy but a true survival expert. He teaches some classes (at least he used to) through UAA in addition to his business. His classes are worth your money and time.

Erik,
    thanks for the info. the ole lady and I have been kicking it around about some of the wilderness first responder course (and a few others).

Joel

I have shared the Anchorage Fire Department Training Tower with Brian and Learn to Return several times. They have been good experiences in working around each other and maintaining safety for both training groups. Like Erik wrote, and from my observations, Brian and his instructors provide an intense training course.

I took some courses from LTR when I was working overseas on an offshore platform several years back. It was one of the best courses I've ever had. Brian is a hoot, very intense, absolutely knows is stuff, and a great teacher. I took an underwater escape training course, ie what to do if the bird you are in doesn't make it to the platform or land and you need to get out, underwater.

I was at the range awhile back and he was there and talking a trip he'd taken to the Brooks range. I'm not sure I quite heard him right, but it sounds like he was dropped off, naked, and spent 3 days surviving out there.

Default Good training

learn to return is a good investment. We do the helicopter in the water training in a swimming pool every year or two for the Cook inlet Platforms.
    the Training stays pretty much the same each time unless he finds something to improve your chances of survival.
    If you will be traveling in a light Airplane, boat, or car or anything that gets near or over water, the Principals he teaches will work.
    The biggest thing I have recieved from the classes is the Reference points, and making a plan to get out of what ever vehicle I am in either upside down in the ditch or in the water.
    Last week I was talking to the pilot I fly with out in Dillingham about his seat belts in his float plane. I noticed that when he got in the plane he put his seat belt on and then scooted the seat he was in as far forward as possible. I asked him on the head set if he could undo his seat belt from this position. He tried and could not unless he pushed his seat back far enough for him to reach the release.
    If he were to end up in a wreck on a lake, he would have to remember to scoot the seat back so he could reach the release and get out, or he would drown.
    This very thing happened to a pilot on the Kenai a few years back on Longmere Lake. He flipped the plane on landing and everyone got out except him. he drowned because he could not release his harness.
    My pilot friend In Dillingham said he had never even thought of that in a lake wreck scenerio and now said he knows what to do to get out if that happens.
    .. Anyway, Take the class and it should help you to think in a way you may have never thought before.
    I use the same thought processes now at work when I need to do a confined space entry. I find reference points and spend a few moments more than I did before planning an escape if needed in the dark, or alternate exits etc.
    Here is a question for you to think about.
    when you get into an commercial airplane, and belt up. which way does the lever flip to release. To the left?, or to the right?
    How about your cars release?, or your friends car when you are riding with them? Are they push button on the top or the end?
    Do you have to hunt for the door release when you go to get out of a strange car? or do you know exactly where it is and how it works a few moments after you climb in?
    The answer to the seat belt release direction on a commercial airplanes is..
    (They can go either way, to the left or the right.. so you need to make mental note which way it releases so you don't fumble.)

Default survival classes

So does anyone know a schedule of first response classes available or anything like it? I was considering taking something like that this winter or spring. Any phone #'s or ideas would be great.
    Thanks!
    <*)))><

Default Artic Survival Training

For any of you military types here. Eielson AFB has a class about artic survival. It's a lot of fun and teaches need to know info for people traped somewhere in the winter. They teach everything from building fires, traping, building shelter, and more. You will have to make reservations in advance though. I'm not sure if Fort Wainwright offers a simmilar coarse or not for the Army. I know it is open to all Air Force ranks but I don't know about civilians though. Will find out and repost later.