Thread: Teaching Trapping?

Default Teaching Trapping?

I have been interested in trapping for a few years, I have even bought several books on the subject, but I think I am missing some of the basics. I learn visually, with hands on experience. Is there anyone out there, hopefully with in a couple of hours of the anchorage area, who would be willing to show me how to make sets? I don't ask that you take me on your trap line, just help me grasp the terminology and the why of making sets. Doing the set-ups in your back yard would be sufficient. Why do you use this trap instead of that one? Why set above the ground, in a hole, on the ground? Why chose swamps over hills or mountain sides, or vice versa? Etc. Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Sending ya a pm...

Steve.....you putting on a clinic?? (HINT HINT HINT!!!)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I too, would like to learn if anyone is willing to teach me.

I was talking to Moosehead about being a student, but he seems to be busy or something, haven't heard from him in a while...

You guys seriously need to go over and check out www.trapperman.com

Go to the Wilderness forum there. I learned 90 percent of my trapping from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Sending ya a pm...
    What was the name of that book?
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

The Alaskan Trappers Manual. Great info!

Default video

Wilderness trapping at sportsmans...godd info on some sets that work. Viedo is set in montana but work here.

Join the Alaska Trappers Association, they have general and wolf trapping classes every year.

Default ATA

Join the ATA for sure. Also they hold a basic trapping class and the wolf trapping class. I have not been to the wold class, but the basic class is great. There are a lot of great guys there and you will learn tons. I learned more that weekend then I can remember. ALso the ata has monthly meetings and they usually have someone talk about sets and give a little speach. THey help a lot I think

I will be heading to the next ATA meeting here in anchorage.

Default Trapping Ed

I was going to try to get a few people together this weekend and teach some basics. I live in Anchorage and they will just be the basics this time around. I know it is short notice but, if it doesn't work out I could do another in the future. Please email or pm me if you are interested.

Sorry I just got the message. I would have been up for coming over too. Maybe next time. Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by moosehead08 View Post
    I was going to try to get a few people together this weekend and teach some basics. I live in Anchorage and they will just be the basics this time around. I know it is short notice but, if it doesn't work out I could do another in the future. Please email or pm me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait 1 View Post
    Join the Alaska Trappers Association, they have general and wolf trapping classes every year.
    I was going to suggest the same thing.

There was just a Trapping school about 2 weekends ago here in Fairbanks. Not sure when the wolf trapping will be.

Maybe there will be something more local to your area?
    Lurker.

Wolf trapping school is near Anchorage this coming late Jan or early Feb. Fairbanks area will host it around the same time in 2010. It alternates back and forth each year with odd being Anchorage and even years Fairbanks.

Alaskatrappers.org has some education class info.

Default No worries

I got stood from everyone that said they were interested anyway. So I will be up for it again in the future but, this weekend I need to work. I will be at the Alaska Trappers meeting tomorrow night though if anyone has any questions there.

Default Oops

Just looked in some of the other posts the ATA meeting isn't until next week. I am expired so don't get the card or the magazine. Fixing that on the 18th though.

They sell those Alaska Trappers Manual at Golivers books here in Fairbanks for $20. Just skimming over it looks like a good read. DC

They sell those Alaska Trappers Manual at Golivers books here in Fairbanks for $20. Just skimming over it looks like a good read. DC